LegacyGT.com

Searched - an unusual application

SkiDaddy

Good day, I've been reading thru page after page of threads and would value your opininons of this unusual application. My stock 2006 LGT has 123,000 miles and is well past due for some replacement struts. It also has a saggy butt. The car is used primarily as a commuter/family hauler in North Carolina, OK roads, but not smooth. I also pull my dirt bike on a trailer, and go down some dirt roads, so I want to maintain stock ground clearance and good damping for pulling the trailer with a trunk full of tools & gear.

A pleasant, smooth ride is of primary importance, but when I occasionally need to blow by slowpokes I need enough damping that the car doesn't wallow over dips & crests in the road at 80-90 mph. I don't ever plan to Autocross the car; ultimate handling isn't the objective. I'm putting some Continental extremecontact dws tires on next week for occasional mountain trips, and they supposedly have soft sidewalls, negating stiff shock turnin performance. I'll have a shop do the work as it's winter so IDK if I'd want them to hack up the OEM struts for a Koni install, or is that fairly common? How best to fix the saggy butt?

Thanks.

Many members have been happy with the Koni install. Yes you have to hack up oem to make them. If that makes you nervous, post up a WTB (want to buy) for some blown oem shocks - then sell yours after the install.

If you are comfortable affording it, the bilstein specB setup is really nice with a stock-like ride feel. First time I rode over some uneven train tracks with bilsteins at speed I was shocked. Compliant and comfortable for a good sporty daily driver setup.

If money is not an object, KWv2 coilovers are generally considered the bees knees as far as DD coilover setups go. Great for the street.

Yo ktmrider, I'm on a 250XC, racing HS & occasionally an enduro. You?

Back on topic, if I use the Bilstein swap kit from Fred Bean doesn't that raise the car off the ground an additional small amount? Front, rear, or both?

I'm leaning towards the KYB GR-2 struts, need to save for a fork & shock revalve on the bike.:rolleyes:

Hey SD, between all the family members we have a 300XCW, 525EXC, 640LC, and 950SE. The Austrians love our garage LOL.

On the Bilstein swap you will see the front go up and rear go down. Front can be solved with lowering springs, rear with stock springs and shims.

If you are keeping the car for awhile longer you won't regret the Bilstein bits. I understand about the revalve, KTM had a nice idea on the link-less rear suspension but still remains difficult to tune well. Our riding group do their own work however the new boingers on the 2011 models are almost perfect from the box ( too bad they can't figure out something other than wood for the seat base ).

Good day, I've been reading thru page after page of threads and would value your opininons of this unusual application. My stock 2006 LGT has 123,000 miles and is well past due for some replacement struts. It also has a saggy butt. The car is used primarily as a commuter/family hauler in North Carolina, OK roads, but not smooth. I also pull my dirt bike on a trailer, and go down some dirt roads, so I want to maintain stock ground clearance and good damping for pulling the trailer with a trunk full of tools & gear.

A pleasant, smooth ride is of primary importance, but when I occasionally need to blow by slowpokes I need enough damping that the car doesn't wallow over dips & crests in the road at 80-90 mph. I don't ever plan to Autocross the car; ultimate handling isn't the objective. I'm putting some Continental extremecontact dws tires on next week for occasional mountain trips, and they supposedly have soft sidewalls, negating stiff shock turnin performance. I'll have a shop do the work as it's winter so IDK if I'd want them to hack up the OEM struts for a Koni install, or is that fairly common? How best to fix the saggy butt?

Thanks.

These comments led me to recommend KYB GR2 struts and OEM wagon rear springs. He has been very happy for 123k miles. Why go messing with Konis and different spring set ups now? He is not looking for "performance". He is looking to alleviate a saggy butt, daily drive and tow.

Price/performance/customer expectations and desired use. Save the money. Go KYB and OEM.

People... listen to the requests, dont just immediately give your desires. LOL.:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Given the age of the car and it's role I'm going to go GR-2 & wagon rear springs, & save the $$$ towards a 350 XC-F.:cool::icon_bigg

Maybe in a few years Subie will redesign the Leggie & lose the ugly arches. Then we'll talk Bilsteins/coilovers/etc.

Archived