LegacyGT.com

Subie Neubie - 08 XT

Greetings all,

Traded in my Diesel F250 a few months ago for something more nimble, but still need good utility. Drove a number of different cars and once I drove the Subie I was hooked.

What sort of performance options should we see come out for the 2.5 XT in the next year or so. I've looked around and haven't seen much in the way of exhaust systems. Some partial fits, but nothing that's turbo-back. Anyone have any ideas? Also, what kind of performance benefit would I get from the STI intake or the Perrin intake?

Thanks,

Matt

Exhaust-wise, if it fits an GT, it'll probably fit an XT. You will probably need longer hangers, and the tips may not extend as far as you'd like.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I like it. The rest of my car is essentially stock, so it's not too loud at all. Plus the included silencers that you can remove can put you at near stock sound levels if you want. But cruising down the highway, I haven't had to turn up my radio, or even windows down. At this point I'd say it's equivalent to tire noise, maybe a little louder. Nice low rumble, not too loud and not too quiet.

Jamie - get the Cobb DP, and you'll notice a nice improvement in the sound. Here's one for 1/2 price in NY/NJ ... whitetiger is a good guy.

I ran the Cobb catted DP with the stock CBE for a while prior to getting my Borla and was able to stg II immediately ... I cleared it with Christian at Cobb first but that's a great mod to accomany the AP.

So, lemme see if I understand... Easier to do a cat-back exhaust on a newer 08 XT, but may have minor fitment issues. What kind of performance benefits would I get from something like the Megan kit?

And what about the STI vs Perrin intakes...?

Oh, and the Accessport, does that stay plugged in or just 'flash' the program?

With any (or all) of this would I experience any check engine lights?

Yes, complete newbie at this stuff. Know a metric a55load about other stuff, but none of this...

;)

So, lemme see if I understand... Easier to do a cat-back exhaust on a newer 08 XT, but may have minor fitment issues. What kind of performance benefits would I get from something like the Megan kit?

And what about the STI vs Perrin intakes...?

Oh, and the Accessport, does that stay plugged in or just 'flash' the program?

With any (or all) of this would I experience any check engine lights?

Yes, complete newbie at this stuff. Know a metric a55load about other stuff, but none of this...

;)

We all have to start somewhere. I'm still somewhat new to subarus myself, but this palce is full of good information. :)

The Accessport does just the 'flash.' The part that makes it wonderful is that other tuners can use it's interface so you can flip between stock or better spark/fuel maps. Very flexible and neat features.

The CBE (catback exhaust) doesn't do a great amount powerwise, but will help spool times a little. In terms of exhaust in general, your biggest restriction is going to be the downpipe (from the turbo to the catback). You definitely need an AP (accessport) or a professional tune to really utilize the DP (downpipe), otherwise you'll get a check engine light. Earlier models (namely 05-06) had a cat in the up-pipe (UP) as well, but ours was deleted so it is an unnecessary mod for us.

Intakes can do a bit, but some of the off the shelf maps (like those delivered with your AP) can't account for them, so they are often best left for a car that has been pro-tuned.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Jamiesong, yes it sure is.

So if I think along the following lines, would this setup work?

Accessport, new downpipe, catback to factory mufflers?

Does downpipe + catback = turbo back? or is there another element in there?

Now would the STI intake cause the computer to glitch as well, or just non OEM aftermarket?

Only thing I would somewhat disagree with is the exhaust. The stock exhaust is tiny and the factory mufflers are very restrictive.

As far as the bumper goes here is the thread where I installed it. It can be purchased from japanparts.com.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69935

If you go to any subaru website in the world (like austrailia) other than the US you will see this bumper on the outbacks. Why they didnt put it on the US one I have no idea.

some people ahve done what you were looking at with the stock mufflers, as some vendors here offer just the mid+y-pipe. And yes, that would equate the turbo back which is Cobb Stage 2.

My understanding is that any modified intake (even just a K&N panel filter from what I'm told) will modify your MAF readings and cause the car to lean out which is why you'd want the protune to compensate for it.

Thanks Greg!

No problem, if you do decide to do this feel free to contact me with any questions. :)

Just remember to buy only the skin, or a painted skin not the kit I purchased. I mentioned this in my write up.

Archived