LegacyGT.com

3.0R pride!

Alright, I know the usual drill. If you want more power, go get the LGT. Yes, I know it is significantly cheaper for me to just get a LGT and mod it. But some part of me just doesn't want to give up on the 3.0R engine. I know previously I created a thread about increasing the power of a N/A engine but after many months of research, I am pretty certain that there isn't an aftermarket manufacturer that supporting the 3.0R trim; both local and foreign.

So, I have a few grand to spare and I want to increase the power of my 3.0R. I have no idea where to start. Some people mentioned something about ripping the engine out and changing the internals. What internals am I suppose to be specifically be looking at changing? I am avoiding the raptor supercharger route as it is way out of my budget range ($6,900). I am looking to keep everything under $4,000 and increase the power significantly. Maybe 280whp or something.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could turbo it, but you will at minimum need to change the CR of the engine to handle the additional power reliably. Then you may want to look at pistons, rings, gaskets, etc once you are in there. Your few grand will go quickly.

You could turbo it, but you will at minimum need to change the CR of the engine to handle the additional power reliably. Then you may want to look at pistons, rings, gaskets, etc once you are in there. Your few grand will go quickly.

I read about someone on this forum from Australia turbo his 3.0R but it costed him nearly $10,000 to do it. If I changed the pistons, rings, gaskets etc. would I be able to increase the power without the turbo?

I read about someone on this forum from Australia turbo his 3.0R but it costed him nearly $10,000 to do it. If I changed the pistons, rings, gaskets etc. would I be able to increase the power without the turbo?

No simply swapping to forged internals wont net you any power gains and the Aussie that boosted his Legacy had a EZ36R, you have a EZ30R big differences in the internals and ignition system. Also he ran a twin turbo setup which added to the cost.

On a EZ30R boost is achieved with a single turbo and compared to boosting the EZ36R it is less complicated. You could skip the boost and go for a good tune and pull out a few more ponies and be less prone blowing your engine ;)

Thanks for the input guys. I am still trying to avoid the force induction route; too much power and the auto tranny probably won't be able to handle the power.

Sorry for my noobness. But if i have forged internals, will that allow me to force more power out of the car with a good tune?

The forged internals would only be of benefit if you increased the compression ratio... but even then, you wouldn't be able to increase the compression enough to warrant new rods unless you found high compression pistons...which likely don't exist for the 3.0.

Perhaps you could get the head decked slightly to increase CR, and get a custom set of headers made. Then a tune. There really isn't much to do though, and it'll all be homebrew.

It sounds like you have the money and you're willing to spend it... and I'd love to see someone get some good power out of their 3.0 even though many are unable to without F/I.

maybe you could have your cams reground to increase lift and duration. get the heads/intake ported, free flowing exhaust and intakes.

you maybe able to mill the heads to increase compression ration. i would seek multiple EXPERT advices before you mess with that though.

If you arent going to turbo or supercharge it i wouldnt bother with forged internals unless you are going to get some 12:1 pistons or something.

then get it tuned. you may pick up 20-30 hp.

Those are only 2 wide, the H6 has 3 cylinders per bank.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering if something similar such as this will work for the 3.0R engine. Because if possible, I want to fabricate something similar to this.

Hey there, new member on here, long time member on club.liberty.asn.au (unofficial australian LGT version ;D) i too have a 3.0R and ive been searching ways to get more power out of her.

as far as power goes, have a read of this http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15812 its one of my mods i have done. also, its worth getting a new exhaust, if you can get your hands on an xforce system, some high flow cats, and maybe headers too. we, in aus are still trying to find some headers worth buying. once all the above mods are done, get yourself a good tune, and should aim for an increase of between 15 and 35kw at the wheels, depends on how good your tuner knows the 3.0R engines, and how much you tweek it

Hey there, new member on here, long time member on club.liberty.asn.au (unofficial australian LGT version ;D) i too have a 3.0R and ive been searching ways to get more power out of her.

as far as power goes, have a read of this http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15812 its one of my mods i have done. also, its worth getting a new exhaust, if you can get your hands on an xforce system, some high flow cats, and maybe headers too. we, in aus are still trying to find some headers worth buying. once all the above mods are done, get yourself a good tune, and should aim for an increase of between 15 and 35kw at the wheels, depends on how good your tuner knows the 3.0R engines, and how much you tweek it

Hey, thanks for the info!

Do you mind elaborating on those mods? I couldn't find them in the thread that you linked.

I am surprised that you say with those upgrades it will net between 15 and 35kw at wheels. According to a tuner whom has been tuning 3.0R in the states, he said with a tune alone, he could net up to 20kw. I would suspect that the mod will significant give more than 35kw but I am not an expert.

Hey, thanks for the info!

Do you mind elaborating on those mods? I couldn't find them in the thread that you linked.

I am surprised that you say with those upgrades it will net between 15 and 35kw at wheels. According to a tuner whom has been tuning 3.0R in the states, he said with a tune alone, he could net up to 20kw. I would suspect that the mod will significant give more than 35kw but I am not an expert.

i have been quoted a 15kw - 20kw increase at the wheels too with a tune alone, but with the intake (link provided) high flow cats and extractors/headers, they should (hopefully) net another 10/15kw at the wheels too.

the maker we have in aus for the headers/extractors has said he has found a 5kw increase in power in the mid/high range revs for the Raptor SC, and is making a few sets for an NA application, with the power gain in the low/mid rev ranges

the thread i provided you with was my intake mod i did earlier this month, something i would recommend :icon_chee

i have been quoted a 15kw - 20kw increase at the wheels too with a tune alone, but with the intake (link provided) high flow cats and extractors/headers, they should (hopefully) net another 10/15kw at the wheels too.

the maker we have in aus for the headers/extractors has said he has found a 5kw increase in power in the mid/high range revs for the Raptor SC, and is making a few sets for an NA application, with the power gain in the low/mid rev ranges

the thread i provided you with was my intake mod i did earlier this month, something i would recommend :icon_chee

I did read your thread. However, I was told that the intake in the legacy is a pretty good one and any upgrade isn't worth it. Did you manage to dyno your car to see how much additional power is it putting down? Also, do you know where to find high flow cats and extractors/headers? I am interested in any of these mods. :D

the stock intake is very well designed, and if i get a defect, i will be reverting back to stock albiet a few mods. the part in the new intake that adds the power is the intake pipe itself, being a large pipe, and having a smaller diameter pipe on the inside which increases airflow into the engine 3 times faster than the stock intake pipe.

i got my high flow cats off ebay, im a bit skeptical if they will work or not, but i belive they will. and the extractors/headers are being made via someone on the forum, there is a thread here http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14048 im not sure how different/similar the USDM and AUDM 3.0R engine bays are, but i dont see any difficulties fitting wise

the stock intake is very well designed, and if i get a defect, i will be reverting back to stock albiet a few mods. the part in the new intake that adds the power is the intake pipe itself, being a large pipe, and having a smaller diameter pipe on the inside which increases airflow into the engine 3 times faster than the stock intake pipe.

i got my high flow cats off ebay, im a bit skeptical if they will work or not, but i belive they will. and the extractors/headers are being made via someone on the forum, there is a thread here http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14048 im not sure how different/similar the USDM and AUDM 3.0R engine bays are, but i dont see any difficulties fitting wise

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the intake. Initially, I wanted to upgrade the intake but I was convinced otherwise. Keep me posted on the intake! :)

i will do :D its been good so far and i did notice a change initially, for the better and has since stayed that way :D im more than happy to help with anything, as far as power mods go, hopefully ill get my two cats on soon, and delete the third cat for a smoother acceleration.

i will do :D its been good so far and i did notice a change initially, for the better and has since stayed that way :D im more than happy to help with anything, as far as power mods go, hopefully ill get my two cats on soon, and delete the third cat for a smoother acceleration.

Hey SH30RB, could you give me a quick run down by what do you mean by deleting the third cat? I read your whole thread in the aussie forums but I don't quite understand what is happening. If you delete the cat, will it affect the emission status of the car? What will happen to the car?

i think it might, but because my car is so old the stock cats would be fudged to say the least anyway. so by swapping out the two cats closest to the engine with some high flow, it will give a little power increase.

with the third cat, the exhaust comes from two pipes, into the cat, then exits with one pipe. by deleting, it would just be replacing the cat with some pipe work, making the exhaust pipes come from two to one

http://i.imgur.com/d1tNP.jpg

that isnt my car, someone elses 3.0R but its what im planning on doing.

it also helps with the drive by wire problem

Archived