LegacyGT.com

Tough 1st Gear Shifting with STS

I have had a tough time shifting smoothly into first gear since day one in my 2005 OBXT. I have a factory installed short throw shifter and first is so notchy that it makes shifting into reverse seem smooth.

Anyone have a STS installed and this issue with first gear? I am at 6k miles and thought that maybe it would loosen up by now, but it has not. All other gears are spot on and snick right in. The regular 5spd tranny is fine, thanks I assume to the extra slop.

I have no problem with first gear and my factory STS, but on a related note, I have an unacceptable kind of problem with shifting into 5th (very notchy and wayyyyy to far right to hit the gate with the ease of other gears). I wonder if there's some sort of way the install and adjustment of the factory STS can make either the up and to the left or up and to the right (1st and 5th) gears kinda sucky to shift to?

Just as you describe, all other gears snick right into place....but 5th takes a concentrated effort beyond what I consider reasonable.

there's always a notchiness associated with short throws. i dont personally feel that they're worth it. besides, you're driving a subaru. have you ever watched wrc or any rally? the shifters are actually extended to be closer to the steering wheel.

I have no problem at all in any of the gears with my STI STS but reverse is a pain in the rear to get in even if I put it in 1st first then try reverse. I wonder if it's like my Celica was and you have to push down on the shifter before attempting reverse I'll have to try that next time I drive somewhere.

I have no problem with first gear and my factory STS, but on a related note, I have an unacceptable kind of problem with shifting into 5th (very notchy and wayyyyy to far right to hit the gate with the ease of other gears). I wonder if there's some sort of way the install and adjustment of the factory STS can make either the up and to the left or up and to the right (1st and 5th) gears kinda sucky to shift to?

Just as you describe, all other gears snick right into place....but 5th takes a concentrated effort beyond what I consider reasonable.

What you are describing is exactly the issue I am having with first. It is way off to the left. At stop lights I have noticed that if I really press hard to the left and then up into first it is a bit easier. Could be an adjustment issue at install...

there's always a notchiness associated with short throws. i dont personally feel that they're worth it. besides, you're driving a subaru. have you ever watched wrc or any rally? the shifters are actually extended to be closer to the steering wheel.

The tranny is totally different on a WRC car. Similar to an F1 car, shifts take less than 1/10th of a second, meaning it can go from 1-6, then 6-1 in less time than it takes to shift 1 gear on a normal manual tranny. Of course it costs a bit more, ~$70K.

F1 cars have had semi-auto trannies with steering wheel mounted shift paddles since the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure when they came into the WRC.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I have no problem at all in any of the gears with my STI STS but reverse is a pain in the rear to get in even if I put it in 1st first then try reverse. I wonder if it's like my Celica was and you have to push down on the shifter before attempting reverse I'll have to try that next time I drive somewhere.

Try double-clutching*. That works most of the time. If not, double-clutch again :lol:

*Those not familiar with double clutch: push clutch in, shift to neutral, release clutch, push clutch in again, shift to desired gear

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

^ Double-clutch, rev-match. 2nd -to- 1st no problemo. :D

---

I also have the factory STi STS, and definitely, the travel "over" to fifth is way, way long. However, remember, "throw" only applies to the front-to-back (with respect to the vehicle) axis, and in this respect, the STi STS is actually not too bad at all.

---

On a side-note, I, too, prefer to have my stick/knob higher up. I feel that it only makes sense for all control surfaces to be on the same plane - many ultra-high-performance road-cars are designed this way - the less time I spend with my hand off the wheel, the better. Furthermore, it's just more instinctive.

Also, I would say that not all short-throw kits are inherently "notchy." Certainly, shift-effort may increase simply due to physics, and the abbreviated "gates" may cause the less experienced or the new owner to miss shifts, but a well-designed system should provide positive yet smooth engagement. Case-in-point was actually, surprisingly, my 2G DSM's B&M, which, from first-to-second, traveled an arc that's only about an inch or so long. The shift effort was firm, rifle-bolt like, but it never felt "notchy" going into any gear.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived