LegacyGT.com

3.0R Oil Capacity

I just did my first oil and filter change on my 09 3.0R today. Typical mess like the 05 LGT I just traded, but with a couple of new twists.

First, when I removed the drain plug it fell into the pan. I used my magnet wand to get it out and kept looking for the crush washer which I never found in the pan. Then I remembered something that happened with my LGT.... one oil change about three years after owning it I found TWO crush washers on the plug. That is not like me. After a while I determined the extra one must have been on the plug all the time and had just then come loose. It was an issue because the plug had been oozing oil despite being firmly torqued down.

Well, remembering that I looked at my virgin oil pan plug closely. While I could see NO washer I used a knife and separated the crush washer from the plug where it had been hidden by the black paint. Apparently Subaru glues the washers to the plug then paints them, or something, likely as an aid in production. Whatever, had I not had the incident with the LGT I would never have known the old one was there and simply put a new one on. Eventually the bond would have broken down the line and I'd have had a leak again. Funny no one ever mentions this.

The second strange thing involved the oil quantity. My owners' manual says 5.8 US quarts..... but to check it after warmup because of varying drainages. With the LGT I just stuck in 4.5 US quarts and that was that. I always use a new filter, which I fill with oil first. Same with the 3.0R. So in went the 5.8 US quarts of oil. However, when I checked the dipstick (which is AMAZINGLY consistent, exactly the opposite of the LGT's totally INconsistent oil dipstick) it looked to be A QUART LOW!

So, I pulled into the garage and let the engine run until the temperature had returned to normal running temp. Checked the dipstick again and still low. Then I began adding oil a little at a time, checking the level when I did. The engine needed 6.6 (NOT 6.8) US quarts to bring it up to full!!

What the hell is Subaru thinking here? I drove the car until it was up to temp, filled the tank, etc. then came home and drained it..... thoroughly, like it should be done. When it was done dripping I put the pan plug in (with a new crush washer), and put in my new filter with oil in it. All normal. No big difference since my first Subaru 17 years ago. BUT NONE OF THEM TOOK (almost) A QUART MORE THAN THE BOOK INDICATED!!!

**** Found The Manual, which expanded on the Owner Manual data, that advises when engine oil AND filter are replaced it can take 6.0 U.S. quarts. Still a LOT less than the 6.6 qts mine took.

Whatever, more oil is a good thing I guess. Nearly seven quarts means less work for the oil, compared to the 4.5 in the LGT that is worked far harder to begin with. But it sure makes for an expensive oil change :).

For anyone who cares, I changed the oil at 1398 miles. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Subaru filter (xxx031). The car had "used" 200ml in those 1398 miles.

I broke it in like I always break in engines, after a couple hundred 'easy' miles I then drove it "normally" .... some hard to redline, some engine brakeing, some casual stuff. No 4000 miles never going above 4k rpm for me. So we will see. I figured at 1400 miles of that it should be broken in, so in went the synthetic.

Afterward I took a small very strong magnet and swished it in a grid-like pattern that covered my (plastic kitty litter pan) drain pan looking to see if I could pick anything up. Sure did :eek:. There was a 'fuzz' on the magnet of extremely fine metal particles. Left in the bottom of the pan were a few larger specks of metal as well the magnet didn't get. Also, the oil that I drained had a swirl pattern, similar to what I saw when draining my LGT's transmission fluid, indicating to me a component other than oil.... but what I haven't a clue. Rumors have it that Subaru loads new engines with "break in oil." Puzzles.

As soon as I started the engine with the new oil it sounded quieter. Most of us know this phenomenon, self hypnosis or not. :lol: Personally I think it really is quieter now.

I saved the old filter and a little bottle of the original oil.... in case I want to have it analyzed, I argue to myself. Virgin is virgin only once. :)

Subaru actually paints the oil pans with the plugs in place - there are no monkeys, etc. involved in tightening the plugs, but that's takes a lot of fun out of it :) Having the washer stay attached to the pan is common on the first oil change.

Of course, the oil you used is HIGHLY suspect :lol:

Glad you are enjoying your car.

Subaru actually paints the oil pans with the plugs in place - there are no monkeys, etc. involved in tightening the plugs, but that's takes a lot of fun out of it :) Having the washer stay attached to the pan is common on the first oil change.

Of course, the oil you used is HIGHLY suspect :lol:

Glad you are enjoying your car.

Makes sense, but the odd thing is the whole plug... including the inner tip, was painted. The only metal showing was the involved threads. Could they have painted the pans OFF the engine, including the inside? That would account for it I guess. I'll say this, however they put that plug in it was in... I had to use an extension on my ratchet to break it loose.

I was sure others had encountered the "phantom" crush washer, too. I'd just never heard anyone ever mention it. I wouldn't have either, except when mine came loose on the LGT it cause it to ooze no matter how hard I torqued it.

Yes, demon oil won't leave me alone, no rest for the wicked. :lol:

After the oil change I just had to go for a ride, so off across the local mountains to a pizza pub I went. I'd been wanting to see how this car did on roads I know well. These are roads bikers blitz, are without straights, and are always either going up or down. I've dragged a peg or two on Gauley Mtn myself.... on Sunday mornings when no traffic impeded me.

The truth is, this car constantly amazes me with its command of such roads. It sits too high for my aesthetic sense, but from the driver's seat it is the berries.

And, of course, the new synthetic oil made it faster. :icon_mrgr

You should really check your oil level again, because whenever we change oil in any 6 cylinder at the dealership, 5.8 quarts will be the perfect oil level. Make sure before checking the oil level, you let it set for a good amount of time

I appreciate all advice, but I've been changing oil in cars for more than fifty years, the last seventeen on Subarus. No, it took 6.8 US quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Period. The dipstick in this car is ultra accurate, and what I read after filling was what it read after I ran the car. It was also the same after 125 miles across the mountains. Precisely.

One of the MAJOR REASONS I made this post is not to make a mountain out of a molehill, or to dramatize a mundane oil change, but to alert people to the fact that if they simply add 5.8 quarts of oil and drive off they may be too low on oil. You just verified my supposition.

What a drama Seeeya!!!! :lol:

Btw - Fumoto valve cures the elephant piss drainage.

:lol::lol: Elephant piss! Perfect description.

As for the Fumoto.... I pass. Having lost a race engine's deepened sump to a manhole cover once I have an ingrained distrust of things that can break off and dump my oil. ;) I just use lots of paper towels and curse.:spin:

BTW, good to see you "in here", along with rao. Adds a touch of normalcy to the NA .... ambiance? :lol:

As for the Fumoto.... I pass. Having lost a race engine's deepened sump to a manhole cover once I have an ingrained distrust of things that can break off and dump my oil. ;) I just use lots of paper towels and curse.:spin:

BTW, good to see you "in here", along with rao. Adds a touch of normalcy to the NA .... ambiance? :lol:

Normalcy? You gotta be kidding! :lol:

I appreciate all advice, but I've been changing oil in cars for more than fifty years, the last seventeen on Subarus. No, it took 6.8 US quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. Period. The dipstick in this car is ultra accurate, and what I read after filling was what it read after I ran the car. It was also the same after 125 miles across the mountains. Precisely.

One of the MAJOR REASONS I made this post is not to make a mountain out of a molehill, or to dramatize a mundane oil change, but to alert people to the fact that if they simply add 5.8 quarts of oil and drive off they may be too low on oil. You just verified my supposition.

Well, that is quite interesting. I don't believe I have changed oil in an 09 3.0 yet. I will be sure to look out for this problem on the next one in the shop. Thanks for the heads up!

• 1 month later...

I have a new 2008 3.0R and at 484 miles found it below the low mark. I dutifiullly added a quart of conventional 5W30 but wonder if it really consumed that much. I confess it was the first I had raised the hood. Car had about 200 miles on it when I recieved it and I assumed the dealer would have checked the fluids prior to delivery but maybe not.

Any chance we have the wrong dipstick?

So what are you guys getting for gas milage on your 3.0R's? An aunt of mine was getting and average 27mpg per tank on her 05 before she traded it in for some Hyunda or something. I'm just curious cause I'm putting an R in my 97 OBS and though I'll be lighter I may be running a much higher final drive ratio so we'll see where I go. Not a stranger to H6's as my second car is an SVX. Just did my spring oilchange a few days ago. SVX manual calls for 6.3 I"m at 7 I think. I"ll double check how many quarts I used but I think I put in 6 and drove around the block then added the 7th. 3.3L takes a LOT of oil. My 3.0R setup will likely take like 8 quarts with the oil cooler I"ll be running and the hosing. ;)

-Gaddis

• 5 years later...

Old thread but.....

I just purchased a 2007 H6 3.0R LL Bean for the wife and daughter to drive.

I changed the oil today added 5.8 quarts. Thats 5 quarts and 25.6 ounces.

Looks to be a quart low. What the heck Subaru?????

Ive been running the drain valve on a lowered 3.0R for years.. your worrying too much about it. It sits well behind the plastic cover anyways... It would also be greatly beneficial for times when you added too much and simply need to remove a little amount. Well worth it.

From NASIOC

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774733&highlight=3.0+oil+change

I e-mailed Subaru and here is their answer:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your message. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate that you brought this concern to our attention. Your message will be documented in our Customer/Dealer Services database, so that it is properly reviewed by the appropriate departments.

When replacing just the engine oil, the capacity is 5.8 US quarts. When replacing the engine oil and filter, the oil capacity is 6.9 US quarts.

(This actually makes no sense because there is no way the dinky subaru filter holds a quart of oil. It does seem this is what it holds though)

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

From Subaru Outback Forum......

YOUR ORIGINAL MAIL:

When I had an oil change, the oil level was not full after adding 6 quarts.

We called the dealer and were told that the capacity with an oil change is actually 6.2 US quarts. But it seemed to require more.

What is the actual capacity for a 2006 H6 with filter change? Thank you

Quote:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

1. ...

2. Per the Technical Service Manual, the engine oil capacity of your 6-cylinder Outback Wagon when replacing the engine oil and filter is 6.0 US quarts.

I previously researched a similar message from another Subaru owner with our Technical Services Department. They advised that when replacing the engine oil and filter in your Subaru, you should put in 6 quarts. After you put in the 6 quarts, start your vehicle and let it run for a minute or two. Then, turn off your vehicle and let it cool down for a minute or two. Then, check the dipstick again and fill it more until it is full.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

When I changed the oil in my 09 3.0R for the first time since I bought it in September it took 6 qts. That was with a filter change. When I checked the oil it was spot on at the "high" mark on the dipstick.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 2010 3.6R and when i change the oil and filter mine takes 7 quarts of oil and is right in the middle of full and low. Which is right where it should be, your oil level does not need to be at the full level on the dipstick. But these motors take a bit more oil then normal motors, because if you think about it we have 2 heads vs inline motors only having one. So we are going to use a bit more oil then other cars. Quality will always cost you a bit more

I have a 2010 3.6R and when i change the oil and filter mine takes 7 quarts of oil and is right in the middle of full and low. Which is right where it should be, your oil level does not need to be at the full level on the dipstick. But these motors take a bit more oil then normal motors, because if you think about it we have 2 heads vs inline motors only having one. So we are going to use a bit more oil then other cars. Quality will always cost you a bit more

Oil level is supposed to be at the full mark. If it is not you are running less oil than the capacity that is spec'd out for the vehicle. For example if the car says it takes 5 quarts, when you put 5 quarts in, it should be at the top full mark.

Usually halfway between the marks is 1/2 quart low and the lower mark is 1 quart low. This does depend on how the manufacturer made the dipstick in relation to the pan capacity

It should NOT be in the middle of the marks. Read your owners manual

Also the capacity has NOTHING to do with whether you have 2 cylinder heads or one. Its usually the oil pan size.

Archived