LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

When you loosen the band, you're technically rotating the turbine housing, whichever way you look at it, has the same effect in the end ;)

Yeah. The IHI's are pinned at the exhaust housing so that alignment is pretty much set in stone unless you remove their tiny roll pin, which is easily done. The IHI's are also the ones that are sealed with silicone, so it would be extremely difficult to actually turn the compressor housing and if you could, that would definitely tell you that your seal wasn't much good to begin with...LOL.

I've taken apart IHI's and have found just enough silicone there to see a discoloration but not enough to actually seal anything. I've repaired a couple of boost leaks right at this spot because being right in the firing line of the compressor wheel, it can push right past the crappy seal (or lack thereof) and cause a boost leak you'll tear your hair out trying to find.

Good photos though because I've found many turbos that were not in alignment causing the installers a TON of headaches trying to get the TMIC bolted on and they are a pain in the ass enough even if they are in correct alignment.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one; after hard running I get a burned oil smell and occasional smoke out of the hood vent. I'm pretty sure it's turbo related. There's no oil visible on the turbo, none getting flung up form the CV joints.

I have an AVO380 that's about 2 yrs old, and a built motor with a high-flow (or high pressure, don't recall which) oil pump. One guess is I'm getting oil pushing by the seals and into the exhaust side of the turbo causing oil burning smell and occasional oil smoke out the hood vent.

I'd love to hear thoughts on cause and resolution

tanks mang

Check the turbo oil return line, i had that issue after installing my new turbo, ended up just throwing a hose clamp on it along w/ the stock clamp. If you get a leak there it can drip right on the UP. You might also see a little oil on the bottom edge of the head, since that's where it would end up if wind didn't help it drop onto the UP.

You can get a good look at it from behind the half shaft, face against the DP :rolleyes:

Getting your hand in there to put a clamp on it... well.. that just sucks :cool:

Here's one; after hard running I get a burned oil smell and occasional smoke out of the hood vent. I'm pretty sure it's turbo related. There's no oil visible on the turbo, none getting flung up form the CV joints.

I have an AVO380 that's about 2 yrs old, and a built motor with a high-flow (or high pressure, don't recall which) oil pump. One guess is I'm getting oil pushing by the seals and into the exhaust side of the turbo causing oil burning smell and occasional oil smoke out the hood vent.

I'd love to hear thoughts on cause and resolution

tanks mang

Check PS valve cover. When I had smoke out of my hood scoop. The PS valve cover was dropping on the UP.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

New topic on the turbo upgrade theme ...

Any thoughts on how long we can go with the new turbo before having the car "Tuned" for it? I know it needs to be done but ...

I just put in a new short block along with a new BNR and wanted to get some miles on the break-in before working it on a dyno.

Any detrimantal effects due to sticking with the oem "tune" for 1000mi?

Thanks for your input.

• I Donated
I'd recommend getting a limp tune rather than using the OEM one and trying not to build boost.

It's easy not to build boost IF you have a gauge. I drove around for a few days on a Stage 2 tune with a 16G installed -- I just kept an eye on the boost gauge. No biggie. Without a boost gauge, though... well, these cars build boost a lot easier than most would think.

That'll do it.

But honestly, you problably want the engine to see a bit a boost during Intitial break in. I followed cobbs guide which allowed 5 pounds under 4500. They say it good to get the pistons to see a bit of pressure so it can seal into the walls better. But it also depends on who built the motor and what thier specs were.

I couldn't be happier with how my break in has been. With the vigourisly oil changes the first 1300 miles, I haven't seen a drop gone now. 13k on the motor and did A full 3500 oci, I filled the bucket as much as I put in.