LegacyGT.com

Best Dash Adhesive

jmwestlund

I have and XM Onyx that I want to mount on top of my dash in my 08 Legacy. The adhesive that came with the mount doesn't stick very well. What would be a good alternative that will actually hold this in place but that I can remove at a later date without ruining the dash? It needs to be something that will hold up in pretty hot conditions, it regularly gets over 110 degrees here in the summer.

Thanks

when I was mounting my gauge pod on my dash, I had a problem sticking anything to the dash. I was using 3m tape and only after using rubbing alcohol to clean all the oils off the dash did it stick. Clean mounting spot with rubbing alcohol, use some 3m tape and you will be good to go.

Like gtsubie said, proper prep work goes a long way, with the 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape. Pay attention to initial temperatures, too.

Still, if the unit's defying gravity and/or you live in an area that's really sunny and hot in the summer, you might have a problem after a few months, or even weeks. In such cases, items such as the SuperLock fastener from RadioShack, which uses 3M's VHB adhesive (it'll still break off clean, via the same procedure as you'd use to remove the 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape, so don't worry), will last longer - but still, you should anticipate potential yearly replacement.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I never liked anything stuck to the dash for 2 reasons. One was the adhesion issue, the other is the discoloration of the dash from the sun. If you leave it there for a while I'm sure you will end up with a darker circle where that mount was.

If it's on the dash anyway why not opt for one that sticks to the windshield.

If you leave it there for a while I'm sure you will end up with a darker circle where that mount was.

^ That's a good point that I never considered! :eek:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I never liked anything stuck to the dash for 2 reasons. One was the adhesion issue, the other is the discoloration of the dash from the sun. If you leave it there for a while I'm sure you will end up with a darker circle where that mount was.

If it's on the dash anyway why not opt for one that sticks to the windshield.

I agree 100%. I would explore other possible mount options, windshield, cup holder, etc. If none of those appeal to you, then I'd go with the dash.

Archived