LegacyGT.com

2019 Subaru Ascent Mid-sized SUV - True 3-row vehicle

SBT

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First-model-year concerns notwithstanding, I ordered my 2005 4th Gen LGTW, which was a whole new vehicle, exactly the way I wanted and it has been the best Subaru we've owned, and we've owned a lot. Even my 1998 2nd Gen LGT is still going strong. Foresters, Imprezas, other Legacys we've owned, all great cars. My point being that Subaru builds a great vehicle.

So, given Subaru's track record with/for us, I will likely order a 2019 Ascent Limited because it's likely to be the most-contented for the buck at what is likely to be the lowest price.

Once these hit the market and the pent-up demand is unleashed, I would expect "standard" content to become more optional (at more cost) in subsequent model years and prices to rise.

If consistent with Subaru's typical 5-year programmed model run, with 3rd year refresh, would expect to see slightly more model-to-model diversity and more optional cost.

All of that means that if I want to get the most bang for the buck, I'll want to get in on the first model year, again, first-model-year concerns notwithstanding, is not a concern for me

SBT,

in 2005 BL/BP wasn't really a whole new vehicle. It was manufactured in Japan since 2004. 2005 USDM BL/BPs were great because some of JDM stuff was thrown at them - STI shortblocks, TPMS wiring, PS fluid cooler , configuration options etc. Much of that was taken away in the following years thus making 2005 best (imo) out of USDM BL/BP family.

On the other hand, Subaru started manufacturing Tribeca in 2006. For 2007 they added revised spring rates, AUX input for audio headunit, SAT option for the same, and rollover sensor for airbag deployment. Not a small change.

I am not saying don't get Ascent in the first year. Your thinking may be whole and Subaru may decide to soften the offering if the take rate is good. They are in business of making money through sale of cars they manufacture, after all.

For me personally this year simply does not work for number of reasons that have nothing to do with what Ascent is or isn't. I have two boys in college atm, some upcoming serious medical expense that needs to be provided for, and potential real estate expense. I can't have a mandatory $700-$800 monthly payment right now. Plus, I have perfectly running Tribeca :)

I will sure to follow anyone who pulls the trigger though!

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Hang on a sec here... I have TPMS wiring ready in my car??? I did notice the TPMS logo on my cluster though.

Yes, the module connector is somewhere close to driver's seat. I do believe its in vacation pics.

@SubOperator

The 2004-2008 (Rev A-E) JDM Legacy is the 4th Gen Legacy and that platform was nearly all new with very few carry-over pieces, possibly some rear suspension bits and a few minor odds and ends, but clearly larger, faster, dramatically improved in terms of NVH, fit/finish and content. The USDM wasn't a whole lot different than the JDM version, beyond engine size, turbo, and some wonderful JDM content that JDM-world keeps for itself.

So my comment applied to the 4th gen as a whole and the development path and content/option pricing that Subaru took in improving it at the mid-model revision.

Since the Ascent is a North American Model only, we will likely see a similar development trajectory and content development behavior.

It's all conjecture and crystal-balling at this point so all or none of this may have any bearing on reality. It truly is a YMMV. :lol:

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Agreed. I can't wait for someone here to actually get one and have real feedback on daily life with Ascent.

I'm waiting on a call from my dealer - they've been regularly following up with me and have advised that I'm on their first call when orders can start to be accepted.

Suspected as much.

Fall will likely be the sweet spot, time-wise for me, but will swing by the dealer to see what their pre-order process is.

If you finance through SMF (Chase) they have a complimentary 90 day deferment for the start if that helps your finances. I think you need a FICO of 700 or higher but it’s something I didn’t realize existed. So, take delivery in september, payments won’t start till december.

I'm on a wait list now as well. Dealer told me he expects deliveries in July and demand is pretty high (although I'm convinced a dealer would never say otherwise...). I was told "$42,087 Plus $489 d&h and tax" for the Touring trim. This was an "internet price" and most likely non-binding, so take it for what it's worth. Hope it helps others negotiate a decent price.

I'm also hoping financing will be generous... our TLX was financed at 0.9%, which is awesome. I'm not sure Subaru will be so generous if demand is really that high though.

Edited by Adoniram

Ok, went to the Dallas Auto Show, and the Ascent was being mobbed. The vehicle had a lot of marks from all the traffic going into and out of the car (scuffs from feet, dirty carpet, etc).

Anyway, a lot has been posted here already so I'll try to keep things original for this post.

We sat in the Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner, Santa Fe, Forester, Outback, and Explorer. For the money, the Ascent is a clear winner on features, fit & finish, and especially gas mileage.

The Santa Fe was roomy but felt kind of plasticy and cheap, and that was in the "Limited - Ultimate" version. The Pilot was just "meh" across the board. Not bad, just boring. Highlander was nice, but a little smaller than you'd like for a long ride (for us anyway). 4Runner is awesome, except on fuel mileage, which blows. Forester and Outback look nice, but again not great for us for long rides.

Pics:

The hood has 2 large scoops underneath for airflow to the substantial intercooler:

e8RMGRd.jpg

I'm hoping the chicken wire is just there to protect it during the show:

aTouDM1.jpg

Engine intake has its own high-mounted inlet, great for fording:

GrLgily.jpg

Substantial room around the engine to work or add mods:

LRchN9I.jpg

As requested, J-hooks on wipers. I apologize for the crappy image, I was holding my 3 year old son while squeezing between people to get this shot.

Drivers side, looking DOWN the windshield. (Reflection on glass)

wchAjc9.jpg

Passenger's Side:

OByrdGK.jpg

In the third row, with the 2nd row seat all the way back. I am 6'0" and 155 lbs. Definitely not comfortable, but I could deal with it on short rides. However, 2nd row all the way back would NOT be necessary for someone my size either. I could definitely sit in the 2nd row more forward and feel fine. That would actually make the 3rd row tolerable.

MXxqTB1.jpg

Underside of bumper. It appears that any towing equipment will require the complete removal of the third section, and the hardware might actually make the spare tire visible... Not sure how I feel about that, but I have yet to see it installed and ready to go. You can also see an easy-to-delete cat:

udqFOb7.jpg

Edited by Adoniram

Rear gate felt somewhat high at around 30". There's a great hidden compartment under the carpet for things like grocery bags, etc.

4oUI9Pk.jpg

From the back of the third row, ~22" depth:

rR5M7wF.jpg

From the top of the third row's seats, ~13" to the door:

OuKJPKI.jpg

Across the top of the hatch, ~42" width:

SkJ58AB.jpg

Across the bottom, ~45"

Ny5MauF.jpg

And ~31" high:

vOobXhV.jpg

There's more room side, these are just the dimensions of the DOOR area.

Edited by Adoniram

Front brakes look nice and beefy. Appears to be a dual piston caliper.

N8E2cdS.jpg

Rear brakes are also vented. Not sure why the outer one is a different color from the inner one...

fcu8LzN.jpg

I noticed other vehicles like the Pilot and Santa Fe did NOT have rear vented discs... I feel like that's a no-brainer, but I guess some vehicles try to do without. I wonder if the base model (without the 5,000 lb tow rating) has non-vented discs in the rear?

Edited by Adoniram

Last thoughts: Wife liked everything but the color of the Touring model. She said she could get used to the java brown, but there are ALSO light tan leather accents... sometimes on the same panel/area. It definitely isn't great. Faux wood, dark brown leather, light tan leather, black soft-touch stuff... it's a lot of clashing.

It appears the Limited version has other color options that may be less horrible, and with the moonroof + speakers + navi upgrade, it comes to $41,945. It appears the final $3,000 gets you more leather, ventilated seats (wonder if that'll be an option on the Limited), and sun shades on 2nd and 3rd row windows.

Last thoughts: Wife liked everything but the color of the Touring model. She said she could get used to the java brown, but there are ALSO light tan leather accents... sometimes on the same panel/area. It definitely isn't great. Faux wood, dark brown leather, light tan leather, black soft-touch stuff... it's a lot of clashing.

It appears the Limited version has other color options that may be less horrible, and with the moonroof + speakers + navi upgrade, it comes to $41,945. It appears the final $3,000 gets you more leather, ventilated seats (wonder if that'll be an option on the Limited), and sun shades on 2nd and 3rd row windows.

Thanks. Yeah, from what I've seen I believe the Ventilated Seats will be a Touring-Only option, kind of like the Heated Wheel on the Outback Tourings. You can't itemize the option on another trim.

I'm kind of in the same boat. The pricing is exceptionally aggressive, it's pretty much the same price as the Outback 3.6.

I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one. I'm not sure I want to handle that much beef for a commuter car, especially because we have another third-row SUV, but man, that looks nice.

I'd have to think hard about the accessories and options. There aren't many itemized options looking at the pricing and at-a-glance page.

I actually like the idea of the Premium for the smaller tires/better fuel economy. I think that'll lead to a bigger/stiffer sidewall and better comfort.

I think what you said, though, makes sense. I can get package "23" with the Limited for $2950 MSRP, which seems better than the package "14" on the Premium that adds $4260.

I think I'll probably stay away from the Touring, despite the really cool leather seats, primarily for the color options. I'd probably go Black/Black or Black ext/Gray int.

Really, really have to think about this one. The 87 octane is a game changer for me.

Anyone have shots of the interior, specifically of the Touring trims? The Subaru site has a "pre-production model" that might be dated. Would like to see some of this two-and-three toned type of motif they're going for.

Also shots of the Limited interior would be cool to look at also.

I'm trying to see how funky a Crystal Black / Java Brown would look.

This is really what it looked like (Touring model). One other thing: I definitely like the physical buttons for heat and ventilation for the seats. My Acura TLX controls that through the infotainment system and I hate it... seats work great, and they work under the "auto" environmental control, but it's obnoxious if you want to manually adjust.

2019-subaru-ascent-2.jpg