LegacyGT.com

1/4 mile Elec VS Carb

I need your input. I have a father in law who is "Mopar or no car." He sneers at any vehicle that is not a Chrysler product. Imagine how he feels about Subarus. He thinks there is no amount of parts the could be installed on my car that could make it capable of outrunning the car he is building. Ignorance is bliss. He is building a 1967 Coronet R/T. It will be almost completely stock with the exception of some mildly upgraded internals. The 67 R/T came with the 440 big block and a 4 barrel carb. By the end of the week, my 05 OBXT will be stage 2 with the Hex mods VB mod, Grimmspeed TMIC, Grimmspeed Up, Invidia Down, and a pro tune. What else do you think I will need to beat him in the 1/4 mile? I'm most likely also going to get JMP's custom 40 also. I would like to keep it daily drivable. I will not race the car ever again after this one race. I would like to put him in his place once and for all, and cherish the memory of his face when his fully restored steel brick is outrun by a grocery getter! I think it is doable. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those things are tanks. Sexy cars and I would do unspeakable things for one but still tanks. If it is going to basically be a stock restoration then you shouldn't have much of an issue. Even though it is a 440 they only make around 400hp, if that. More like 350 IIRC. Being a car from the muscle car era it's going to be almost all steel and heavy as hell.

I'm a big old school muscle car fan also and have restored a few. Cool cars but tanks :lol:

I come from a long heritage of mopar fanatics. Tell me more about his coronet so we can size up the competition. Gears, auto or man. If auto what converter? Cam, compression, intake, carb, headers? All these things make a big difference. A stock 440 with the right gears and converter in a B body is capable up running in the 12s. Probe him a little for info

If he runs in the 12's then I sure am SOL. As for the car, it will have a factory (Holler, I believe) 4 barrel carb, auto trans most likely with a stock converter, factory air cleaner, factor manifolds NOT headers, possibly upgraded racing cams, not sure on compression yet. The car will be mostly stock.

As for weight the coronet is going to be around 3400-3500 on he scales. Our legacys aren't that much lighter

Looks like I cant read. Thought he said charger/challenger which are closer to 4000.

And he said it was going to be almost completely stock so still a tank with sub 400hp

I know I'm going to need a non stock turbo. I've spent mind numbing days and hours reading, searching and researching, and still cant decide!! I'm thinking I want to go with JmP's custom 40 or maybe even his custom 52. Ive researched and read about all of the common upgrades for our lgts, but let me have your opinions of what would help me with this endeavor, and your personal experiences.

If that car is going to be mostly stock, I think you're going to destroy him at stage 2 levels...I'd bet a stage 1 tune would be enough.

Stock Coronet RTs are pretty slow by today's standards and horsepower ratings back then were often just a ballpark figure or arbitrary marketing number before SAE standards were introduced. Keep the stock turbo for now. When you beat him and he upgrades, then you can upgrade.

Even a simple bolt on 440 (intake/exhaust/carb) will put out 380whp and 400ft lbs. You aren't that much lighter either, so you better drive it like you stole it.

You don't "mildly upgrade internals" and not do basic bolt ons as well. I think he is sand bagging you really hard lol.

lol, I'm actually helping him build it, so I get to see what goes in. The engine is not completely built right now, and the only aftermarket parts hes got are some cams and pistons. other than that hes stock. His intake, exhaust and carb will be stock. I'll keep you guys updated.

My 1970 340 Duster 4 speed ran high 12's in the 1/4 back in the late 70's with 8" slicks. The 440 with that many stock parts will be high 13's at best.

My son ran 13.86 at Lebanon Valley NY with my wagon back in its early day's. I drove the Duster for many years. My wagon is as fast if not a slight bit faster now.

I had a buddy back in the day with a built 440 in his 71 Duster, fender well headers, sub-framed, no back seat, roll bar, automatic with a 3000 stall. He was running low 12's. When I took him for a ride in my 4 speed car, he was amazed at the brute force of my car.

What PSI are you at ?

Your 5eat may be the only thing holding you back. But you should be faster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Max Capacity: My father in law and I will be matching up at Lebennon Valley when the time comes. What was installed on your wagon when your son ran 13.86? Where you running a vf40? I would be completely content if my car could run in the 13's. I'm currently on a reman vf40, and struggling with an upgrade choice. Everybody knows why.

Those "B" body's are fairly light considering their size. My buddy had a 70 Coronet with a 10.0-1 440, Mopar purple shaft cam and a single plane intake with an Edlelbrock 750. With a 3.91 rear end, automatic and street tires he ran a best of 13.1 seconds in NH.

With that said (IMHO) a standard trans 300whp Legacy should get the jump and take it all the way to the end. Those 440's like to rev so he may "reel " you in a bit near the end.

Race him heads up :)

Im still not sure what ill need for +or- 300 awh. Im going to get protuned with Hexmods VB mod, Grimmspeed TMIC, catless down, catless up. Ill see where im at with those mods and take it from there. hopefully ill be close, but I'm seeing the majority of people with similar mods putting down 230-240 awh. A mild turbo upgrade might be in order to get me close to 300 based on my research.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure you'll need a bigger snail to get to 300 hp at the wheels. You'll def. want to bulletproof or upgrade your intercooler as well. . . they tend to go all 'splody when you start pushing more than about 16-18psi.

EDIT: nvm. . . you said right up there^^ you're going grimmspeed TMIC. I just wanted to use the word 'splody today.

Archived