LegacyGT.com

Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD/MP3/GPS Unit.

This guide shows you how to install Pionner navigation unit in Legacy GT Limited.

Parts Needed:

• The headunit.
  • 93-01 Impreza Wiring Harness.
  • 93-01 Impreza Reverse Wiring Harness.
  • Motorola male radio plug.
  • Subaru / AVO DIN Panel

Tools Needed:

• screwdrivers
  • soldering gun
  • electrical tape
  • zip-tie
  • jig-saw
  • cutting tool

So, we all figured that the cubby (above the stock radio) can be used to install a headunit. Well, you can install it, but you need to do some modifications to the inside of the dash to make it work.

I'm going to assume that you know how to take the stock radio out. So, the following will be very simplified.

• Remove the shifter.
  • Remove the shifter boot / ashtray assembly.
  • Remove the side plastic pieces that go next to the both sides of the radio.
  • Remove 6 screws that hold the stock radio, and take the radio out. There are a few wiring 4 harnesses, 1 ground wire, and antenna wire.
  • Remove the cubby / vents. You need to remove the wiring harness that is going into the clock.

Almost all of these things (except for side pieces and radio) are only held by clips. So, you can simply unclip them to remove these pieces.

Now, take the cubby / vents assembly to a table. Remove the side vents from the assembly. Try to fit the DIN panel over. I guarantee you that you cannot secure it. The DIN panel is made for JDM Legacies. So, you need to modify the DIN Panel using a cutting tool. You'll see the pictures below. You need to cut the top parts that are support to go into the side vents. The picture has a red line. That's where you need to cut. After you cut those parts off and grind them nicely, you can secure the DIN panel to the cubby assembly at the bottom of the DIN Panel.

I know it's kind of hard to understand from this, but you'll see when you are actually working on it.

pic1.jpg.37682bd1dc5b0da9e2df5e699bc29680.jpg

pic2.jpg.c7e987c53b309945fa8521425b27347b.jpg

Ok, now you have a DIN panel installed to the cubby / vent assembly. Now, you need to modify the dash a little. This was very tricky for me. I did various testings and analysis to make sure dash wouldn't collapse or airbag wouldn't pop open.

Before you do this, disconnect both sides of the battery. Airbag may (or may not) pop open from all the shocks and vibrations caused by the jig-saw.

Now, there are two plastic supports (seen in picture). Those two plastic supports are located very close to the opening of the cubby area. You can see my key. I only had 2-3 inches of depth. No way, I could install a headunit. After reviewing the surrounding area, I decided to cut 2.5 inches of each plastic piece with a jig-saw. I have NOT had any issues by cutting these pieces. But, if you are going to do this, do this at your own risk. This walkthrough is to be used only as a reference.

pic3.jpg.ed387b1a1529f43fa473b6332e40bdb0.jpg

pic4.jpg.ccecf1fc991d82c09091a2cd595fa156.jpg

pic5.jpg.cd73ee5da403c073dffbd5927c2ae393.jpg

pic6.jpg.aa1fff72748560986de9b24c4dc458cc.jpg

Now, there are two brackets that came with the DIN panel from AVO. Attach those to the sides of the headunit. Install it to the cubby hole area, but don't secure it yet.

You need to wire-up everything. Attach the wiring harness from the headunit to the female wiring harness AND the reverse wiring harness. The female wiring harness will go into the factory harness. The reverse wiring harness will go into the stock radio. You must put power into the stock radio. Otherwise, you will not have HAVC.

Attach the wiring harness to the Pioneer unit. Secure and install it.

NOTE: The dash is a little facing toward the driver's side. You need to put a little spacer on the passenger side of the screw that secures the bracket. I used two tiny washers to bring the passenger side out (more than the driver's side).

Then, install the cubby / vent assembly.

pic11.jpg.cbb9530c06d172003dbe041b86f8ba57.jpg

Now, you need to install the navigation computer somewhere. I decided to install it under the passenger seat. I simply zip-tied it to the seat support. You need to wire it up between the nav computer and the headunit.

Also, you need convert the radio antenna to Motorola style. I bought a male plug from Radio Shack, and simply converted the antenna wire.

pic10.jpg.898a852f3e580487c2929994d0f6e728.jpg

I also installed a voice-command system. I have a steering-wheel mount remote control and a microphone installed. They work ok. Very useful and helpful.

The installation manual for the Pioneer AVIC-N1 specifically asks for a vehicle speed wire. When I used to have a 2001 Impreza RS, this was no problem. ECU had a speed wire. But, not on 2005 Legacies. It's my understanding that vehicle speed is now determined by 4 ABS wheel sensors. Controlled Area Network determines and outputs the speed to the speedometer.

This product does not need a speed sensor. It can calculate the current speed by looking at GPS signal and most likely the G-sensor using "Simple Hybrid"(?) mode rather than "3D Hybrid" mode. So, for those of you who are wondering if this thing can be installed and used in 2005 Legacies, the answer is YES. Vehicle performance meter works perfectly as well. I can get current vehicle speed, acceleration info, side acceleration info, current direction, voltage, etc etc.

I live in NYC, and for those of you who live in this area, you know there are a number of tunnels. The navigation was able to follow my car while it was in the tunnel, and knew the current speed as well.

But, before you start using it, make sure you initialize all settings. Otherwise, nothing works. I forgot to do this, and didn't work at all until I initialized everything. Then, it started to figure things out on its own, and after 45 miles, it was fully functioning.

I have heard complaints about fan noise with this unit, is it that bad? I have it narrowed down between the Avic/n1/n2 and the Alpine Iva-d310, I was about to pull the trigger on the N2 until I read about a very irritating fan noise eminating from the unit even when it's turned off.

The install looks great, exactly what I want to do, except I plan to keep my factory head unit functional. As far as the performance monitor, can you calculate 0-60 and 1/4 mile on it or does it just display g forces.

Thanks for your comments!

Fan noise

When this was installed on the RS, I used to hear it AS LONG AS there was no music coming out (other words, unit turned off but ignition on). It was significant but I wasn't annoyed by it. Now that it's in the Legacy, it's not as loud as when it used to be in the RS. I can hear it humming slightly, but I don't notice it until I realize about it.

Performance meter

It cannot show 1/4 mile or 0-60. It can show: Speed (MPH), Acceleration (in G), Side-Acceleration (in G), Angular Velocity (ft^2 / sec), vehicle slope (in degrees), direction, Voltage, and clock. It's not like G-Tech pro.

I am very satisfied and amazed with N1's capability. I'm sure N2 would do more than what N1 can do. I know N2 takes traffic info to determine the best route.

Yeah, the factory headunit is totally useless. But, power, ground, and illumination still have to go in there for the HVAC system to work. So, all music comes from the Pioneer unit.

DVD and AV inputs can be played too.

You're really supposed to wire a green wire to a emergency parking wire so that you can only view DVD while the car is parked. Instead, you can simply ground the green wire to any metal and you can watch DVD while the vehicle is in motion. It was much easier for me to wire-up that way. However, it's illegal (at least in NY) and very risky though.

cool thanks for the info! Have you runinto any problems having the screen mounted that high? Such as crime fighters, assuming its playing dvd or anything like that? I am definately going to do this mod. It looks awsome thanks for the post and information.

IS this pioneer the best option? It seems to give the most features for the best price. Im going to do some more research ill report back with anything iteresting I find.

Yeah, the factory headunit is totally useless. But, power, ground, and illumination still have to go in there for the HVAC system to work. So, all music comes from the Pioneer unit.

You mean pwr, gnd, ill from the stereo harness??? Or does it have a separate input for that?

This guide shows you how to install Pionner navigation unit in Legacy GT Limited.

Parts Needed:

• The headunit.
  • 93-01 Impreza Wiring Harness.
  • 93-01 Impreza Reverse Wiring Harness.
  • Motorola male radio plug.
  • Subaru / AVO DIN Panel

Do you have part numbers for these parts?

wrx2blackGT, I haven't been pulled over for using the navigation.

bemani, let me explain a little better. I plugged the male harness (aka reverse harness) into the stock stereo. That male harness is wired to the pioneer harness and female (aka regular) harness. So, picture in your mind with 3 plugs (2 males and 1 female) all hooked up. The male reverse harness only receives constant power, ground, switched power, and illuminations so that heater controls can work. Without those wires, you won't have A/C nor heat. I hope this is better explained. Forget about speaker wires going into the stock unit.

I hate the stock radio and heater eletrical design, and I really think Subaru was stupid about this. I think it's their way to make us pay more money to replace the whole unit when HVAC or Radio dies.

List of parts and part#s that I used:

The headunit -> Pionner AVIC-N1. I paid $1350 on Ebay in October, 2004.

Voice command kit (microphone and steering wheel mount remote control) for the AVIC-N1. Don't know the part #. It's about $40 on Ebay.

93-01 Impreza Wiring Harness. -> Scosche SU03 (about $10)

93-01 Impreza Reverse Wiring Harness. -> Scosche SU03RB (about $10)

Motorola radio antenna male plug. -> A Radio Shack part. ($2.99) If I were you, I would wait until Metra comes out with radio antenna conversion plugs. The way I converted the antenna plugs isn't recommended. It works perfectly in NYC, but it doesn't work very well once I go to country side. Other words, reception got worse.

Subaru / AVO DIN Panel -> Subaru genine part. Don't know the Subaru part # but you can go to AVO's website to buy it. ($115)

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sissu03rb.html

I received it less than 4 days after ordering the part.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HVAC ILLUMINATION USING THE REVERSE HARNESS:

When installing the reverse harness into the stock unit, you will notice that you are missing the #1 wire. There are 14 pins, but only 13 wires to the harness. That is because this harness is for a 1993-2001 Impreza, and you really didn't care if you needed this wire or not. Here is the problem on 2005 Legacy. In order for the HVAC illumination to work correctly at night, you must use #1 (which does not exist) and #7 (orange on the reverse harness) wire. #7 is called the illumination wire, and typically most aftermarket stereos use this wire. The #1 wire seems to be coming from the dimmer switch.

So, what happens if you only connect #7 wire? You have no illumination to stock radio or HVAC switches and knobs. However, the LCD panel dims when you turn you headlights on. #7 wire feeds 12volt power into the system to dim the LCD panel. #1 wire corrects the dimming problem by feeding variable electrical power setting controlled by the dimmer switch.

Therefore, you need to fabricate your own wiring into the reverse harness. To me, it's not a big deal if I have illumination or not. But, it's nice to have. Maybe Radio Shack got it. After I install it, I'll post another thread.

Archived