LegacyGT.com

Transmission flush *I need your help*

I plan on changing the transmission fluid and differentials this weekend.

Question #1: Should I buy the fluid from a subaru dealership?

Question #2: What kind of fluid for the differentials, our cars have 2, correct? Do they both use the same differential fluids?

Sorry for such noob questions. I tried searching.

For 5MT, front diff and transmission share the same fluid. Rear diff is by itself.

Note of clarification: the way I first read invar's post, it sounded like he was saying that that the front diff and the transmission use the same type of fluid and that the rear uses something else. I believe what that long thread says (and what invar is actually saying is) that the front diff and tranny actually share the same closed fluid system. Whatever you put in the tranny is what is going to be circulated through the front diff as well. The rear diff is in a different system, but you can put the same extra-s gear oil in there too. Read the thread for further questions. GL. :)

^-- Yes, thanks for the clarification.

And to further elaborate, fluid type is 75W90 GL-5 for the front and rear. The front/tranny fluid can NOT have friction modifiers in it. But the rear diff CAN.

More info here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/which-tranny-fluid-use-159199.html?p=3337213

Again, all found from a little searching.

Archived