LegacyGT.com

Line inputs and outputs for 05 legacy radios

viskoe

Hello everyone,

I own a australian spec legacy 05 model and have also had to solve the problems with limitations of the head unit.

I was not happy with OEM speakers and substituted them, unfortunately the OEM deck is somewhat limited in the power output (25w x4). So i was forced to add some line outputs for the 4 channels and also a remote +12V signal to switch the remote amps on.

This implementation has been working well so far and I havent blown the head unit . I am running an amp under each seat and the now the volume level is much better.

I did some checking around the cct hoping to decipher the CD changer but the info I needed was not forthcomming. I didnt investigate the possibilty of line inputs for Ipods as I dont own one but I dont think it would be to hard.

I was hoping that the combined knowledge of this board could help me with some answers to some questions.

Q1 Is the CD stacker unit option from subaru in the states the 929 model that is supplied by Kenwood? I haveread threads where people have searched for stackers and found subaru would not supply the cable seperately?

Q2 My Headunit appears to be a Kenwood unit (standard 2.5i radio with climate control HVAC system) Are the US units similar? does anybody have any part no or photos of rear of unit??

Q3 Does anybody have any info on the Kenwood cd stacker, I need some info on the MZ bus system that these units use, the cheaper Kenwoods use a different bus protocol, I am trying to detemine if we have any other CD stacker options. Possibly the excelon brand may be MZ bus, what type of cable/connector do they use??

Q4 I can check my notes for Line inputs , it may be possible to use the selector button on the frount to switch to a different input but if the Head units are different then their may be little point.

I have attached two pics, oneshows from left to right the audio amp, the power /speaker connector(white) , The CD changer plug (Black) and top Right the Heater/cooling plug (black) the cables on the far left are the outputs to the external amps.

The other pic is a front view of a dissasembled audio unit.

Rgds

viskoe

radio_a.jpg.010e18b0c53a2cd78ec761f1d7b58977.jpg

radio_b.jpg.f32970e039f2d2e3800867a92b8470ff.jpg

Hello,

I know nothing about line-out for our HeadUnit, but I think that your HeadUnit is the same as in Europe.

As you see in this thread : http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17839 , topic#1, the Black 20 pins plug is for Extra cd changer option or for Navi DVD option for voice guidance.

My Subaru Outback was preequipped with Navi plugged in this black hole. One month ago my dealer removed Navi option (too expensive for me) and now the black plug with 20 pins is free.

So I am sure that line in + left, line in + right, and line in ground is 3 pins from those 20 pins.

Maybe it's the same for line out because 20 pins is too much for cd-changer, normally 7 to 16 pins is enough.

I dont' know if USDM HeadUnit are equipped with this plug, all I know is USDM don't have CHR button.

Kenwood C929 cd changer is a special changer for Subaru, I made a research.

Archived