LegacyGT.com

Where to take your car for work in SoCal.

Rommel

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ This was all I every got with my Subarus in nearly 20 years of "dyno-required" smog tests in SoCal.

Smog Shop: "It's a Subaru?"

Me: "Yes"

Smog Shop: "Okay - we'll just do a visual check of the smog 'devices', an extended idle and 2500 RPM tail sniffer check, and a vacuum test of the gas cap."

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yep - until they start requiring AWD dyno tests... and given the plethora of AWD vehicles coming to market, that may not be too far down the road, at least in Kalifonia.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

Anyone know a reputable alignment shop in Irvine/central OC area?

I want them to listen to me when I tell them I want them to max out negative camber and not tell me I don't know anything and that's wrong. Preferably somewhere that won't charge me a crap ton.

Also should I wait on this until after I replace my LCA bushings? Or will it matter? My guess is yes.

Only really matters if LCA are offset. But, I would wait.

Sounds like you need at a minimum a precision alignment (if not a corner balance too). Dont know anyone up north doing precision alignments. We use a local shop (Escondido) that has a pit instead of a lift. that way even the most hammered cars can roll right up. Mechanic has been working with us for over 1 year, so he is very familiar with the Subies we bring and the specs we want..

Anyone know a reputable alignment shop in Irvine/central OC area?

I want them to listen to me when I tell them I want them to max out negative camber and not tell me I don't know anything and that's wrong. Preferably somewhere that won't charge me a crap ton.

Also should I wait on this until after I replace my LCA bushings? Or will it matter? My guess is yes.

You willing to go to Gardenia? If so, West End alignment has a stellar reputation for performance. Wait list is pretty intense though I'm told, but there reputation is the best in SoCal.

I live in the sticks though so I use someone else in Redlands. (Pruetts, who I recommend.)

Edited by nm+

Only really matters if LCA are offset. But, I would wait.

Sounds like you need at a minimum a precision alignment (if not a corner balance too). Dont know anyone up north doing precision alignments. We use a local shop (Escondido) that has a pit instead of a lift. that way even the most hammered cars can roll right up. Mechanic has been working with us for over 1 year, so he is very familiar with the Subies we bring and the specs we want..

I'm just on konis and stock springs, can I corner balance without adjustable coilovers? I just want them to max out camber in the front within stock adjustability, which I hear is -1.5 and still won't wreck my tires. As it is I'm wearing more on the outside of the tire but hopefully with the konis and an alignment I can even that out. Rears I guess 0 or -.5 seems popular?

Mike can you PM me pricing for whiteline LCA bushing kit + install? The ones I can see easily have minor cracking but they don't make any noise, how do you know when it's really time to replace? Are the offset bushings worth doing?

You willing to go to Gardenia? If so, West End alignment has a stellar reputation for performance. Wait list is pretty intense though I'm told, but there reputation is the best in SoCal.

I live in the sticks though so I use someone else in Redlands. (Pruetts, who I recommend.)

Thanks man, if I can't find someone more local I'll keep this in mind.

No way to corner balance without coils. Surprised getting crap for asking to max out camber (in so cal).

$175 to replace the rear bushings (labor). $200 for the front and rear (labor). For parts, website price minus 5% (LGT discount) plus tax (7.75%).

Adding the 0.5deg of caster up front puts more weight over the front tires and increases turn in. Most drivers like it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...