LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon Suspension swapped into Outback XT

Duffman

I wouldnt recommend it, the outback suspension is way under damped, and it floats all over the road even when new. Maybe if you could find aftermarket shocks and struts it would be good but not stock.

If it is height you want get the BC/BR coilovers made for outback (only difference is the have longer shock cartridges) and you can go stock lgt height or outback height whenever you want.

+1 to that.

There is a reason so many of us are willing to lose the ride hight and go with a stock LGT suspension.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm bypassing the wagon suspension entirely and going with Bilstein HD's!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just stumbled on this right up. I wish I thought of this before I bought my Magen Racing set up. I will eventually go with a LGT wagon suspension.

I too had the megans but just switched to the BC/BR coilovers and they are NIGHT and DAY different.

On stiff they are stiff, race car stiff.

But on about 10-12 from Full soft they are really nice and could be softer if put on full soft.

I am really pleased with these and they are MUCH MUCH better than the megans.

You can order them outback specific from Josh Nahum at Import Image. Basically they are the same exact ones for the LGT but with longer cartridges.

I am considering doing this swap to my Outback and wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. Other than swapping out the spring/strut assemblies, rear bump stops and getting an alignments, is there any other parts that need to be purchased and install? Do the stock sways bars work ok with the swap or do you have to replace it with LGT sways?

I too had the megans but just switched to the BC/BR coilovers and they are NIGHT and DAY different.

On stiff they are stiff, race car stiff.

But on about 10-12 from Full soft they are really nice and could be softer if put on full soft.

I am really pleased with these and they are MUCH MUCH better than the megans.

You can order them outback specific from Josh Nahum at Import Image. Basically they are the same exact ones for the LGT but with longer cartridges.

IIRC, BC makes the Megan Racing coilovers.

I have the Megans on my XT now, they do ride stiff. I don't recall the spring rates. Do you know what the BC spring rates are?

In what other ways are they better than the Megans?

And do the fronts have a camber adjust on the tophat or are they the same rubber tophats as the Megans?

Thanks mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty time for an update.........Still havent gotten an alignment for my car and it still amazes me how hard it is to get a simple alignment. Its just problem after problem. I tried 2 other tire shops to get an alignment and both was the same story: Its to rusted.

So I ordered some new bolts and nuts for the rear from subaru. Well I went to honda today because they were having a sale on alignments and I was sent home yet again because I didnt want to pay labor for them to replace the bolts. So I got home and opened my shiny new bolts and nuts only to find out that the nut is too small to fit on the bolt. Again another set back.

So I lift my car up just to see whats going on under it just to find that both the nuts are completely stripped. So now I guess i have to go back to subaru order new nuts and also either torch the old nuts or break out the angle grinder. Man I love this

So what size tires are you guys running with the LGT struts? Any chance of fitting a 245/45/18 with them?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have found the best alignments in my area at the local Subaru dealer. I had the same issue you are finding now with 'other' tire shops taking impact drivers to the adjustment bolts to get them loose to then find the bolts stripped beyond belief.

I have found that I actually spend more money trying to save money then just taking it to the subaru dealer. I know this seems counter intuitive, but it is harder and harder to find reputable businesses to deal with when it comes to 'simple' things like tire installs and suspension alignments.

Why in the hell do these guys not know about breaker bars and other techniques to loosen bolts that are torqued to such a high amount?

Well i finally got my alignment. First off grinding the nuts out was a pain but saved labor cost. But after that it was easy. Now it rides a lot better no wallow at all. The only problem was he rear passenger wheel was .01% out of toe spec. No big deal there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Well i finally got my alignment. First off grinding the nuts out was a pain but saved labor cost. But after that it was easy. Now it rides a lot better no wallow at all. The only problem was he rear passenger wheel was .01% out of toe spec. No big deal there.

Same here... ground off the nuts. Clearance kinda sucked but the biggest gripe was the stealership charging $28 for hardware. Sigh...

By the way you should look into DIY alignments. String/jacks for toe, build a camber gauge, and some box wrenches to get a nice tight alignment. NASIOC has a great writeup on how to do it. I do my LLGreen, the wife's Tribeca, and the 71 chevy. Easy money.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but how come you have to replace the rear bump stops? Will it work without doing that?

As another person mentioned, they are longer and you will ride on them not the suspension.

Some pictures of the stops here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/20640-bc-racing-br-type-coilover-obxt-3.html#post412983

• 4 weeks later...