LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go.

This is an older photo with my Pioneer system mounted in the cubby, but now it looks much the same but just with my Google Nexus 7.

Nice but can't see your set up well enough. Can you post closer pics of where you installed your clock/mpg readout as well as of your Nexus 7? Sorry :).

This is what I have:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=8754&processor=content&pcategoryid=12930&categoryid=13018&year=2006&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=12930&v_cat=13018&year=2006&d_pcat=1&d_cat=NULL&have_holder=true&have_mount=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=

However, I wouldn't buy it again. The design is such that the top clip will break after very little wear and tear and they offer no warranty above 1 year. For something that'll sit in the sun for half the year, it will break over time and they just expect you to keep buying it again and again. Horrible service.

Just a small update.

I was able to get my hands on a free Mifi portable hotspot and it is working great with my tablet. I already have an addon plan for my phone which gives me a second SIM card and shares my 6GB data plan. So I took the second SIM card (which was in another tablet) and installed it into the Mifi router. The Mifi router is connected to the car power through a cigarette lighter adapter, and the wonderful thing is when the car shuts power, it will go to "sleep" after 10 minutes. When I start the car up, it becomes active right away and now my Nexus 7 has a data connection.

Also anyone riding in my Legacy has free access to my wifi hotspot. Girlfriend seems to love that!

^^ Excellent idea w/ the MiFi. I will prob end up doing something similar tethering my phone as a hotspot whenever I'm in the car.

One question, how is it with the screen not on an angle? Have you / any passengers watched a movie on it for a decent length of time? Any issues ... Neck strains? Sun Glare? Just curious as to what the motivation was to not angle it thats all.

Also there are apps on the market that will let you turn on the screen from a touch or touch combo. I believe one of them was called button savior or something. I had a busted power button on my old phone and it worked well. Not that the tape mod is bad or anything! :D

Edited by EquinnoxX

One question, how is it with the screen not on an angle? Have you / any passengers watched a movie on it for a decent length of time? Any issues ... Neck strains? Sun Glare? Just curious as to what the motivation was to not angle it thats all.

I prefer it a lot better at that angle, and it just seems more "stock" looking. It's how you would see it done in most cars with a factory nav, so that was my intention.

The screen is slightly angled towards me and with the phone holder it is very difficult for the passenger to see the screen. So, no movies on their parts.

I mostly did it like that to make it look as "factory" installed as possible.

Using Google maps, you just set it to download your entire city. For me I've downloaded the entire lower mainland of vancouver, and then I don't need data for google maps. You cannot do routing, but if I need that I just fire up my mifi.

I see. I am interested in getting the nexus 7 + Navigon for a dedicated GPS navigation app. But it appears that it is not compatible with this device :confused:.

Currently using an 'old' Garminfone A50. It has everything I want and even the Torque app. But it is ssslooooow :mad:.

• 3 weeks later...

I desperately wanted a tablet installed on my Legacy but I have gauges in the chubby and I'm worried about messing up my $400 bezel. The OEM look may take some hacking away as well :(

Just thought I'd mention this here, but has anyone tried AppRadio 2 with ARLiberator? Basically the head unit would mirror your android phone and act like a tablet install without having to buy an amp etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myXcrmgOCKk&feature=related]Pioneer appradio 2 with AR Liberator - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMJrdADRsEs]Pioneer AppRadio 2 + Samsung Galaxy S3 + ARLiberator - YouTube[/ame]