LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VF-46 cannot be merged with MHI CHRA.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Interesting - did not remember this.

The way the compressor cover is attached to the bearing housing is different on the 46.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I was not aware of that. Now I must determine the why of it all :iam:. How does my new paper weight fail to be adaptable. Its replacement was near 1,300 bucks but was covered under warranty. The best I could do was to get it ported and coated.., which of course violates the policy if it should fail..., :spin:because it has been modified..., blah, blah, blah. If it blows chunks in my engine I don't get another new engine. I am looking for a BB daily driver unit.

:nono:I am currently not happy that a 3.5 Altima kept creeping away from me above 4500rpm in sixth gear even though I realize that I am still essentially stock with a OTS Cobb 1. :jedi: I like the torque on the low end but I need some high end power as well. With E85 being close to a dollar less than 93 here in the midwest I think I might be in for a treat if I plan this right. I think somewhere between 400 and 450 HP at the crank should be plenty for my old man reflexes. :eek:

I am currently not happy that a 3.5 Altima kept creeping away from me above 4500rpm in sixth gear even though I realize that I am still essentially stock with a OTS Cobb 1.

Just curious: > 4500 in 6th would be what speed, exactly? 120 mph+?

......, ish..., I seem to remember seeing a number that resembled that when I was trying to keep my 71kish rotors from ripping the bushings out of my lower control arms. :ohhh: My woman was not feeling the moment. :eek: I told her I was just playing with him.

Lmao. She said..., play after the brakes get fixed. :hide: I do know I bumped a low 5k something or other during one pull in 4 of the available 7 gears; of course one of them I really can't use unless I stop and pull up a ring first. I just wish I was set up to data log before I made the trip to Naperville. For those of you that don't know..., Naperville contains the home warehouse of Tigerdirect.com, as well as Globalcomputer.com and is but a piddly 35 minute drive from downtown Chicago...., uuuuuMMM..., sometimes.....,:iam:.

I am going with an HTA, 850 inj, Sti pump regulator with 10ga wire mod, and a DWsomethingorother pump. Whatever numbers come with the tune I'll live with.

DW65C as it fits in the factory housing.

+1 living near TigerDirect is pretty sweet

Oh my. That pump is just adorable, thanks Shrei Wolf. I may have to .0006 ohms/ft 8ga just to provide that high torque motor with all the electrons it desires. Oh..., and maybe a one Farad cap at the input of the pump controller to stabilize the voltage..., ops..., :coffee:. I think I need a coffee.

I am currently not happy that a 3.5 Altima kept creeping away from me above 4500rpm in sixth gear even though I realize that I am still essentially stock with a OTS Cobb 1. :jedi:

That's not all that surprising, those are 250-270HP stock with similar weight. The VQ is a strong engine.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

I let GS port and polish my '46 so I am interested in seeing what it will do before I retire it for the HTA, and I think I've seen a dw65c replica on Aliexpress for $56.86 with free shipping. LMAO...., I am soooooo tempted. I could by two and have a spare in case the first one breaks.

I picked up a used shorty stromung. It needs some work on it though. I am going to gut the dp and save the remains to sprinkle over the next VQ I come along in honor of the spanking I am going to give it.:dm:

Fuel pump failure can be both subtle and dramatic. Subtle when fuel pressure slowly starts dropping at high loads, dramatic when your motor goes pop from running too lean at high revs and high load. I've seen loads of failed fake Walbros lately... I just don't recommend their pumps to anyone now because there are more fakes on the market than real ones. Do hope DW is not going the same way.

i let gs port and polish my '46 so i am interested in seeing what it will do before i retire it for the hta, and i think i've seen a dw65c replica on aliexpress for $56.86 with free shipping. Lmao...., i am soooooo tempted. I could by two and have a spare in case the first one breaks.

I picked up a used shorty stromung. It needs some work on it though. I am going to gut the dp and save the remains to sprinkle over the next vq i come along in honor of the spanking i am going to give it.:dm:

thank you for that information fahr_side. Rip to my olde friend..., spec b v46er. :icon_cry: May your curly blades rest in their pieces.

i am going with an hta, 850 inj, sti pump regulator with 10ga wire mod, and a dwsomethingorother pump. Whatever numbers come with the tune i'll live with.

oh my. That pump is just adorable, thanks shrei wolf. I may have to .0006 ohms/ft 8ga just to provide that high torque motor with all the electrons it desires. Oh..., and maybe a one farad cap at the input of the pump controller to stabilize the voltage..., ops..., :coffee:. I think i need a coffee.

This is why there are two versions of this thread ................

Edited by KCwagon

"...I made 276/292 on 92 octane.

I made 324/350 on E85

e85 really is the JUICE. It spooled about 500 rpm sooner at really hit hard. I think with the 18G, it would be lots of fun. I am running a DW 65c fuel pump and am beginning to think it is the weak link. I have replaced everything else AND am running battery power to the fuel pump."

Talking about turbocharger upgrades without talking about the supporting mod issues is a bit negligent. I've qouted some words above about Mr. KCwagon and his BNR 18g upgrade issues. Maybe Mr. KCwagon should share some of his knowledge here within the Bolt up turbocharger upgrade thread so we can all gain from his experience.

If Mr. "e85 really is the JUICE" thinks the DW65c is his weak link even with his battery powered pump, the DW65c may not be up to feeding a BNR/HTA. What do you think fahr_side? On paper it looks to be more than enough pump to handle what I am looking for. If anything I would be underutilizing the the HTA68 because I would be asking it to run BNR18G numbers but I want the HTA center housing.

With 93 running at or above 5 dollars and e85 at $3.86 at the corner BP I really want to switch up but I also read somewhere on legacygt about a guy claiming he was running out of fuel trying to run his "18g/fmic tuned" on e85 with DW850's. :spin: My research validated that topmount 850's (ID's or DW's), an STi fuel controller/rewired lgt fuel supply along with the 65c should be more than what is needed to handle the stage three. :confused: The guy that was having fueling issues with his 850's has an '05 wagon and may very well be using side feed injectors. He doesn't say which he is using :iam: but forum opinion has it that 850 side feeds are not the easiest injectors to tune when running e85. They don't seem to maintain consistancy at or above 850cc on popcorn :munch:gas.

Either way, I agree with him about e85 being the juice. We've got a few places here that blend as much as 15% in their gases and my engine just purrrrrrrrs off of that stuff..., and it does indeed smell sweeter.

• 2 weeks later...
What are BNR Evo16g's going for now? Is the price including core? If the core isn't included how much would I save if I got a core? Also do you think the castings are better than the stock IHI ones?

Got one recently. He charges $750 and $35 to ship. No more core exchange business.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that have gone from stage 2 custom tune stock turbo to an evo3 16g turbo is there a night and day difference in power and feel to it?

I am currently on a custom e tune from brentuning running 19 psi on the vf46 oem turbo with a downpipe and 3 port ebcs.

I had a little shaft play in the stock turbo so looking to replace it. Would the 16g be a big enough difference to be worth it you think? It's my daily and have another car for weekend fun etc but would love some more power in the legacy as well.

Will go the 16g route if it does make it a night and day difference as I would like a quick spooling turbo.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

• I Donated
It is a pretty big difference. Maybe not night and day, but certainly decent. I was only at 17.5 psi on my VF46, though, and I'm at 20 psi on my BNR Evo 16G. I do have a feeling there is more that could be wrung out of my 16G, as it seemed faster when I had it on my 05.

I disagree.. If you're running an aggressive stage 2 map/setup the 16g won't be a huge upgrade in performance. I definitely feel the additional power between 5200 and 6600, but it's not a huge increase and I lost a bit down low as well. I'm regretting not going bigger. :( Edited by rtbrjason