LegacyGT.com

Disable seatbelt chime - no cutting required!!!

Alright, so I was pretty fed up with the whole chiming thing and was trying to figure out a way to pull the base of the seatbelt apart b/c I was going to unplugg whatever was causing the stupid chime to continually go off. I tried the 30x click thing and it'd work sometimes and other times it wouldn't.

So, today I had a little bit of freetime and decided to see if I couldn't pop the housing off. I used 2 standard eyeglass screw drivers, pretty thin, and was able to pry off the cover to the base of the seatbelt. Surprisingly enough when I managed to open it up, all there is a a white plastic switch that needs to be slid down and that will turn off the chime permanently.

Below are some pictures I took while doing it, it only took about 15 min and very minimal damage to the housing, I'm sure if you have something thinner to slide in there, you won't damage the housing at all. I'm going to go back in later and put some tape over it to ensure that it stays that way.

Enjoy.

Here are the pictures of what I did for those that want to do it as well.

For any questions feel free to PM me.

IMG_7271.JPG.e9896abba0579e4d5ea6fb5003de3361.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG.ac75b9794374db99496de7c6a5ea3ad1.JPG

IMG_7268.thumb.jpg.96a0db816aeb28dba2e3ac2407fbf26c.jpg

IMG_7266.JPG.4b539f935f79fe27da9a5fda214d02e2.JPG

IMG_7267.thumb.jpg.c3b510c36b63dc9c61a0e89c561e0d2c.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice but theres an easier way, with no cutting required and no disassembly of the locking mechanism....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52672&highlight=disable+chime

It's not disassembling the locking mechanism, I'd never tempt to play with that part of the seatbelt, just the plastic housing around it, and it's another way to do it instead of cutting the wire as some have done under the seat or for those who don't feel comfortable with disconnecting a wire.

Just another option, and not a lot of work to do it.

P.S. Still wear your seatbelts, as advocated by the law, smokey the bear, the popo and other folks who care for your safety etc.... :)

Guest Gitster
It's not disassembling the locking mechanism, I'd never tempt to play with that part of the seatbelt, just the plastic housing around it, and it's another way to do it instead of cutting the wire as some have done under the seat or for those who don't feel comfortable with disconnecting a wire.

Just another option, and not a lot of work to do it.

P.S. Still wear your seatbelts, as advocated by the law, smokey the bear, the popo and other folks who care for your safety etc.... :)

I know, I got it. Options are good :)

Just an update, I went back and put a piece of tape over the plastic piece to keep it in place and it actually doesn't work. You can't buckle the seatbelt with it in place, but without the tape it still works and the chime doesn't return.

It is so nice not constantly hearing that chime anymore!!!! :)

So, the next question is - does it work on the passenger side?

Purely academic, of course...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

So, the next question is - does it work on the passenger side?

Purely academic, of course...

Well I took apart the passenger side first to see what the beep was, and of course there's no switch like that, but from what I've found the passanger side is shut off as well and hasn't beeped since doing it. I'm pretty sure of it, but havn't taken too many people in my car to really notice if it's off.

• 1 month later...
I nominate you for F*in genius of the day award!

Wrong, he's a freak'in god.

Just did this in about 2 minutes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Yes you need to leave the cover open a bit but who cares.

It's only a subaru anyway's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Wrong, he's a freak'in god.

Just did this in about 2 minutes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Yes you need to leave the cover open a bit but who cares.

It's only a subaru anyway's.

If you piece it back together right, it should go right back in and not be open at all. I think you just need to pop the top back over the part that flips down.

Also, since the earlier posts, I have had a chance to test it out, and it DOES disable the passenger side as well. No more chimes except when you first start the car!

?????

And this was easier than the 20 click method?

It's more permanent than the 20 click method and is only undone if the dealer or someone goes in there and flips that white switch back. The 20 click method can and does reset itself at time. I know I tried the 20 click method numerous times and it didn't always work, this does.

I guarantee you or double your money back :lol:

(P.S. unless you give me money, I can't give you double back if you are unhappy with it)

?????

And this was easier than the 20 click method?

YEP, IMO much easier.

I use two small common screwdrivers. The kind geeks wear in the shirt pockets. I'm sure you know or have one or two... :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Also, since the earlier posts, I have had a chance to test it out, and it DOES disable the passenger side as well. No more chimes except when you first start the car!

Yes I had my friend in the car Saturday and she didn't set off the stupid chime.

I asked her if she wanted me to fix her chime, 05 OB. She said it doesn't bother her.

women...

Alright, so I was pretty fed up with the whole chiming thing and was trying to figure out a way to pull the base of the seatbelt apart b/c I was going to unplugg whatever was causing the stupid chime to continually go off. I tried the 30x click thing and it'd work sometimes and other times it wouldn't.

So, today I had a little bit of freetime and decided to see if I couldn't pop the housing off. I used 2 standard eyeglass screw drivers, pretty thin, and was able to pry off the cover to the base of the seatbelt. Surprisingly enough when I managed to open it up, all there is a a white plastic switch that needs to be slid down and that will turn off the chime permanently.

Below are some pictures I took while doing it, it only took about 15 min and very minimal damage to the housing, I'm sure if you have something thinner to slide in there, you won't damage the housing at all. I'm going to go back in later and put some tape over it to ensure that it stays that way.

Enjoy.

Here are the pictures of what I did for those that want to do it as well.

For any questions feel free to PM me.

One addendum which avoids leaving any visible damage marks on the cover: the seatbelt receptor sits in a rubber sleeve. Peel the rubber sleeve back and twist the belt receptor so it's pretty much horizontal. Then you can take a small flathead screwdriver and pry the entire cover off from near the base - it just pops off. Be careful not to insert the screwdriver too far to avoid damaging the wires inside. Do the mod as shown above and then snap the cover back on and roll the rubber sleeve back up. The rubber sleeve will cover any screwdriver marks from popping off the cover.

One addendum which avoids leaving any visible damage marks on the cover: the seatbelt receptor sits in a rubber sleeve. Peel the rubber sleeve back and twist the belt receptor so it's pretty much horizontal. Then you can take a small flathead screwdriver and pry the entire cover off from near the base - it just pops off. Be careful not to insert the screwdriver too far to avoid damaging the wires inside. Do the mod as shown above and then snap the cover back on and roll the rubber sleeve back up. The rubber sleeve will cover any screwdriver marks from popping off the cover.

:whore:,000,000. Pulling back the rubber sleeve and then prying from the bottom works well. No more chime on passenger side.. YAY!

WOW! you are my freakin hero!!

this is so much better than the 20times in/out or the pull plug out from under seat! it took me less than 20 seconds to do! took an exacto knife to pry to bottom, pulled the seat belt plug case off, pushed white tab down, and then snap the case back on!!! that was so simple and it got rid of the chime on both driver and passenger side!

the other pull plug out bottom trick doesnt get rid of the passenger side, so thats the biggest drawback of that one, but this trick gets rid of both! AND its easier to do!

• 2 weeks later...
I'll have to try this. How much of a pain in the ass is it to take the cover off?

It's really not too bad to do, I know it took me a little while longer to do b/c I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing, but if you follow everyone's tips and what I said, it's really not that bad. Probably shouldn't take longer than 10 min

Ever think about actually wearing the seatbelt?? I do it all the time. Best way to keep the chime off.
I do too, but I don't like to listen to the damn thing chiming just because I have a couple of books on the passenger seat.

Archived