LegacyGT.com

Frustrations of a Loyal Subaru Car Buyer

I'm in the market for a used/pre-owned Subaru Legacy GT, but only because Subaru currently does not offer this configuration. Sure, I could buy a 3.6R but its not turbocharged.

It's interesting how life changes can effect car buying decisions. I'm 30, married, probably going to be a father in the next few years. We want at least a 4 door sedan and SUV. We want Performance over Fuel Economy, but both would be ideal. So, the BRZ is out of the question as cool as it is because it's a coupe. They look so cool though, my wife would think I'm having a mid life crisis. WRX isn't exactly what we're looking for. Outback 3.6R and Legacy 3.6R are the closest new configurations we considered. The 2014 Forester XT is interesting to me, but not really ideal. I don't think grandma in the backseat will appreciate me whipping around mountain turns. A turbo diesel XV Crosstrek would be more like it even though it lacks the horsepower, but why Subaru, why don't you offer this configuration in the States? Could Subaru convert some of the GTI and Audi crowd with such a turbo diesel XV Crosstrek? Probably not, which is why the marketing team is pursuing a Hybrid option. They'd be more likely to convert them with the WRX or high performance Legacy.

But the absence of the Legacy GT from the current Subaru lineup is even more perplexing to me. Why did the marketing team decide to kill this performance option?

When I purchased my used 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited in 2005, I was seriously considering 2001 Legacy GT Limited Wagons. But the deal I got from a private seller was too good to pass up at the time. The whole reason we are even considering a new car now is because our 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited at 235,000 miles is exhibiting the early signs of head gasket issues, similar to but different from the head gasket issues found in my previous 1995 Subary Legacy L Wagon at 270,000 miles. I think with regular maintenance, my last two Subaru's would have lasted much longer had the head gaskets not failed. Nevertheless, I appreciate the lifespan of both models I've owned.

Did Subaru ever correct the head gasket issues found in their boxer engines?

Right now I'm looking at 2007-2009 Subaru Legacy GTs. I don't like the headlights and exterior styling on 5th generation Legacy and Outback models. It looks very Japanese to me, which is ok, but doesn't say performance. I prefer the 4th generation styling, both exterior and interior and the 2008 Subaru Legacy GT has all the features I want in a car.

Is there a definitive resource that details the exact differences between 2005-2009 4th generation Legacy GTs?

Thanks for the cars101.com tip, that site is full of awesome information.

Lack of sales, huh? Did the 2007-2009 Legacy GT not sell very well? I suppose because of the recession. 2005-2009 Legacy GT are hard to find for sure. Ya'll owning one are lucky. Why are they so rare? Are people just hanging onto them, combined with low sales?

If you're thinking kids while keeping the LGT... look again into a 5th gen. The back seat is cavernous compared to a 4th gen... Infant car seats suck up back seat room and can render the front passenger seat fairly useless. Install a convertible car seat rear facing and not really sure a 4th gen can handle that.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

If you're looking a lightly modding the car, you'll get more band for the buck (especially stage 1) I owned a 4th gen and now have a 5th gen. The space in the back is much larger feeling, as is the trunk

I realize there were poor sales in 2012 for the Legacy GT, but the 2013 Japanese Legacy B4 2.0GT looks awesome. Why doesn't Subaru of America release the Legacy B4 2.0GT or for that matter, the Exiga GT in the States? I'm still pretty confused.

I think the Exiga could sell very well sub 40k.

http://www.subaru.jp/exiga/exiga/grade/20gt_eyesight/

http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/

I have the same complaints as the OP. I'm 30 and we will be trading my wife's '05 Legacy in a year or so. I really like the looks of the 2.5i sport but really don't want to drive a car with 174hp for another 7 years. My wife's car is incredibly boring to drive though it is a very good car. I previously had an A4 but really don't want another Audi because they're pretty unreliable. We traded the A4 in for a Forester XT. I like the XT but would like a car that is fun to drive but also has AWD and is somewhat practical. If Suburu doesnt come out with a turbo legacy I will probably be looking at a Volvo S60 T5 AWD. Come on Subaru!

I realize there were poor sales in 2012 for the Legacy GT, but the 2013 Japanese Legacy B4 2.0GT looks awesome. Why doesn't Subaru of America release the Legacy B4 2.0GT or for that matter, the Exiga GT in the States? I'm still pretty confused.

I think the Exiga could sell very well sub 40k.

http://www.subaru.jp/exiga/exiga/grade/20gt_eyesight/

http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/

I agree, the DIT would do great here. I would especially want the wagon!!!:wub:

Exiga, not so sure. That's more of a minivan-type car, and yet it's still shorter than the Outback. It would probably be a flop in the same way the Tribeca's a flop. It would be okay for those who wanted it for a very specific reason, but useless to everyone else, so it wouldn't sell well.

I have the same complaints as the OP. I'm 30 and we will be trading my wife's '05 Legacy in a year or so. I really like the looks of the 2.5i sport but really don't want to drive a car with 174hp for another 7 years. My wife's car is incredibly boring to drive though it is a very good car. I previously had an A4 but really don't want another Audi because they're pretty unreliable. We traded the A4 in for a Forester XT. I like the XT but would like a car that is fun to drive but also has AWD and is somewhat practical. If Suburu doesnt come out with a turbo legacy I will probably be looking at a Volvo S60 T5 AWD. Come on Subaru!

We have an S60 T6 and love it.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

The GT went the way of the Dodo because of lack of sales due the tsunami AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, LAZY AMERICANS. Many don't know how to shift themselves, many don't want to learn, and some just can't due to medical reasons.

Proud owner of a 2012 GT.

What year is your t6 magic marker? Im worried that I will have to buy it used because I can't afford a new S60 and then 3-4 years in it will have all sorts of problems. Thats one thing with Subarus you don't have to worry about much.

What year is your t6 magic marker? Im worried that I will have to buy it used because I can't afford a new S60 and then 3-4 years in it will have all sorts of problems. Thats one thing with Subarus you don't have to worry about much.

Volvo reliability is pretty good. Its probably in the above-average category. You can check TrueDelta for a comparison. The drivetrain is very solid, and Volvo has been during turbo's for years. What does go wrong is usually small stuff. Parts are expensive though, and labor tends to also run higher.

If you're willing to do your own maintenance, they're inexpensive, since most problems are small things.

Archived