LegacyGT.com

Exhaust leak!! Input on gaskets please.

Paradiso

So I've developed an exhaust leak. Crucial Up with the "magic" copper gaskets. :mad:

Anyway, today I took off the heat shield and got under the car while it was running and could feel the exhaust coming out of the joint between the header and the up pipe.

When I did the up pipe I dropped the whole header and (I'm pretty sure) that I reused the oem gaskets on the header to the head.

Should I do the same thing to replace the up pipe gasket?

Is it OK to still reuse the original gaskets on the headers?

Where's the best place to get OEM gaskets? (I assume that's what I should use on the up pipe)

Thanks

John

One of the vendors here has them. I got the full set when I did my UP/DP.

It's the most cost effective and you can then know that you have replaced every gasket.

JSCSPEED:

http://www.jscspeed.com/lgt/lgt_base.html

http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/exhaust/gaskets.htm

The first link will take you to the Legacy part of the site the second is to the inset page for the gaskets.

Let's kick this pig!

FWIW, I too developed a leak on my Crucial UP.

Mine was because I failed to do two things.

1. Loosen the Turbo positioning brackets during the UP install so it could mate up with the UP W/O placing it in a bind.

2. heat cycling the setup without re-tightening the bolts.

It also happened on my DP when the nuts backed off.

Jeremy provides good instructions and great follow up assistance.

You should be able to reuse your OEM gasket in a pinch. Use the Permatex Hi-Temp spray on sealant too.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

Finally replaced the gaskets yesterday. No more leaks, no more noises - YAAAY!

I think the crucial pipes are a great option but I wouldn't recommend using the copper gaskets, especially in the Up Pipe to header joint. The gaskets between header and heads were fine but the up pipe gasket was trashed.

I replaced them all with OEM.

UpGasket.jpg.b1e8a2af6675ad357a80300610bd8597.jpg

Not to sound stupid but...can you have a leak like that (or perhaps a smaller one) and still pull close to max boost (e.g. you'd have a little less flow, but psi still being close to max)? Just think that's what I might have.

Not to sound stupid but...can you have a leak like that (or perhaps a smaller one) and still pull close to max boost (e.g. you'd have a little less flow, but psi still being close to max)? Just think that's what I might have.

spool up and boost will be hurt by a leak. may not be much depending on the size but you (or your tuner for sure) will know

also, i've always stuck with OEM gaskets, always the best option in my opinion. i've gotten them from subaruparts.com, great service, fast shipping, generally cheaper

OE's seem to be the way to go. I've had my UP, DP and turbo off a few times and never had an OE gasket fail.

I do recomend a retorque on the DP to turbo gasket. They seem to loosen up alot on my car. Everytime I take the damn turbo heatshield off, some are loose.

Archived