LegacyGT.com

Front Endlink Failure

dmiller5

Current suspension: STi Pinks, cusco f/r sways, cusco r endlinks

I took a turn last night and heard a huge clunk and then a grinding noise. I stopped and couldn't see anything and decided to drive the extra 2 blocks to my house. Once there I put her up on jacks and saw some pretty bad damage. Apparently the front passenger endlink either ripped off completely or was severed from the mount (I don't remember if it attaches directly to the chassis or not). It was dark and I was pretty pissed so I didn't examine it too thoroughly.

Now my main issue is that I have to drive 1000+ miles to move in a little over a week and am concerned as to how fast this can be repaired. I'll get pictures at lunchtime, but does anyone have a suggestion? I am close to returning to stock which would mean ordering new f/r sways bars and r endlink and swapping my stock suspension back on.

So you have OEM endlinks in the front along cusco endlinks in the rear? The front endlinks are not that hard to replace and if your having a repair shop/dealer do them they can be done same day.

Yea I did my suspension work myself so I know it's easy, it's more of a time issue for me. I have so much to do and I have about a week to get it all done before I have to move and start my new job. This is just kind of the worst possible timing. I'll get a better look at lunch and take some pics .

I have this clunk on the right front as soon as I come to a full stop (not under braking). Of course I am on OEM suspension. I replaced the OEM front sway bar bushings and I heavily suspected the front psgr. side endlink. After 1 week, the noise has returned.

The endlinks are a pain to replace - will be an honest 2 hrs of work because you cannot use power tools - just a hex key; an open-end wrench and plenty of elbow grease.

Is your issue getting the part or getting time to do the work?

If you have a shop do it, it should take them no time at all with the right tools. Can you get new links quickly? I'd recommend Rallitek ball and socket front endlinks if you can get them quickly (overnight them?). They handle odd angles better than poly insert ones (if you have such an issue like I do) and are way more durable than stock.

Worse case (though not reliable) you could get new stock front endlinks from the subaru dealer, and they should be able to install super quick. Just kind of a waste as you'd then want to change them out after your move.

Yea I ordered them from subaru. $31 each (not bad). I am replacing all of them and returning to stock. I also ordered stock bars (~$100 total). This is just a major pain in the ass. I hope they don't have to re-weld the bracket to the chassis though. I am gonna check on that soon.

Just about every failed front endlink i've seen or heard of for the Legacy has been on the passenger side.

Weird.

- Andrew

My right front(passenger side) is shot as well.If it ever stops raining I'll install the new ones(AVO).:spin:

Endlink stalker !!

Myles:lol:

but hey.. atleast he's dedicated

are there any visual indications of a soon-to-fail endlink? i keep hearing a clunk when i turn to back out of my driveway and when i turn the wheel all the way to the left and back

There was a thread about this from 2006 or 2007.

If you have the stock FSB and the cusco FSB side by side, you will see a few mm difference between the two from lenght to length. Therefore just add 1~2 washers between the the sway bar and the endlinks so it makes up the difference.

If the difference is only about the length of 2 washers per side of the FSB, add one between endlink~FSB, and the other one to endlink~car. Same thing for the opposite side.

This way, the endlink would be straighter when the FSB is installed instead of being on the edge (which produce NVH, and could break if you hit a big bump).

Hope this helps, you can also spend money for aftermarket endlinks.

Are you sure your talking about Cusco fsb or rather the Cobb fsb. Cobb definitely had this problem with regard to the bar not being long enough. I have cuscos and there are no alignment issues with regards to the endlinks.

Archived