LegacyGT.com

My turbo is whining and there is no POWER.

This morning while driving to work my 05 LGT was driving normal. Normal power normal whistle from the turbo. I was almost to work and then I pushed on the gas and I got nothing from the turbo but a whine and no power. There is nothing knocking around inside, it still sounds smooth but there just isnt any power. Now I live in Utah and I was just on a cruise this last week and I let it sit the entire time. Last night I cleaned it off and turned it on for at least 20-30 minutes to let it warm up and get everything circulating. It seemed fine this morning.

GT

105K replaced timing, belts, pulleys and water pump.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in Advance.

Dustin

Stop driving. Tow to reputable Subaru shop. Be sitting down when they give you the diagnosis. Minimum Turbo needs replace remove the banjo bolts, Oil cooler and engine flush.

In the meantime check the oil? Is it low?

Are you tuned, any mods? vehicle history will help

post location people can give insight on shops to go too

research the stories people on the site have posted regarding bad turbos, and them failing. lots of advice, and things you can do to diagnose it. as said above, first stop driving because if it is the turbo you're asking for trouble if its still onthe road.

Why did you let it idle for 20-30 minutes ?

Start it up and drive the car, you don't need to let it warm up. That just allows gas to dilute the oil for a longer period of time.

The car will warm up faster if you drive it.

My wagon sat over the weekend in single digit's. When I started Monday for the drive the work. I start it, clean off the frost on the windows and drive it.

The Spec sit's all week, we load it on Friday evening, start it and drive to VT.

You'll want to remove the banjo filter when you replace the turbo if not sooner.

You'll want a catless up pipe too.

Check the oil level, top it off as needed.

Look for a vacuum line that may have fallen off.

The turbo should not whistle. Its more of a rush of air. Whistle is not good.

Your going to have to remove the down pipe (dp) and check for shaft play on the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for all the input. I havent driven it since it happened. It is just sitting. I am driving my jeep for now until i get some time to look at it. I built my jeep so I have a little mechanically inclined. I just dont have a place to put the car to work on it. It might sit for a little before I can get to it. Ill do my research.

Max capacity~ I just warm it up because I hate the cold and to clear up the windows. Ill get a catless up pipe. If I am correct, I heard there is a "kit" for replacing the turbo, oil cooler, etc. Is that right?!

If i do have to get a new turbo, should I go with the one that is from the 2009-2013 WRX? I heard it would be a good replacement? along with the catless up.. Anything else while I am in there I should look into replacing?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Yes the vf52 is the popular choice.

Contact Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com tell him I sent you. Send him a email and ask him for advice and help.

I bought a lot of my parts from him.

When it comes time fora tune, give this Mike a email http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-alliance-121.html

and have him help you out.

He's keeps both my cars happy.

Here's my rebuild thread, lots of good info and pictures.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks guys. I just checked my oil, and its way low. Below the "L". I never let something like this happen. Im usually pretty caution about watching it and I never expected it to go this fast. The next scheduled oil change was still 1000 miles away. it has been a daily driver and I'm not gunning it hardly at all. Do I add oil in it and fill it up, and see what happens or what?

Thanks guys. I just checked my oil, and its way low. Below the "L". I never let something like this happen. Im usually pretty caution about watching it and I never expected it to go this fast. The next scheduled oil change was still 1000 miles away. it has been a daily driver and I'm not gunning it hardly at all. Do I add oil in it and fill it up, and see what happens or what?

A sudden change in oil consumption points to something broken, like say a blown turbo.

First thing would be pull the downpipe and check the turbo. You can add oil but continuing to drive the car before investigating will likely just make things significantly more expensive.

Yes, See my sig.

Never let these engine get low on oil, alway's keep it topped off. A little over is not a bad thing.

Before the new EJ257 I was topping off the oil every 2/3 day's. All I added was maybe .1 or .2 qt at a time sometimes nothing.

The last time I heard anything like that was with my 97 eclipse gst, and that was after I did a sweet burn out and blew the turbo :cool: but when it happened to mine i did not completely lose power, it was just very very loud.

Unfortunately that is probably what you are hearing, check the turbo for shaft play, in and out = no bueno.

So, I need a new turbo... I want to put a new catless UP as well. Any recommendations on brands? If I do the UP what kind of turbo? I don't think I want a huge one, then I would have to do a ton more the car. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Has anyone in utah heard of DSW Mods out of Murray. He rebuilds turbos and does other work. I have seen his work and he offers a warranty for his work and parts. I am pretty mechanically inclined and can for sure take this out and put it back in. Would it be worth my money and time for him to rebuild it? $600 rebuild price. He would get a brand new center housing and rebuild mine. ported and polished. Verbatim~ "awesome upgrade because no need to retune." An extra $100 for installation. I am planning on Catless Uppipe and turbo back.

thoughts??

Thanks.

I guess your talking about the vf40, not much faith in them.

If he warranty's his work, I guess 600 is not a bad cost,

BRN turbos sells a 16g for not much more then that.

You will need a tune or the 2.2k ohm resistor from Radio Shack

IMO you'll want a Tuner to at least street tune the car, and get it off the OEM MAP. THat MAP is not the best for the car.

okay, Thanks.

Where would you suggest on getting a BRN 16g? Ie, certain dealer you have worked with in the past, or website, etc. What other component, i.e. Up pipe, Down pipe and exhaust brands would you recommend? Should I buy used uppipe, downpipe and exhaust? I have looked on the classifieds here and there are so many options. I dont care so much for loudness. Just power and reliability.

Thanks again.

okay, Thanks.

Where would you suggest on getting a BRN 16g? Ie, certain dealer you have worked with in the past, or website, etc. What other component, i.e. Up pipe, Down pipe and exhaust brands would you recommend? Should I buy used uppipe, downpipe and exhaust? I have looked on the classifieds here and there are so many options. I dont care so much for loudness. Just power and reliability.

Thanks again.

Buy a used STI uppipe to save some money.. It's essentially the same as an aftermarket part for a fraction of the price; I'm sure Max can give you the exact year range that will fit.

As for the downpipe, I love my CNT, however I don't agree with their business practices so if I had to do it again I'd go Invidia.

The catback is up to you... You won't get much power, but you'll likely add noise.

okay, Thanks.

Thanks again.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bolt-up-turbocharger-upgrade-vol-1-closed-119177.html

Now my Tuner is not very happy with anything with a "g" in it. So I went with a vf52. I have stock fueling and oiling with the banjo filters removed on my wagon.

The vf52 came from Mike at http://www.AZPinstalls.com contact him for current pricing.

I bought my Invidia up/dn pipe from http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-alliance-121.html

and have him take care of all my tuning. My Catless Dp is loud without mufflers, with the stock mid pipe back it's not bad at all, in fact it's to quiet for me.

My vf52 was installed at 142,000 miles car almost has 168,000 now.

Archived