LegacyGT.com

Ok so 08' spec b vs. the rest of em help me out

i have been going back an forth deciding between cars. I found an 08 spec b with 8k miles basically brand new for around 28800 (hopefully i can talk it down a lil) do you think thats worth it or should i go for an 08 legacy gt. for a little less? I need manual trans. and like the idea of 6 speed i heard it was better then the 5 but i feel like 29 grand is too much for a subaru when bmws and audis for the same price with a little more miles. im just worried about the maintness of the german cars being so expensive. How is the legacy on repairs for stuff thats not covered under warantee?...anythign i get will be certified. Ugh im so indecisive someone decide for me

if we decide for you, will you promise not to be angry if the decision turns out wrong? :lol:

have you driven both?

i'd go for the specb for cachet' and the 6-spd, since you like manual.

good luck!

i'm way out of my depth . . .

I own a Spec-B. Do it. That is a good price. Don't think you can talk them down too much. It is still an '08, and they have been holding value quite well so far. I have had mine for a year already, and I am still thrilled with that car everyday.

The 6-speed trans is totally worth it alone. Not to mention all the aluminum suspension parts, A-arms, lower controller arms, etc. I haven't done much mods to it yet, and I still smoke A4's and 328 BMW's regularly.

Hope this helps.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

I found an [xx model year subaru with exact trim level and known options and xx amt of miles] basically brand new for around 28800

i feel like 29 grand is too much for a subaru when [no model year given, no trim level and no specified mileage] bmws and [no model year given, no trim level and no specified mileage] audis for the same price with a little more miles. Ugh im so indecisive someone decide for me

yes, i think you should get a 1980 fwd non-turbo 4 cyl. audi w/under 100K miles for the same price instead of the spec b

I am in a similar position (of will be in a couple of months when I am ready to buy). I am struggling between paying in the upper 20s for Spec.B, especially when you can get any of these (though not quite as well optioned as the subie) for around the same price (with more miles though):

1. 06/07 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro -- semiauto, decent?

2. 06 BMW 330xi

3. 07 Infiniti G35x -- auto only :(

4. 04/05 Audi S4 (crappy gas mileage & ~40k miles)

5. Audi A4 (a bagillion of these on the road)

6. 05 BMW 330xi (several k cheaper)

7. Mazdaspeed3 (way cheaper & fun but FWD)

I know most of the above will have better build quality than the spec.B, but I too am worried about the potential repair costs down the line. You have to figure the german cars to have 2x the cost for the same repair.

The problem is this: For $28-30k, there are way too many good options if you want a used car with under 25k miles.

i agree..i dont like that i see a million a4's everywhere i go its as common as seeing a civic. but i do like the car its nice great interior sturdy car but im worried about having to pay 150 bucks for an oil change and 1500 for a new clutch or something like that...how are the prices for maintness on the subby?

Being an Audi tech I have an 08 spec B. That alone should tell you something. I was however only looking at buying a new car though.

Since 06 Audi has severly scaled back what they cover under warranty. Bulbs, wiper blades, brakes, clutches, batteries on 06's< are only covered for the first year or 12k miles. WE haven't seen a lot of trans problems (other then fwd cvts). 2.0T''s have had a few problems especially on the early ones. Ideally if you want a new bodystyle A4 find a 05.5. The warranty is better one them and covers more things. The A3 3.2L uses ahaldex awd system which isn't a true quattro. The dsg trans is ok, takes some getting used to. I honestly believe that car costs way to much for what it is.

If you aren't planning on doing major mods to the car the LGT 5spd is plenty tough enough for everyday driving.

These questions are a dime a dozen.

I have owned from Toyotas, Mercedes, to now a Land Rover along with my 08 Spec-B.

Being a "car guy" and wanting real back seats, there is no other option...for the $$$ period.

Now owning/modding a 2002 WRX and being a part of NASIOC.com from day one I can say that from my experience Subarus are very reliable! I have no problems modding my 08 Spec-B and not caring about the factory warranty.

The LGT specifically the Spec-B won't leave you wanting for anything else. Although it does somewhat if driving a status symbol is important to you.

It's quiet, looks good inside and out, has all the nice amenities (heated seats, steering wheel buttons, to the Nav). Now fit and finish is real good for a Subaru but not quite up to par with some of the cars on your list, but it's good enough to impress many people from all walks of life.

To summarize, status symbol, gas mileage, and a notch down on fit/finish are your only reasons to consider anything else.

Now if you throw in it's performance potential,...fair luxury, reliability, and cost, not to mention a blast to drive (I was never a point A to point B person) then this ends here.

Buy the Spec-B! 8k on an 08' is nothing, and for $28k...not bad. To give you some perspective, my $35.8k Spec-B was talked down to $32, but I'd buy it used for $28.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Now owning/modding a 2002 WRX and being a part of NASIOC.com from day one I can say that from my experience Subarus are very reliable! I have no problems modding my 08 Spec-B and not caring about the factory warranty.

Between engine fires, wheel bearings, and synchros my warranty coverage has been several thousand dollars in parts and labor in less than 12 months of ownership. Maybe my car is an outlier, but it is never-the-less a data point.

lol

Just to throw another wrench into the works, you may want to also look at a Volvo S60r or V70r. 300 factory hp, awd (unfortunately Haldex system), factory brembo brakes. and free scheduled maintanance.

I coulda bought one that was traded in instead of my spec B new, but I at the time I wanted a new car.

When a Spec B is 45,000 for a 2008 at 28,000$ for a 08 Spec B...makes me wish I had gone state side and purchased it and taken the hit on the warranty issues of paying for it here and then submitting to SOA...for 28,000 I got a NA2.5i wagon with some luxury upgrades...mine you I love the wagon...but for the price..go for the Spec B.

Archived