LegacyGT.com

Fiberglass Sub Box -- how many, how much?

executor485

Who wants one, what is a reasonable price?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants one, what is a reasonable price?

• Count me in... (I want one)
    • Who cares... (I dont want one)
    • $140-$160 + S&H
    • $160-$180 + S&H
    • $180-$200 + S&H
    • Swear ta meeeee!!!!!

Ok... so it has been brought up before. I know that there was another thread on the same thing. But that was by a company that does them for the WRX (if Im not mistaken).

This time, I am thinking about maybe doing it myself... just depends on the intrest level, how much (not looking to make a killing), and if I get enough time... :)

Ok... basic rundown on the boxes: they fit in the area behind the wheel well in the trunk. If all goes well, there will be the option for a drivers side, or passenger side. Materials to make them properly are about $75-100 each. Just depends on where the materials are, discounts, sales, ect... The carpet that covers them is almost identical to the interior of the trunk. Im not sure of cubic spacing at this time... They will be made with 3/4" MDF (hopefully I can find it cheap somewhere, otherwise it might be 1/2", I will let everyone know)

Please check the interested box and the price box so I can get an accurate amount of people and a suggested price range.

http://home.sw.rr.com/markchristian/Fiberglassing/DSC01425.JPG

Final product will look similar to this.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'd seriously consider one. I currently have a 10" IDQ in a box I made, but I don't like the fact that I have ugly bungee cords holding it in place, and that it blocks the pass-through. Internal volume would matter though. Most subs recommend more than what my IDQ needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I am going to tell you all a little secret...

You really should thank Home Depot for this "problem" as they only sell sheets of 3/4" MDF... instead of the smaller 2x4 sections. So, essentially I have enough MDF to make at least 7 enclosures. Possibly 11, but that would be close :| so just for saftey's sake, 7 enclosures.

Ok, so a rough estimate is that they cost me approx $84 a box, but thats not including all materials, time, ect... If I was able to streamline the process I would say that they take me about a week to make @ about 2 hours a night (give or take). I dont know how soon I could have them completed as I am going to be overloaded on work here shortly... But, I could most likely make 7 of them within the next couple of months.

So far the people who want one according the the poll are:

1. BlackonBlack Limited

2. mbacis

3. wrasee

Other interested people are:

awe25gt

Xantium

rclark0032

subastyle

Obviously everyone wants the cheaper option :) I kinda figured that... But thought I would throw a poll up there anyways, just for S&G. What would everyone say to $160 + S&H per box?

Also, if I was to make them, they would be Passenger side boxes, they would not include the wire, and they would be pre cut to handle a JL 10w3 sub. That size should be more than adequate for any 10" sub (as I found out that the JL wouldnt fit in the spot where my sony xplod fit :p )

Basically what you would have to do on arrival is string the wire through the pre drilled hole in the back (I can pre-drill it, or you can ask for it to not be drilled, either way isnt a bother to me) and stick your wire through it, then take liquid nail and seal off the wire in the hole, wait for it to dry, then run the wire through the spot I did in my sub box walkthrough.

Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions? Post away!

Oh man, if I had the cash I would be all over this right now. Can't make one for me and save it for a year or so, can ya? :icon_bigg

It might take me a year or so to make them all ;) lol...

They arent that hard to make though, if you see the walkthrough I made and follow that its fairly simple :) I am just making them for the people who dont want to make them, are too lazy to do it ;), and those who are worried about messing up their car or something like that :)

How thick will the fiberglass layup be? How much raw airspace? Depth behind the woofer cutout?

I have not measured all that yet, I will do that when I get home.

There will be 3 layers of fiberglass on the actual box, then the 3/4" MDF on the front, then 2 layers holding the MDF on.

As for airspace and depth, I will try and post that this evening. I havent had the ability to measure airspace yet since I didnt have packing peanuts, but now thanks to you :) I do have some... As a guesstimate on depth, I would say about 9" but that could be +/- a bit.

As for sound, the 10w3 in there, with a 250/1 running it (ughh... I wanted 500/1 but they wanted $600 for it :( )... It sounds freaking AWESOME, and that box was my first and it only has 1/2" MDF, so the next boxes should sound a heck of a lot better.

*will update when I get home...

I might be out on this one. I just noticed that it comes right to the edge of the seam where the floor lifts up. I would want to use a grill over the sub to protect it and that would interfere with lifting up the floor (which I do frequently to access tools and the like).

I suppose if you're custom building each of these then you could shorten it a bit on mine? My sub has a mounting depth of 5.25" so the box needs to be only 6.25" deep (internally) right behind the speaker. It also only needs to have an internal volume of 0.5 cuft (+0.05cuft displacement), so that may allow for it to be made shorter. Don't know that you'd want to bother making them to custom specs though.

no good for me. I got 2 12"s in a sealed box now. (It sounds pretty badass, not boomy or anything) 1 10" box aint gonna cut it for me.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Ok... So, the rundown is like this.

Box is approx .76 for airspace (I think, my math might be a bit off :lol:)

At the shallowest spot its 8" and at the deepest its 10". There is plenty of clearance on the 10w3 that I have in there right now.

As for the amp PGT, PM is on the way... :)

I might be out on this one. I just noticed that it comes right to the edge of the seam where the floor lifts up. I would want to use a grill over the sub to protect it and that would interfere with lifting up the floor (which I do frequently to access tools and the like).

I suppose if you're custom building each of these then you could shorten it a bit on mine? My sub has a mounting depth of 5.25" so the box needs to be only 6.25" deep (internally) right behind the speaker. It also only needs to have an internal volume of 0.5 cuft (+0.05cuft displacement), so that may allow for it to be made shorter. Don't know that you'd want to bother making them to custom specs though.

It wouldnt be a problem to custom make one for you. As long as your willing to take the lower volume... It should be plenty deep enough for you still, and still have at least .5 volume with what you are wanting... Just let me know.

So is this a go? How long before you can ship mine? I'll probably put a 10" JL W6 so it's gonna have to be able to take some serious abuse ;)

It is a go... Im not exactly sure on how long it will take me per box. On average it takes 1 week to make a box, so if I streamline it, I might be able to finish within a couple of months. (all of them). As for putting a 10w6, I dont know about depth and volume issues. Like I stated, the box at its shallowest spot is about 8" or so, and deepest is 10", and the volume is about .76 cubic ft. So, if it will accept the w6, im not sure... :)

But, Im sure that whoever wants one can fight it out for the first one. If you want, I could put 4 layers on yours with a 3 layer holding on the 3/4" MDF, but just to warn that takes more materials and time :) hehe... I would say at least one more thing of resin and at least another pack of the fiberglass. So that would probably add on about $20 or so, and weight for shipping might be a little heavier.

I am not 100% garuanteed making each box identical, I can try to match what you need it for to some degree. I dont think that it will fit a 12" sub though, as it comes very close to the edge of the MDF in some spots. Actual holding up, I havent noticed any problems with the one I made. They should progressively get better as I make more of them, and I dont forsee any problems with handling whatever you want to throw at it within reason.

If you have a special request just post it here, or PM me. :)

Thanks

Go ahead and count me out for now, sorry. I leave for Africa next week and won't have a good handle on how I stand financially until I've been back for a week a two (end of Feb.). If you're still doing it then I may revisit this option, but unexpected last-minute gear purchases are hitting me hard this week and I have a feeling coming back from 3 weeks without pay is going to be worse than I anticipated.

I would recommend posting a thread in the "Interior/Audio" section if you want to get more exposure. I think this section is often overlooked and there may be many people interested as it seems JL is only going to make a Stealthbox for the wagon.

^Not a problem mbacis :) I know how that goes. Thats part of the reason I am making these, I have to replace the windshield on my car and get a new tire, and other finance things coming up... ughh...

Anyways, enjoy your trip. Thanks for the suggestion, I have posted in interior/audio and I will see what kind of response I get there. Just let me know if you need one. Im sure that I could make exceptions for some ppl :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived