LegacyGT.com

So one key works and two do not

bgsntth

The morning after I received my car back from the dealer for the Cooling fan fiasco, my OBT would not start. Key turns, dash lights all on, one piston rotation, and then nothing. Won't even bumpstart. Leave it for an hour, try again (unbenowingst with a different key from the key jar), and it starts. Dealer does diagnostic and the ignition, alternator, battery all A-OK. Stumped.

Week later it does the same thing and won't start. I get smart(about time-eh.) and try the other key, and it starts no problem. I try the valet, and it won't start. So, one main key with fob it will start, but it will not start with the other key w/ fob nor valet key. It goes in to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm stumped as to why this is? Anything to do with the ECM being replaced?

Ironically, my Cayman is having the same issue, except I'm sure it is related to the computer chip in the key. The 2005 OBT does not have a chip in it right, as only the fob does? Or is there a chip in the actual key?

So both my Cayman and OBT are going in tomorrow for the same thing. The Cayman is also getting a new ECM too. Two cars and two ECMs in two months.

make sure you dont get a saturday appt or they can't do it. Freakin Kolb got me in on a sat after they lost my keys, programmed me new ones, then my old ones didnt work.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Thanks guys. So is this related to them replacing the ECM from the cooling fan fiasco? Meaning did the dealer not think to ask for the other keys so that they can be programmed?

typical dealer bullshit

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Yes, I have had the Yellow engine warning light, the red exclamation point (Achtung!), and "return car to workshop" message shining brightily for 29 of my 30 days of ownership. Only one key has worked the entire time, and they did not give me all the manuals, which will take 6 months to replace(!?). But I get to drive a Cayenne or Boxster when the Cayman is in the shop. Plus, I almost weep with joy every time I drive the Cayman with purpose, my wife makes passionate love to me again, and I still do not consider myself worthy to drive it. Everyone at the dealer (Service writers, finance guy, managers) still refers to me as the "guy who stole the Cayman", and not in an entirely nice way. So they basically give me a squinty-eyed dirty look if I give them too much grief.

Think of the dealer as learning disabled...you have to think of everything when you go in.

I forgot my spare key before I went in (D'oh!) but I asked the dealer "Don't you need all of my keys so you can reprogram them for the new ECU?". They said "No, that's controled by a different computer, the body management module".

OK, fine, so I went to work (which is 30 minutes from the dealer, 40 from my house).

About an hour later he calls and says they need all of my keys. Great! I'm so glad you let me know this when it would cost me 1.5 hours of time rather then just 20 minutes...

Long story short, yes, they do need all of your keys :lol:

Archived