LegacyGT.com

Front diff bad - cheapest way to fix/replace, other years besides 2005 fit? (MT)

caramall2

My front diff is bad. I was told by a mechanic that the cheapest solution is find a used MT and put it in as transmission and front diff are all in one housing. The dealer wants aprx $3k to rebuild the front diff ($600 in parts and $2600 labor).

I'm only finding pretty high mileage used ones (with like 125k plus) and a little leery of going that old...hate to replace again soon (my car only has 90k on it).

Is 2005 the only year that fits or does 2006, etc., fit too? Having trouble finding one online for a good deal (e.g. under $1k).

Thanks.

If you are handy with wrenches it's possible to do it yourself. It's not rocket science but can be intimidating.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

When it warms up and I turn into a parking spot, etc., it goes "clunk, clunk, clunk"... like something is binding. It used to do it only at full wheel lock but now it's getting worse and doing it at about 2/3 or even 1/2 from lock. I brought it to the dealer to check out and they said it's the front diff.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand (I am NOT a Subaru trans expert, but I have spent way too much time reading about it):

Any 5MT with a 4.111 FD will work. You need one with a 4.111 to mate up with your R-160 4.111 rear diff.

I just posted a thread with all the trans ratios and FD ratios.

The good news is that you can choose a trans with a different gear set more to your liking, as long as its the 4.111FD.

For example:

Your current ratios should be:

3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738 / 4.111FD - '05-'06 USDM Legacy 2.5GT

But you could find a relatively recent low mile Forester or Outback:

3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.780 / 4.111FD - '04-current Forester non-turbo

-OR-

3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.825 / 4.111FD - '08-current USDM Outback

Would give you better acceleration, but would rev more at highway speeds.

You can compare the results here:

http://www.teammfactory.com/gearcalculator.php

Lots of Outbacks and Foresters where I live. The prices are $500-$1000 depending on age/mileage.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Thanks all. Having a hard time finding a used trans/diff. Might buying a new one and installing myself...about same price as dealer fixing current. Of course would rather get a decent used. Found some on eBay up in Canada but company won't give any specifics and a little leery. Gotta get this thing fixed.

What end of TN are you in?

There's a guy in Asheville NC that parts a lot of subies, might look him up. I've never bought anything from him.

I get them from time to time. . . had an 08 LGT trans with 68k on it I sold recently for $700 locally. Don't have anything on the watchlist coming up soon that would fit your car tho.

6MT conversion is $4k minimum. Pricey just to have another place for your shifter to live.

Archived