Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my ipod sometimes charges, and sometimes doesn't. could this just be a bad grounding location? i grounded the pac cable to the metal case around the stereo..

The case should be a good ground *IF* you remembered to plug in the

ground wire - to a single spade lug on the back of the stereo case.

I have found other pieces of steel - in particular one just rear of the

shifter stalk - that seemed to be a decent ground, but then got weird

on me. There are a couple of vertical steel pieces behind where the

stereo sits that seems to be solid though.

Pro installers often feel the need to connect wires to everything - even if they're not needed. The RCA GLI's PAC sells have two brown wires to connect reference grounds to each side of the GLI if necessary - older audio equipment would sometimes freak out without a reference ground. If he connected the two wires together and wired them to ground though - it completely defeats the purpose of the GLI - which is to isolate the ground of one side from the other.

I would open up your dash and see if you can find the GLI - cut the brown wires off & you should be in good shape.

Jazzymt,

Can you post a picture of the GLI included with the I-pod Pro kit, so I can see what you mean by the brown wires? Thanks...

I received my package on Saturday and just got done with the install, it was a pain but well worth it. The instructions on the website didn't exactly line up with my car but overall the differences were minor, anyone with a half decent brain could figure it out. I ended up ordering the prokit and ran the wires for the iPod into the armrest, I also connected the power wire to the switched since I have an older iPod that I'm just going to leave in the car.

Overall, great product, I used to miss my XM but now I'm very content.

Hey guys...Just installed the Jazzy mod and it took me...well lets just say longer than expected. Had a couple issues with my own stupidity...like not noticing the Ribbon cable wasn't in all the way and fell out when I put it back in the car...grr. But I have everything hooked up and have a problem.

I am using an iPod hooked up to a Berkin car charger/audio out. It hooks up to the dock port on the bottom of my iPod and I have absolutely NO signal.

When I put in a real CD, it plays 100% fine. When I put in the silent CD Jazzy sent me...it's silent but the time keeps going. So that means it has to be something to do with the iPod end of things.

The Belkin piece I bought new and literally opened the package for the first time today so I doubt that has issues. Also I have messed around with the volume control on it. that doesn't effect anything including the noise floor.

(EDIT: Bypassed the Belkin and connected the audio cable directly into the headphone jack on iPod...no dice. Pure silence)

The radio shack groud-loop cable the connects the Jazzy to the Belkin isn't new, but I have been using it up until yesterday in my room with no problem. I also e-taped the connections.

My iPod volume I don't believe matters with line out...but I tried it at all different volumes to see if anything would change..nothing. Just pure consistent silence.

Anyone know what the issue could be? am I missing something simple?

Any help would be great. I plan to investigate this all further on Tuesday when I get a day off. Thanks in advance.

~ Mike

Edited by Adriftoc

!~Fixed It~!

Apparently the silent CD that Jazzy gave me had an issue with it. As soon as I inserted a silent CD I made everything was 100%. the iPod sounds just like a CD, but has to be turned up slightly more than a CD. No ground noise or irregularities of any kind!

Installation was very easy to follow...and being as though I had to do it twice since I was an idiot and didn't test out the board before putting it back together like Jazzy suggests (I would recommend EVERYONE test before putting it all back together) the second time I took everything apart in less than half the time it took me the first time.

To future installers the only notes of warning I have are be VERY gentle with the screws on the actual head unit. Make sure you have the EXACT sized screw driver and you apply enough pressure with your initial loosening of the screws so that you don't strip them.

Also be very careful with your positioning of the Jazzy when you install it. The first time I installed it I had the board at a weird angle and it wound up pulling the ribbon cable out after i put it all back together...hense doing everything twice.

Other than that it's awesome. Jazzy is the man! The quality is awesome, product is awesome everything is awesome. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone! ...assuming they have a subaru this mod works on ;-)

I'll definitely be ordering one, when it goes up on my priority list. Right now I'm dealing with the town water company's insurance adjuster, after they yanked my main water valve off the wall downstairs, and gave us a nice 3/4" of water to think about. :)

Ahhh, homeownership!

Hey this sounds amazing, but im not really experienced in tearing apart the factory radios. The instructions look good and clear but how easy would it be for a unexperienced guy like myself to screw up my stereo in the process? Like is it a risky procedure? Also this wont hurt anything once its in does it? I just have no idea about these things, im just a little nervous im going to mess something up.

Hey this sounds amazing, but im not really experienced in tearing apart the factory radios. The instructions look good and clear but how easy would it be for a unexperienced guy like myself to screw up my stereo in the process? Like is it a risky procedure? Also this wont hurt anything once its in does it? I just have no idea about these things, im just a little nervous im going to mess something up.

you'll be fine.. just keep track of the screws you take out.. lol I had a few stragglers and had to take it apart again to see where I forgot them.. other than that it is relatively easy..

Yeah it seems complicated (at first) But, all the instructions are pretty straight forward and it was pretty easy in the end. Take your time. Keep track of the various parts,screws...
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

I don't know if any of you have had the same experience, but before the Jazzy I use to keep my EQ at +1 Bass, 0 Mid, and +2 Treble....Now with the Jazzy I have everything set at 0 with almost truer lows and highs. The overall volume is a little bit lower, but the quality seems better. Even with CD's.

Don't know if the differences are all in my head. But I am VERY happy with the quality of the audio.

Yep - still making them.

PM's replied.

To those that had issues with the latest batch of CD's - I apologize for the dead CD's. I think I've resolved the issue for future orders. The burner on my old computer finally died, but it was still pretending to make CD's.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Question for everyone. I have this installed (me likey enough to get my own Ipod so I would stop "borrowing" the GF's :rolleyes:) but I have a question for those who are using the headphone jack for their Ipods. For me, I have to crank the volume to 100% on my Ipod and then listen to the radio a bit higher than "normal". Is this what people are experiencing? I'm using the headphone because when on long trips my GF watches movies and likes to pipe the sound through the stereo. If using the line-out would fix the issue I guess I could always make up a patch cable (I installed a 1/8" jack in the armrest and also use the power plug for charging).

and yes I tried searching and scanned the thread. and yes, I got board and gave up......:redface:

Thanks for any help!

Edited by mcsquish
me spell goodly

McSquish,

The problem is that you're using the headphone jack. The headphone jack provides a voltage level that is well below that of a true line level output and that's why it's quieter.

If you want an easily swappable 1/8" jack, you could use something like this to connect to the iPod. That way it's a line level output, but you can still swap back and forth:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

McSquish,

The problem is that you're using the headphone jack. The headphone jack provides a voltage level that is well below that of a true line level output and that's why it's quieter.

If you want an easily swappable 1/8" jack, you could use something like this to connect to the iPod. That way it's a line level output, but you can still swap back and forth:

Thanks! I had a hunch that was the issue.

McSquish,

I bought the pro kit a while ago and finally got around to installing it. Great product and the install couldn't have been any easier(1/2 hour including the factory sub). Makes me wonder why I waited so long? :confused: I was wondering ^ the very same thing as McSquish. I just ordered the PocketDock. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives. Jazzy, Thanks for the great product and the link to the PocketDock!

The more I read about this, the more it looks like I need it. I think I've come to terms with the fact that i'll never get actual headunit-->ipod control due to there not being an auto-kit for auto-climate controls.

I suppose my only option is the jazzy, or to do an '07 swap..I may be ordering a jazzy pro this week.

I received my board quickly from Nathan. Problem is, it's red and looks different than the one shown on his site and in the instructions. Did I get the wrong one? I'm attaching a pic of the green one from the site and the red one I received. You can see that aside from the color, there are some differences too. Help!?!

board.jpg.bac99827125468e1b0fc25a3cecf7a24.jpg

IMG_4306.JPG.6d484ac15aed4a2eec280f99c7a0cbad.JPG

You got the right one, it just has RCA's instead of the headphone type jack.

I installed the same board in my car about a month ago, and couldnt be happier.

- Ben