LegacyGT.com

What turbo? wiki... with a twist

Why is this not a sticky? I found this very helpful if I ever try to go stage 2! :O

Hit the 'Report!' button and request that if you want it done. ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 1 month later...

From FBP site, Important Note's Regarding Warranty Info:

When you purchase a VF52 Turbo from Fred Beans Parts - it comes with a 12 month / unlimited mileage warranty. In order for your warranty to be valid & honored with Fred Beans Parts, you must also purchase & install the two oil feed lines & screen bolts on the same invoice. If you do not order & install these parts, we have no recourse with Subaru to honor the warranty.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-legacy-gt-vf52-turbocharger.html

Good rule is to change the oil line when you replace the turbo. Check with the vendor that sell the turbo. Which oil line they recommend, OEM or After Market (like the IP&T).

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Why would you even look at ancient technology like this? Your friend have one he pulled off his crashed Civic?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Is the 2010 gt a twin scroll turbo??

No, it isn't, even though the header is twin-scroll. Since that puts the final collector right at the turbo flange I guess you could call this 1.5 scroll. The turbo exhaust housing itself has only one inlet and one volute.

This question more properly belongs in either the 2.5 turbo powertrain or 5th gen sub-forums.

Replacement for VF38 twinscroll turbo?

I've been told by a few people that the manifold and downpipe fit ONLY this turbo.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems silly to create the exhaust and manafold to be compatable with only one turbo..?

Sure would like to upgrade..

Sounds like you dont understand what twinscroll is. There are TWO scrolls and two tubes coming out of the turbo. It requires its own piping, Had one in my hands day before yesterday.

If you're relpying to me, I realise all that.. but it still seems a bit silly to create an engine/turbo package that can only take one particular turbo from one particular manufacturer. What happens when they stop making VF38's? Whole new dump, manifold, turbo etc is required.. $5k cuz you spin a bearing in the VF38. yuk.

If you're relpying to me, I realise all that.. but it still seems a bit silly to create an engine/turbo package that can only take one particular turbo from one particular manufacturer. What happens when they stop making VF38's? Whole new dump, manifold, turbo etc is required.. $5k cuz you spin a bearing in the VF38. yuk.

Here's a link http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=94 . I would think you could use any IHI VF twin scroll turbo or go after market. Just need to do some research. The link shows 4 IHI VF twin scroll turbo options, 36,37,38 & 42. Looks like you have more then one chose from.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Replacement for VF38 twinscroll turbo?

I've been told by a few people that the manifold and downpipe fit ONLY this turbo.

Can anyone confirm this? Seems silly to create the exhaust and manafold to be compatable with only one turbo..?

Sure would like to upgrade..

Another VF38, TD04HLA-19T, I believe the VF44/45 will also fit the flange configuration.

The VF36/37 and VF42 will not fit the flanging for the VF38 style turbo.

I was looking at a TD04HLA-19T, but they are hard to come by used, and wasn't going to spend the money for one brand new. I had nekdut/kirbwrx's VF38/PE1818(18g) setup and the oil seals went. I was pushing 23psi through it til it started to give up on life. Will probably end up throwing the piping up for sale, was debating on trying to rebuild it but after it was pulled and I saw the shaft play...went back to single scroll with a vf39/ewg (got a hell of a deal localling on the turbo/ewg setup).

Edited by dingbang

• 3 weeks later...

For the Evo 3 16g do you need a stand alone ecu? Go a little confused there. Or can you use one of the Cobb or similar type tuning devices? Picking up a lgt before this winter as a daily and want to bump it up to around 300whp hopefully!

On a side note I can't get over how cheap power upgrades are for this car! I have missed the stock turbo cars upgradability recently! $500-1000 for gains of 50-70 hp is awesome!

I spent probably 4 grand to go from 200-300 hp in my current car. And then another 3000 to go to over 400!

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

For the Evo 3 16g do you need a stand alone ecu?

Of course not, look at the part matrix. I ran for a year at or close to 300whp on the 16G, an aftermarket downpipe, a 3-port BCS and a solid tune. The bang-for-buck quotient took a nose-dive after that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...