LegacyGT.com

Rear Brake Pads wrong size?

mikerc971

I set out to do a brake job on my 05 Legacy this weekend (despite the below zero temperatures outside... good thing I have a garage that can be heated).

Everything was going smoothly (replaced front pads, rotors) until I got to the back brakes. The old pads were different than the new ones I got! The metal tabs that jut out of either end of the pads were larger than the old ones, and they did not fit into the mount at all, even with if I took the metal pins out that hold the pads in place.

I took the new pads back to Pep Boys where I got them, verified that they were the right pads (according to their computer). All the other pads they had in stock for the rears were the same as the first pair I bought - too big!

I went to AutoZone and AutoCare Plus and found a similar problem.

Is this a common problem to run into with the Legacy? Do I need to modify the new pads (grind down the tabs) in order to make them fit, or is every parts store I went to stocking the wrong pads (I find that doubtful)? Any other thoughts?

This is the first brake job I've ever done. Aside from this problem, everything else went along swimmingly. Fortunately, the old rear pads still have about 40% left on them, so I should be good with them for a while yet.

[

I took the new pads back to Pep Boys where I got them, verified that they were the right pads (according to their computer). All the other pads they had in stock for the rears were the same as the first pair I bought - too big!

I went to AutoZone and AutoCare Plus and found a similar problem.

Is this a common problem to run into with the Legacy? Do I need to modify the new pads (grind down the tabs) in order to make them fit, or is every parts store I went to stocking the wrong pads (I find that doubtful)? Any other thoughts?

This is the first brake job I've ever done. Aside from this problem, everything else went along swimmingly. Fortunately, the old rear pads still have about 40% left on them, so I should be good with them for a while yet.

Yes it is a common problem. Same issue with air filter! They don't fit, get your money back!!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Is this a common problem to run into with the Legacy?

The Legacy shares rear calipers with the WRX, but the WRX has had at least three different calipers since 2002. The auto parts stores are probably confusing them.

We stock pads (HERE) that fit the Legacy, and since we specialize in these cars, we know what fits...

In the specific case of the rear 05+ GT calipers, the pad is the same as the 02-03 WRX rear calipers. If you cross-reference that at the auto-parts store, that should allow you to check and make sure you get the right thing. Unless their database is wrong on THAT listing too, which is always a possibility. ;)

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

The Legacy shares rear calipers with the WRX, but the WRX has had at least three different calipers since 2002. The auto parts stores are probably confusing them.

We stock pads (HERE) that fit the Legacy, and since we specialize in these cars, we know what fits...

In the specific case of the rear 05+ GT calipers, the pad is the same as the 02-03 WRX rear calipers. If you cross-reference that at the auto-parts store, that should allow you to check and make sure you get the right thing. Unless their database is wrong on THAT listing too, which is always a possibility. ;)

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 3 weeks later...
I was in the same situation this weekend. I went to the autoparts store and got the wrong rear pads. The size and the location of the tabs are all wrong. The pads are also smaller than what is on the car. They went and got a pair for the Impreza and the pads where the same size but the tab was half the size. Even though the top of the tab was at the same location I still didn't get them because that tab was was to small and would of been floating around to much.

• 1 year later...

Archived