LegacyGT.com

09 OB XT Ringland Failure - Back to Stock or Rebuild?

It is possible they are out of round but you can measure that with a bore gauge. Machine shop is more than capable. Also if they are marked size B pistons. You can use oem size A pistons since they are a little bit bigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say stock pistons, turn down the boost to normal DD levels, the new buyer will have fun reliable DD.

See my wagon, Mike tuned it also. 85,000+ miles fun DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Unlikely to be out of round seeing as compression and leakdown were perfect on the other 3 cylinders and honestly cylinder 4 walls look more pristine than some of the others. This is why i'm taking it to the shop though - to be certain we have good hardware before rebuilding - its just not worth all that time and expense without knowing you have good underpinnings. I really don't want to do it again!

I run my Cobb APv3 on the dash at all times. We have tons of logs and I run active display of Boost, AFR, Knock, Timing, etc. Its one of those pay to play kind of things. As most of us Subaru nuts with modified cars would say "Its not if your going to break something but rather WHEN!". At least the next owner will have one less thing to worry about for awhile (assuming it gets sold modified).

Max Capacity is right - running a bit lower boost these cars are very fun and reliable but most of us have been caught by some kind of failure or another.

I will truly miss the car in the end because its a real joy to drive. And its pure SLEEPER in the wagon form!

FWIW, I don't monitor anything on my wagon. Mike did the tune, there's no reason to do all that data logging and stuff. The car just runs like it came this way from the factory.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I run my Cobb APv3 on the dash at all times. We have tons of logs and I run active display of Boost, AFR, Knock, Timing, etc..

so you don't recall moments where you got lots of registered feedback knocks at one point? Were your LV always free of knock?

Knock has been really non existent. I get a couple Single knock events at very low rpm which we tied to the turbo heat shield vibrating against the process west tmic mount a couple years ago. Took off the heat shield and nose went away as did knock. Put it back on and bent the bracket which worked for a while. Every 6-12 months I have to take off the heat shield on the turbo and re align it to avoid the clanking noise at Low rpm (from vibration). For some reason it always works it's way back and must be around the frequency the sensor is looking for.

Who is derp? Tell him or her to PM me.

My learning view is very clean. There Are two low load low rpm cells where the false knock gets detected. I had recently fixed the heat shield so recent learning view and logs had no knock.

Edited by SWP XT

Knock has been really non existent. I get a couple Single knock events at very low rpm which we tied to the turbo heat shield vibrating against the process west tmic mount a couple years ago. Took off the heat shield and nose went away as did knock. Put it back on and bent the bracket which worked for a while. Every 6-12 months I have to take off the heat shield on the turbo and re align it to avoid the clanking noise at Low rpm (from vibration). For some reason it always works it's way back and must be around the frequency the sensor is looking for.

Who is derp? Tell him or her to PM me.

My learning view is very clean. There Are two low load low rpm cells where the false knock gets detected. I had recently fixed the heat shield so recent learning view and logs had no knock.

Very interesting. Then it sounds like you were asking too much of the stock pistons then.

Can't remember... You upgraded your fuel rails too right?

But you were using the stock fuel rails then right? can't remember what the 09 stock fuel rails set up looks like but kept reading :rolleyes: on this forum that the stock fuel rails on the 05 may have a tendency to get cylinder 4 to run a bit leaner than the other 3.

Back from Machine shop with update. Block and heads are all perfect. Crank was measured in all locations to be sure, block was inspected, heads checked for flatness and for excessive cam journal wear. Clearances for cam's is right on.

Machine shop laughed and then asked why on earth I took it apart. So unless there is another valid reason not to do so I will be doing the following:

1) All new Main and Rod bearings (Probably go with a slightly upgraded like King or ACL - Any thoughts?) Cost is marginally more expensive than OEM seems like the right thing to do for the extra $50 or so.

2) I'll be replacing all 4 pistons and rings with OEM Parts.

3) Obviously I'll need a full Engine re-assembly gasket kit

4) The oil pickup was tested for leaks but I know this is a point of failure – How much more is the aftermarket one that allegedly doesn’t suffer this failure. Remember mine only has 58k on it.

5) New timing belt

6) New Clutch assembly (Stock at this point unless there is another suggestion that has stock feel)

7) New Thermostat

What am I Missing? Other suggestions?

Yep. Oil line is a 1k dollar dealer job

Wait what? The 5 inch rubber hose that's a PITA to get to?

I feel a lot better about the afternoon I spent swearing at that and my AVO inlet right now.