LegacyGT.com

'05 LGT 5MT needs new clutch - general q's

Kingfisher

Let me start off by staying that I did more searches and read more posts than I care to count, so I think I have a good general understanding but I still have a few questions.

I've got an '05 LGT with the manual. Last night it started slipping in high gear (clutch has had it). I need to get this thing replaced but I'm confused by some of the options out there, and I've got an extended warranty to maintain. I'm guessing that with the extended warr. I'm pretty much confined to the stock replacement but not entirely sure. So here comes the questions.

1. Anyone know if the WRX flywheel swap would be a big no-no with the extended warranty?
  2. What is the big difference between the stock FW and the WRX swap? This is the wife's daily, and the family weekend driver, and the car is bone stock. I'd prefer not to change general day-to-day driveability. Looking for something with the same feel.
  3. From what I understand the stock FW can't be resurfaced. Did I understand this correctly? If so, what are the odds that with 50k miles it'll need to be resurfaced or replaced?
  4. The local dealer is quoting me roughly $900 for the parts alone which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The FW by itself was over $500. What gives? If I go back the stock route, is there somewhere I can go and not get completely raped on the price or is this stuff all fixed from SOA?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch....I think the WRX flywheel might be fine with extended warranty if the dealer is ok with it.....it's a subaru part, used in damn near the same subaru drivetrain. The most popular way to go with that is an ACT HD clutch, I believe. Should have a different feel but still very easy driveability.

50k on your 05 LGT? Did you ever experience a fair amount of clutch stink? Launch it occasionally? Or just daily driving?

Joe

Yeah, the pricing is not pretty. I went back by the dealer again today and confirmed the price on the flywheel. They confirmed the $500+ price tag. :( They did however say that they should be able to resurface it. That they have a machine shop here locally that has been able to do it before. Problem is that now they're quoting me something like $700 in labor cost.

50k is from being the wife's daily 5 days a week, and then I would get to play around with it on the weekend. Yes, I did have the stinky clutch a time or two when I got a little over zealous on a launch. This clutch was always pretty slippery as far as clutches go. Understandably though since they want it to give before something in the drivetrain does. I'm just trying to figure out what is reasonable on something like this. Don't want to get boned if I can avoid it. I'm also checking with some local places to see if they could do the job for less. I'd rather give the money to the little guy if possible. We'll see though.

I think you should go with either a stock flywheel and appropriate clutch, or go with an ACT HD and WRX single-mass flywheel. From what I understand, you are looking at around $1000-1100 for parts and labor on either of those combos....

Joe

P.s. Don't re-surface the stock dual mass flywheel.

My clutch went around 45k.... so they man warrenty did not cover the replacement. I bought an exedy stage 1 clutch and flywheen off ebay for $400 and around $700 for labor.... Subaru wanted much more and and I could not afford what they wanted. Subaru told me that the subaru clutches are very sensative and even resting your foot on the clutch pedal can cause wear.

I wouldnt really recommend resurfacing eaither because it sometimes results in some chatter...

My whole idea on oem vs am is when the a part on your car goes... why not spend a little extra get a performance piece... your going to have to replace it anyway...

1. What is the big difference between the stock FW and the WRX swap? This is the wife's daily, and the family weekend driver, and the car is bone stock. I'd prefer not to change general day-to-day driveability. Looking for something with the same feel. The most stock feel will be the OEM Dual Mass LGT flywheel. Yes it is more expensive but should not be over $500. PM Jeremy at thekingofparts. If your modified (stage 2) or even stock I would recommend the ACT HD set up with OEM '06 WRX flywheel (single mass) It drives very very near to stock. Clutch effort is maybe 10% firmer.
  2. The local dealer is quoting me roughly $900 for the parts alone which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The FW by itself was over $500. What gives? If I go back the stock route, is there somewhere I can go and not get completely raped on the price or is this stuff all fixed from SOA?
    Again PM Jeremy at thekingofparts for excellent OEM part prices. They even carry ACT now.

Understood, thanks for the insight gentlemen (and ladies if applicable). The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to go back with a stocker. With it being the wife's car and the fact that I don't want any static off of the dealer for the extended that seems like the best way to go. I may change my mind in the next few days but that's where I'm leaning at the moment.

You need to address something, unless you've got alot of city miles on that car. 50k is not sufficient.....evenon this car. 75k should be your "baseline" longevity as acceptable, in my mind.

My 08 is my wife's DD as well. She doesn't rev match and she likes to rev to ~2000 and quickly let out the clutch. I haven't smelled clutch when she drives, ever, but I don't expect this clutch to last forever.

I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about resurfacing the flywheel.

I'm getting my clutch replaced, and I'm pretty sure the tech was going to resurface it. I really hope it's not a problem..

$900 w/ Flywheel. Around $500 without (rough number). That's the dealer price. The Subarugenuineparts site price comes out to $277.39 sans FW. Add the FW and we're at $495. Something is amiss with the FW though. I don't see how it's possible that the Subarugenuineparts page is selling the FW for less than half of what the dealer is quoting unless it's different, or the dealer really is trying to shank me that bad. Wouldn't be the first time! :D

I was just in the same situation, I have 80k KM on my 05 Wagon and was shocked at what the dealer here in Vancouver wanted for the DM flywheel. $900!!

I was frustrated that the clutch only lasted that long and that the dealer told me that was about average for the Legacy GT. I was never happy with the stock clutch.

So I went to a rally speciality shop here and had them put in an ACT HDMM with the WRX flywheel and I couldn't be happier. It was still REALLY expensive, but still cheaper than the dealer and I have ended up with a much better clutch. It grabs way better and you know exactly where the friction point is, I just love it and so does my wife. She finds it way easier to drive now.

I get a little chatter when I am below 2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd, but it's not a big deal. I'm still expecting that to go away when I fully break it in. I obviously haven't launched, but have done a couple quick runs through 2nd, 3rd, 4th and the wagon definitely feels quicker.

If this is not covered under warranty, don't even bother going to the STEALER oh did I say that. Meant to say dealer...

Tell us where you live and may be someone can recommend a good shop.

IMO Subaru OEM clutch's SUCK. If you don't understand that read more in this forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, should have added location in here sooner. Didn't realize it wasn't in my profile. I'm in Austin, Tx. As it stands, we've only got two Subaru dealers here in the area (unless you want to go 60 miles North to Temple or 80 miles South to San Antonio).

Big Mac, appreciate the info. Having the woman's perspective thrown in there helps since I'd prefer to avoid and issues with the old lady.

Argh, dangit, I thought I clicked the "Post" button on this hours ago.

i am also in a similar situation, over 60,000 miles on my 05 LGT clutch and it is going. My car is stage 2 protuned and I want to make sure what I get is going to be driveable and able to handle the power and last. I feel that i should go aftermarket with the clutch and flywheel . I see at JSC speed they have fidanza aluminum flywheel for $360, ACT Streetlite for 274 and spec aluminum for 359. I figured I should probably get one of those along with the Spec Stage II clutch but am not sure which flywheel would suit my needs (or if the 06 wrx would be better and if so where i'd get it). my clutch has been going for a while and i'm really not sure what to do here so if anyone can let me know their advice i would really appreciate it. Thanks

^ I had chatter once when it was new during brake in. (also my pitch mount was loose so that could have contributed) Going on a year now...one time, thats it. Yes single mass flywheel oem for the '06 WRX.

< see my "Car:"

A lightweight flywheel should only be desired when you want the ultimate in responsive in both revs rising AND revs falling....not always desirable in a DD.

The ACT HD and SM flywheel in the WRX is, essentially, a setup used in....the WRX :)

Any chatter would most likely be caused by the ACT clutch.

Joe

Archived