LegacyGT.com

GP Moto vs. K-Sport Coilovers

illt3ck

Has anyone had a chance to drive / ride in two separate cars with each suspension setup in order to compare / contrast? I know that XenonK (Keefe) took a ride in DM's car as well as Patagonian GT have had a chance to check it out. Do the GP Moto coilovers eclipse the k-sport in performance and adjustability to keep the $500 price difference?

it's going to be a hard thing for me to review on this one until someone let's me autox their car wtih the GP Motos. I think if the GP Motos have some good shock valving that matches the spring rates, then it would be great. I have been reading up that people have been having issues with the ride height adjustment vs. spring perch preload with the GP Moto (but I'll have to track that thread to see what issues are really about). I think you should be good to go if the GP Motos are very close to a set of Tein Flex comparably, then it would be expected of "you pay for what you get" and the price reflects it. But if the GPMs have some really great valving, then that's where the difference will come into play and it might be better to just fork over the $500 for the GPMs over the K-Sport but not go with the Tein Flex softer spring rate.

Keefe

Keefe

it's going to be a hard thing for me to review on this one until someone let's me autox their car wtih the GP Motos. I think if the GP Motos have some good shock valving that matches the spring rates, then it would be great. I have been reading up that people have been having issues with the ride height adjustment vs. spring perch preload with the GP Moto (but I'll have to track that thread to see what issues are really about). I think you should be good to go if the GP Motos are very close to a set of Tein Flex comparably, then it would be expected of "you pay for what you get" and the price reflects it. But if the GPMs have some really great valving, then that's where the difference will come into play and it might be better to just fork over the $500 for the GPMs over the K-Sport but not go with the Tein Flex softer spring rate.

Keefe

While I know that you are no fan of Tein products, FYI the Flex's come with 8kg/mm F and 9kg/mm R springs. I believe that the GPM's are 6/6, making the Tein's 33% stiffer in front and 50% stiffer in the rear. The K-Sports are 7/7, or 15% softer in front and 29% softer in the rear than the Tein's. So they are most certainly not softer than any other comparably priced options.

Xenox, one thing I've allways liked is the huge range of damping on the GPMoto coilovers. With 9K springs setting 8 out of 16 seems to be about right for the backroads, where 5 is definitely underdamped. When they first went on with 6K springs a setting of 10 made it feel exactly like the JDM JIC FLT-A2's I had. Or so overdamped its not remotely funny. A setting of 5 feels like it was right.

W/O more experience than I have testing and tuning suspension, and no instrmented testing I can't say how close to reality my feelings are.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just installed a set of the GPMoto's on a customers car and although we haven't floged or even tried many settings I found them to have a decent ride. I am NOT at all impressed with the design though, they are very awkward compared to many suspension systems I am used to working with, but as said, you pay for what you get. The GP Moto's are a cheap coilover set-up and I would not expect too much out of them. If it were my own car I would definitely use a set of DMS's as the build quality is far better than these, and even with the large price difference they would be well worth it in the long term IMO. This IS a biased post so take it for what it is. For the price the GPMoto's appear to offer a lot (large amount of adjustability, decent ride, comes with camber plates in the front). But for my own car I would NOT get these. My 2cents.

I've just installed a set of the GPMoto's on a customers car and although we haven't floged or even tried many settings I found them to have a decent ride. I am NOT at all impressed with the design though, they are very awkward compared to many suspension systems I am used to working with, but as said, you pay for what you get. The GP Moto's are a cheap coilover set-up and I would not expect too much out of them. If it were my own car I would definitely use a set of DMS's as the build quality is far better than these, and even with the large price difference they would be well worth it in the long term IMO. This IS a biased post so take it for what it is. For the price the GPMoto's appear to offer a lot (large amount of adjustability, decent ride, comes with camber plates in the front). But for my own car I would NOT get these. My 2cents.

What did you find akward about the way they were set up?

How does the decent ride of the gp moto's compared to a stock Legacy?

If it were my own car I would definitely use a set of DMS's as the build quality is far better than these, and even with the large price difference they would be well worth it in the long term IMO.

Does DMS even build anything for the new Legacy? And aren't they at least twice as expensive? And did they finally start making coilovers that can live on a daily driver without needing to be serviced all the time?

yup - Lachute has them for for $2900CAN, which is $2388US. EXPENSIVE, given the Cusco and ZEAL's are close in price and appear to have a feature the DMS lacks...independent height adjustment.

http://www.lachuteperformance.com/products/pimages/2/5/225-1-2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I installed a set of GP Moto on a LGT last weekend (BOXRPWR).. I was unimpressed by them. No instructions supplied, lack of height adjustability on the bottom perch. (couldn't even move the rears, the fronts were limited too) There are no provisions for mounting the brake line and the sensor cable...

However, they have a nice ride quality to them... I liked that. We took them around for a spin and Kevin hit up this area that he really likes to drive around... he drove pretty hard around there and they were quite nice IMO. You can contact him regarding daily grind subjective feelings..

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

They recently added collars for the brake and ABS lines, have your friend call his dealer and have them send out a set. Also you can adjust the bottom perch, the whole assembly is threaded. We don't normally put much preload on them, just enough to keep the spring from rattling.

Cheers,

Joel

Archived