LegacyGT.com

Do I need a relay for HID conversion kit?

I have a HID conversion kit on 05 Legacy GT (http://www.zeezlighting.com/product/zeez-hid-xenon-headlight-conversion-kit-6000k-h7) and am wondering if I need a relay for it.

The previously owner putted a relay on it and I guess the relay is not working so I connect the light bulb directly to the ballast.

Would there be a problem?

The only issue I have right now is if I turn on the low beam with fog light on. One of the headlight would not work. However, if I turn on the low beam without fog light on, it works fine. And then I can turn the fog light on again to make all 4 light bulbs work.

I'm new to this forum and legacy GT but I really enjoy the car. Thanks.

I don't know anyone who's used the relay.

It's up to you. Honestly, unless you need headlights without the key in the ignition, then forget about the relay. Otherwise, that's really the only discernible difference.

Not sure if serious....

The relay if it's wired correctly doesn't allow you to turn the headlights on with out the key on...

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

The risk without it is there is a potential for blowing headlight fuses or the wiring. Additionally the voltage and current provided to the HID ballasts is much more stable than if it used the stock wiring.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

You don't need a relay, as the stock system's power is sufficient to drive HIDs. However, a relay provides direct power from the battery and offers a peace of mind. Either way, stick with a 35w kit. FWIW, I'm running a relay.

Thanks for all the info. I will probably not use the delay for now and see what happens. It's a bad time of the year to work on car anyway.

Now if I turn off all the lights and put the fog light switch on, next switch on low beam, one of my low beam would not light up. But if I put the fog light to off and then turn the low beam on, both low beams work. And then I can switch on the fog light to make low beam and fog light work.

Is this because my battery does not have enough power to trigger all the light at once? Or any other possible issue?

Thanks again.

Ditto as them, 55W with relay.

I am also running the relay and using a 55w kit. Better safe than sorry.

I'm running the relay and the 55w instead of 35w just a little bit more of a power output makes it a little nicer

Mee toooo!! I always recommend the relay (35W & 55W):cool:

It really just provides full power from the battery immediately - this way the lights have enough power when then need it most (Startup).

You're issue of one light starting and one not - that's the issue it's designed to solve - and it's switched by the headlight on/off switch so it's not an always on solution - just designed to use the Battery as a quick power source on startup...

FYI - typically takes about 15 extra minutes to install - just a few extra wires and finding a place to mount the relay.:p

Just Do IT!!:wub::hobbes::jedi:

If you put the relay in that should fix the headlight issue not always coming on if all the wiring is good.

I have 35w lows and fogs, and at times especially when it's cold out one may not light up, I just need to flick the headlight switch off and on and it works. I always run lows and fogs at the same time.

To fix I need to put in relays.

Correct me if im wrong but typically when a relay is used, the "load" tends to have a fairly high amp draw. The relay acts as the main load switch and only requires a trigger to power what ever device you are trying to power. Thus the relay and the relay wiring is what is supporting the high load require to run what ever device you are try to use. FWIW anytime I install aftermarket electrical items with any substantial amp requirements I use a relay to hopefully eliminate any risk of frying any of the OEM wiring.

Correct me if im wrong but typically when a relay is used, the "load" tends to have a fairly high amp draw. The relay acts as the main load switch and only requires a trigger to power what ever device you are trying to power. Thus the relay and the relay wiring is what is supporting the high load require to run what ever device you are try to use. FWIW anytime I install aftermarket electrical items with any substantial amp requirements I use a relay to hopefully eliminate any risk of frying any of the OEM wiring.

Yes you are correct, however the circuit will always be protected by the fuse, so its unlikely to damage wiring (unless someone hacked in). The relay helps with these because as you stated they seem to pull a larger amount of load to fire up, a relay makes them happier :spin:

• 9 months later...

Dead thread alive again, I installed a relay after I had upgraded my LED halos to higher output rings. When I hooked it all back up again, my pass side HID bulb started flickering. After trouble shooting, I finally figured out I needed to use a relay because of the increased power needs from the upgraded LED halos. Ran fine for the past few days

Problem I had today however, is my car didn't start :( I figured since the only difference was the relay install, I removed the positive and negative ends from the battery and the car started right up... If anyone sees this post, any ideas as to why this suddenly is happening? My battery is rather new (this past February) so I don't think that's the issue.

Possibly bad relay harness or the wiring on the end where it plug into the ballast are reversed polarity. You can plug the relay harness back up without plugging in the ballast. Turn the light to on, use a multi meter and measure the voltage if it's getting 12v and the polarity is correct. I would suggest to get Morimoto HD Relay harness, if you wanna get the morimoto relay harness I goes free shipping coupon.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Archived