LegacyGT.com

Custom-made Sport Grill: S402 Replica Walkthrough ('05-'07 Legacy)

nospmoht04

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are you going to fill the gap between the insert and the oem grill ?

Once the insert is attached and dried in the center I'll be able to press it into the sides a little more and everything will get a little closer. After that I'll attach each spot with the patch panel adhesive. You can use pieces of tape to make sure it all dries perfectly flat and when it does I'll sand it into shape a bit and you wont even notice it.

With a dremel and sandpaper you can sculpt the stuff.

Edited by nospmoht04

I like that 'set back' slightly look.

Just FYI, whatever black paint you used originally isn't holding up well to rock chips. I'm not trying to blame you or anything, just want to let you know so you can use something a little more stout this next go around.

Is it the inner insert that's chipping? Because it's a pretty slick plastic. I plan on scuffing it up more and using adhesion promoter this time around. It takes a lot of time to scuff up each specific honeycomb shape but if it's needed I'll have to do it. I was considering an epoxy primer but I feel like it's going to be too thick and it's quite a bit more expensive.

The JDM honeycomb this is designed after doesn't fit Rev A-C JDM GT bumpers. It will fit direct on Rev D+ (JDM/EDM 07-08) with the spec.B JDM bumper, or with mods to the earlier year cars with the spec.B bumper. If you have the GT bumper (I have the same one) the opening is smaller so the JDM honeycomb is too tall for the opening (I tried to figure out a way and it just wouldn't work). I went with the JDM sport mesh grill for an aggressive option that fits with that JDM GT bumper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Been waiting for a long while at the top of the list. Glad OP is back in production, even if limited to a few more.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Hey guys, grille is coming out nice. Had a few delays with having to order more materials and vacation and whatnot, but I've been working on it a few nights in a row and have gotten a lot done. I'm very happy with how this one is coming out. I went with the slightly set back look like I was saying and the adhesive job is coming out awesome. It's very clean and smooth looking and I haven't even sanded anything yet. I've got it at work right now and a lot of guys around the shop are really impressed so that's cool. I'll bring it home tonight and get a few pictures posted.

I've got a few little spots to add some more adhesive to touch it up and then I'll sand it all out. After that it's paint and primer work and it's good to go besides the emblem which is easy. Having made one already it's going way easier than the first time around and it shows. So yeah, pics tomorrow and I'll go from there.