LegacyGT.com

Blue smoke under low load....need help!

Good morning all! Hope everyone is running good!

I could use a little help diagnosing a problem I have been having lately. When I start my car up and giving it a little time to get heat into the motor then proceed to do some around town driving I get blue (not white at all or condensation) smoke blowing from my tailpipes. It normally happens under light load at anywhere between 1K-2K rpm. I notice it more when it appears as though I'm either going up an incline or increasing speed. Sometimes (once in a great while) it does that at idle. It doesn't do it when I'm cruising on the highway though or after a good amount of highway driving. The car has 109K on it with the "top end" being semi-rebuilt at 75K'ish. The turbo was replaced probably 6K ago. The smoking issue happens at random times as sometimes I cant get it to blow smoke if I wanted.

What does this sort of smoking indicate or what could be happening? I've been told in the past that the oil pickup in the motor could be picking it up or backfeeding or something...Any and all opinions could really be useful!

Thanks in advance!

2.5 LGT btw.

Yep, blue smoke means it's getting burned. Generally that means either turbo internals, piston rings, or valve seals.

Easiest thing to do is a compression test. Leakdown if able.

You could pull the DP and check the turbine wheel on the turbo, if you find in/out shaft play it needs to get fixed/replaced (I'm assuming you have some sort of warranty on the turbo being that recent).

Archived