LegacyGT.com

Tail lights won't turn on

slowurroll

Ok electrical gurus. I need some input. Car is an 05 Legacy. A few days ago I put LED front turn signals in to start completing my LED exterior lighting. Afterwards I noticed that my tail lights don't light up when I turn my headlights on. My turn signals, reverse lights, brake lights and headlights all work without an issue. It's only the tail lights when I turn on the headlights that don't turn on. I checked the fuses. The fuse for the tails was blown. Replaced it. Twice. Every time I start the car after replacing it, it blows again. I've tried this with both LED and non-LED bulbs in the tail/brake like socket. Issue still remains. I've tried flipping the switch on top of the steering column that some forum users have talked about. Nothing.

I have a couple theories but am wondering if anyone else ran into this and knows of a fix. Either A) there is a broken wire somewhere B) there is a problem with the turn signal stalk that is causing the fuse to pop each time I turn the lights on or C) there is a load issue with having all LED lights (minus fogs and headlights). Am I on the right track with possible issues? I bought load resistors to throw on for the turn signals so that may help. I was using an aftermarket flasher from Diode Dynamics instead. After getting the load resistors installed, what should I try next or what do you think is the likely cause of the issue?

Thanks all!

Correct. I'm going to try removing them and replacing them with oem bulbs on my lunch break here shortly and throw in a new fuse to see if that makes a difference. If it does, that tells me it's the LEDs being installed that did it. Just not sure if there are any other known possibilities out there.

Well I get that problems come with mods. But to each his own. I was able to determine that adding my front turns caused the problem. Once removes the fuse stopped blowing. So I hope to have my load resistors installed Monday to see if that makes a difference.

Archived