LegacyGT.com

50$ mod to eliminate intercooler heat soak

well i got sick of the inter cooler getting hot after 1 min of the car sitting at idle, in traffic the car is a cow..

so my solution.. 50$ fan from summit racing

it sits in the space under the intercooler operated with a switch so when ever the car is sitting in traffic or at the line at the track run the fan .. and it will pull cold air from the scoop pull it through the intercooler and also blows on to the turbo.

p_00241.thumb.jpg.72adadea4bf54821d0bff0b681612ad8.jpg

p_00243.thumb.jpg.96f8928607802cef360525c57911b7c4.jpg

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tight fit! but worth it ! i had to trim the sides of the fan ... and bent the tab down that has the tranny breathers on it .. once installed its invisible

Do you actually feel a difference?

all this does is eliminate the chiminy effect all the hot under hood air passing through the inter cooler on its way out.. it keeps pulling cold air down.

I have thought of something like this before. But My thought was to do something like getting a bunch of cheep computer case fans and then installing a switch for them.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I'd be worried about heat with a non-automotive application..

and water.

has this been rained on yet?

I'd still be worried about heat with that honestly.

additional note/idea.

if you could tap the radiator's fan relay signal for this unit you could synchronize them so that this fan turns on and off automatically. That way you wont have an issue with it creating drag trying to spin slower than the air is flowing over it when moving.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have thought of something like this before. But My thought was to do something like getting a bunch of cheep computer case fans and then installing a switch for them.

Hahaha i think the air goin through the fans would spin them faster than the fans can actually spin.

havent seen you in a while lawl, thought maybe you moved to canada. :lol:

I'm used to mechanical fans, do these have a built in clutch where they wont try to spin slower than wind resistance or does the oem fan shut off? I'd be worried about it at high speeds increasing IC temps because of it dragging and slowing airflow if its trying to spin.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'm used to mechanical fans, do these have a built in clutch where they wont try to spin slower than wind resistance or does the oem fan shut off? I'd be worried about it at high speeds increasing IC temps because of it dragging and slowing airflow if its trying to spin.

bah don't be silly .. the inter cooler cools off at like 30 mph .. anything more than that means nothing .. and yes fmic is the best .. but those who don't want to pay that much .. its a fast and easy solution.

bah don't be silly .. the inter cooler cools off at like 30 mph .. anything more than that means nothing .. and yes fmic is the best .. but those who don't want to pay that much .. its a fast and easy solution.

Ahh... valid point. :rolleyes:

What about the fact that you are blocking ~15% of the surface area of the intercooler with the fan (the parts where air isn't going through, like at the center around the motor)?

Ahh... valid point. :rolleyes:

What about the fact that you are blocking ~15% of the surface area of the intercooler with the fan (the parts where air isn't going through, like at the center around the motor)?

well i see from my data logging that air inlet temperature when driving is like maybe 5 deg higher then ambent ..

look its the same story for the frnt radiator fans on any car .. yesteh fan blocks 15% of the air but .. when your stoped in traffic your screwd with out them.

yes but the point I was trying to make is when you are moving the radiator fan stops TRYING to spin and lets the air naturally flow over it. If your fan continues to try to spin when the air speed exceeds it it can actually slow the air a bit and act as an air dam of sorts.

lol havent been to the political arena for awhile.

the elections are over and vimy scares the bejeebus out of me.

car for sale. PM me!

The whole radiator fan comparison is not true because a radiator fan pulls air whereas your fan is pushing the air through your intercooler. The entire surface area of the radiator is exposed with a fan that pulls air through it meaning better cooling when the car is in motion.

Although your temps at idle will be lower I would say when moving you won't see as significant of a temp lowering as when idle. Not to say that temps will be higher at all. I'm just saying they wont be that much lower when your car is in motion.

Archived