LegacyGT.com

2005 lgt 2 turbo fails in 2 weeks

hey guys i fairly new here and i just have a few question,so i was on the stock vf-40 with stage 2 and that turbo went out i was drive heard a noise and then felt like i was driving a civic. so i check the boost and there is a rattling noise from the turbo with a cel code so i get a vf-52 have it installed at solid auto works in slc, they tell me that the filter was pretty gummed up and the oil line had melted so during the install they replace all that stuff and all seems good, ive put 800 miles on it and i get my oil light on and again fells like a civic, im worried that this turbo went out also. is it something i did wrong or did solid not do what they said? the guys out at rally sport say it could just be an oil line or the top mount cracked? what do you think?

Impossible to diagnose over the internet. Lots of possibilities, any many of them are bad.

First, i'd stop driving it and get it towed to a shop you trust. Not uncommon for the vf40's to go bad, and send metal bits downstream, only to cause engine damage further down the road.

I'm not sure what your mechanical ability is, so if this seems below your level, please don't take offense. Do you know what rod knock is, and would you know it if you hear it? I suspect that is what may be going on, and I'm afraid that isn't good news. The oil light means low oil pressure, and likely the engine starved of oil causing some nasty results. Hope I'm wrong.

Oil light is never a real good sign. Combined with the history, I don't get a good feeling about this.

yeah i dont know once i felt like the second one is going out i pulled over and the car has been there. so i havnt been driving it but no i would know how to do anything i do know what a rod knock is but i wouldnt know what it sounds like. i checked the oil and its still full so i dont know why it would not have enough oil. i got the oil change at the same time as install so 800 miles ago

i read that thread the first time when it went out and i told the shop to flush everything and they said they did and i gave them that list, they said there was no bits in the top mount and by where the turbo failed any part would have just gone out the tail pipe

Just get it towed to a shop. Not much that we can do for you at this point.

It's not that you wouldn't have enough oil, it's that the oil can't move to parts of the engine that needs it. The oil light means low oil pressure, which means the oil isn't circulating around to the spots it's needed, which is bad.

Rod knock is a loud noise coming from your engine, metal on metal sound.

Regardless, take it to a shop. Don't turn it on again. It's still possible that it could be a minor thing. However, the symptoms you mention warrant being careful and not turning the car on until someone with more experience can look at it. If you turn it on now, you could make it worse.

I don't think a tune is your first priority UNLESS, you find out that the problem was a simple fix.

Just find a decent shop that is familiar with rebuilding subaru engines, bring it there. My guess is whoever did your turbo swap should get first crack at it, unless you got bad vibes from them the first time around.

Provided the engine is mechanically OK, you'll want to get the tune.

the metal shards from the vf40 circulated around the engine oil, got hung up everywhere, then it was "flushed", vf52 went on, oil lines were partially blocked, shards still present in oil, shards then collected in feed line banjo, turbo starves, engine bearings follow suit.

If all this has happened I would certainly look at a new engine to start from. The risk of damage to other parts and then debris floating around all the time would certainly just add to the risk of new damage in an infinite cycle.
453747.png

hey guys i fairly new here and i just have a few question,so i was on the stock vf-40 with stage 2 and that turbo went out i was drive heard a noise and then felt like i was driving a civic. so i check the boost and there is a rattling noise from the turbo with a cel code so i get a vf-52 have it installed at solid auto works in slc, they tell me that the filter was pretty gummed up and the oil line had melted so during the install they replace all that stuff and all seems good, ive put 800 miles on it and i get my oil light on and again fells like a civic, im worried that this turbo went out also. is it something i did wrong or did solid not do what they said? the guys out at rally sport say it could just be an oil line or the top mount cracked? what do you think?

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Archived