LegacyGT.com

Frankensubie....

Haven't seen an answer to my other post, so I will pose a new question that maybe can be answered. '97 DOHC heads from EJ25 on a 1995 EJ22 - is that an improvement over the stock SOHC heads?

I rode in my dads 96 that I put together that way. I did it because its what we had laying around to work with. It felt stronger to me, but I wasn't driving and its a 5 speed so its kinda an apple to orange comparison.

Can't offer any help. Never heard of doing this. Most people talk about 22 heads on a 25 block. Gives higher conpression. I would assume that the opposite would be true in your case. Maybe do it and put a little boost to it?
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

FINALLY I found some info. Assuming its correct, the DOHC heads are 46 cc and the EJ22 SOHC is 41. The swap would drop compression to just under 9:1.

I don't know if its the cam grind, or the ECU tune is not good for SOHC heads...but his seems like it has a lot more torque between 2000 - 4000 and he gets 26-27 MPG.

More research makes me think a 2.5 crank in a 2.2 block would result in pistons almost 2mm above deck height unless there are some pistons with a reduced compression height or some shorter rods.

The EJ22 (76.9 bore x 75 mm stroke) is smaller bore and stroke than the EJ25 (99ish bore x 79 stroke) if what I've read is right. I was concerned about this when I put dad's together. The dimensions of the combustion chamber of the DOHC head still fit nicely. It seems that there was a minor alignment problem with the head gasket overhanging a bit over the water jacket but it seems to me we just ran with it.

I'm starting to think that when the computer is set up to work with these DOHC heads, it makes the SOHC heads SUCK...

Short answer is run a PHASE 2 EJ222 withs a PHASE 2 EJ251/3. You cant run a Ej25D rev 1 or 2 with s Ej22E while both are Phase 1 engines your Ej25D might be a rev 2 but it might be a phase 1 b/c the split with the EJ25d occurred btwn the 96-97 and 97-98 year. Think of the EJ25D rev 2 as a test engine for the Phase 2 EJ25 main run.

That EJ22E head on a EJ25D setup you mentioned earlier isnt the optimal setup. If I were you i would simply NOT try to go this route. Finding a phase 2 EJ222 in good shape isnt impossible but now you have intake manifold issues with a EJ25 P2 block and the wiring and the sensors is a pita that you dont need to go through not to mention it is lack power.

Why not run a EJ251 or a EJ222 whole setup ? Why are you trying to go the proposed route, this isnt a turbo were the EJ22T is supreme(strength wise).

Gee-Otto, I think you've misunderstood, I'm suggesting the opposite. DOHC heads from 1997 EJ25D (not sure if rev 1 or 2 - these have the solid buckets with no HLA), bolted to a 1995 EJ22. I'm not sure if its the EJ22E??? Maybe just EJ22. Pulled from a '95 Legacy wagon.

As for why...because these are parts I own and have laying around. I'm not dead set on it, but when I take the heads off for HG, I want to rebuild and bolt the best set (for performance and / or MPG) back on. Like I've said, dad's feels stronger than mine with the setup I've described but I simply don't trust my butt-omoter :lol: Especially with a drop in comression. His has worked well for prob 2000 miles thus far.

Thanks again for your insight, Gee-Otto.

Got it, the solid buckets are revision 2 for the EJ25D. The EJ22E is the phase 2 EJ22 the phase 2 is the EJ222. The phase 1, 4 cylinder EJs have a letter instead of a number (e.g. EJ22E vs EJ222 or Ej25D vs EJ251). The mismatch on the heads btwn the two engines is something I wouldnt want to deal and the shorter stroke of the EJ22 all add up to pitiful power :lol:

That 95 EJ22E wont accept the Ej25D rev2 crank due to the thrust bearing position, the pistons wont work due to the bore mismatch, the stroke might work with the right HG and rod combo.

Archived