LegacyGT.com

Legacy Frontal Area?

I'm considering a Legacy purchase, but it really depends on the aerodynamics.

I've seen Cd specs (est .28-.29) on the Legacy, but I can't find any numbers for frontal area. Does anyone know, or have you measured?

TIA.

Yeah that's weird to base a car purchase heavily on aerodynamics....specifically, drag coeff and frontal area.....who cares? just look at mileage, top speed, or whatever else youre interested in

Scotty, I almost edited, right after my post

EDIT: (fuel economy is not an issue)

Sorry, I didn't. You're right, but I'm not interested in that.

Yeah that's weird to base a car purchase heavily on aerodynamics....specifically, drag coeff and frontal area.....who cares? just look at mileage, top speed, or whatever else youre interested in

Top speed is artificially limited, and mileage is affected by the drivetrain.

Actually the aero number's on a lgt are quite good:)! The cd is as mentioned, and applying the industry std frontal area calculation(H x W) * .85 = 22.8 sq/ft for stock height. If you lower it an inch, it drops a bit to 22.43 sq/ft.

Top speed is artificially limited, and mileage is affected by the drivetrain.

I was just speculating as to why you would care about frontal area, thats all. Why do you want to know anyway?

:lol:

I already have an 04 STi. I went 176mph and change in October on a standing mile. I'm looking for 200mph in a Subaru. I know the STi will work, just checking on the Legacy.

It would be great to see a Legacy at the October Texas Mile. (http://www.texasmile.com) So far, we've mostly had Imprezas of one variety or another. :)

In that case, you would be much, much better served using the Legacy over the Sti. The Impreza aerodynamics are much worse. With similar power you will easily improve on the speed reached within the given mile....

In that case, you would be much, much better served using the Legacy over the Sti. The Impreza aerodynamics are much worse. With similar power you will easily improve on the speed reached within the given mile....

How many mods can you buy for the price of an LGT? I've already learned that nothing is easy at 200mph. ;)

:lol:

I already have an 04 STi. I went 176mph and change in October on a standing mile. I'm looking for 200mph in a Subaru. I know the STi will work, just checking on the Legacy.

It would be great to see a Legacy at the October Texas Mile. (www.texasmile.com) So far, we've mostly had Imprezas of one variety or another. :)

I'm glad you posted that. I hope to make it this year. I thought you were nuts when I read the first post but now it all makes sense :)

I don't think the legacy is a good platform for the standing mile. Its just not made for those speeds. Will 5th or 6th in a legacy even get to 200 without changing the final drive? The hood scoops adds drag and without a spoiler I'd be scared poopless. That said, I would still be proud to see a legacy run at the texas mile.

If you are really serious about aero, I really don't think that subaru has any really good platforms for it. The only good platforms that go 200mph are the ones with base price >$100k

Best of luck, though, and keep us posted.

lol

200 mph in a Legacy :eek: what kind of horsepower will that take? the new ZR1 Corvette is 638 hp and probably better aerodynamics/gearing than a Legacy and it is listed at 205 mph. i can't wait to hear how this turns out need pics and video. good luck and be safe.
Stay Stock Stay Happy

200 mph in a Legacy :eek: what kind of horsepower will that take? the new ZR1 Corvette is 638 hp and probably better aerodynamics/gearing than a Legacy and it is listed at 205 mph. i can't wait to hear how this turns out need pics and video. good luck and be safe.

It all comes down to how much drag you have.

But just check that you have sufficient downforce or you can end up flying instead:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0t5juiDfr8]YouTube - Flying Mercedes CLK CTR at LeMans[/ame]

453747.png

I'm glad you posted that. I hope to make it this year. I thought you were nuts when I read the first post but now it all makes sense :)

I don't think the legacy is a good platform for the standing mile. Its just not made for those speeds. Will 5th or 6th in a legacy even get to 200 without changing the final drive? The hood scoops adds drag and without a spoiler I'd be scared poopless. That said, I would still be proud to see a legacy run at the texas mile.

If you are really serious about aero, I really don't think that subaru has any really good platforms for it. The only good platforms that go 200mph are the ones with base price >$100k

Best of luck, though, and keep us posted.

Now it all makes sense, I am nuts. :lol:

You should come out and run with us. There will be a large Subie contingent in October. It's a blast.

Subarus aren't the best platform for a standing mile, but I'm hooked on them. I had an '02 WRX, and did RallyX with it. Then I bought the STi, and RallyX fell apart in 04. We lost all our locations to development. A guy from Houston invited me to the Mile, and it was just odd enough that I became addicted.

Back when it first started, there were a lot of LSR cars there. The STi was bone stock, running 140mph, and I was pitted next to a big yellow Lakester being pushed by two big blocks and a crazy transmission. I was running against an 02 wagon w/ TXS stg 4, and we were neck and neck. I beat him in the 140 accuracy class by .004mph. We were the little guys, and the only Japanese cars. (pleantly of bikes, mind you) ..and the closest battle of the weekend.

I expected the same attitude we get at the drag strip, but that isn't the way it happened. All the LSR guys kept stopping by, asking what the heck we were driving. (seems the STi hadn't made much of an impact in the domestic world just yet) Instead of razzing us about having rice burners, we were regailed with stories about a guy who turbo'd a 3cyl Geo Metro, and streamliners that ran on weedeater motors. ...and they kept asking when I was going to take off the big 'ol wing. :lol:

I stepped it up each time

stock - 140

stg1 - 141

stg 2 - 147.2 (speed limiter!! I'm one of the reasons Cobb removed it)

street tuner - 149

-wing +lowered - 152 (end of the stock turbo)

GT40R +more lower and -scoop - 170 (28psi)

add WI - 176 (32psi@7300 in 6th)

I still drove it to work for another couple of months, and even did a Subaru Challenge with it. (hint: the GT4088 isn't a good AutoX turbo. ;) )

Just for comparison:

modded 600cc sporbikes: ~165

Stock C6 Z06 - 167-168

Stock Carrera GT - 174

My next target is a stock Hyabusa. ~185 :D

The Vettes and Vipers have a tough time getting to 200mph. They were all hitting 198-199 with the bad winds, and were really upset when an EVO 2 did 202 last year in March. Later that year, the EVO did 215 in the Sandhills standing mile. He's going to be tough to catch up with, but check out the Hot Rod magazine that comes out next month. He won the Hot Rod Top Speed Shootout in Maxton this year. :lol:

I finally blew the stock head gasket @34psi, with over 53K on the clock. Now the 9Krpm motor is being built, and I'm wondering what to put it in. I was considering a Legacy, or maybe an old L. I'll probably stick with the STi till 200, just to see it through. I've got the Cd down to a respectable level.

I do like the Legacy, though. I may have to get one for a daily driver. I've already got a turbo, exhaust, TMIC, and injectors for it, after all. :icon_idea

Above 170 mph the windows don't like to stay in, at least it sure seems that way...................................I speculate.;)

The Impreza doesn't have frames around the windows either. After the door is shut, crack the windows, and put them back up. It will seat better in the window seal. Figured that out at 140, and still no problems here. :)

The Vettes and Vipers have a tough time getting to 200mph. They were all hitting 198-199 with the bad winds, and were really upset when an EVO 2 did 202 last year in March.

Wow, I would have paid good money to see the jaws drop on those guys.

:munch:

200 mph in a Legacy :eek: what kind of horsepower will that take?

That's why I asked about the frontal area. ;)

General rule of thumb for cars is 800-850whp to get to 200mph in the mile. I'm looking to get as close to the 1000 mark as I can.

the new ZR1 Corvette is 638 hp and probably better aerodynamics/gearing than a Legacy and it is listed at 205 mph. i can't wait to hear how this turns out need pics and video. good luck and be safe.

Did you see the video of the ZR1 @ 205? Theres no way it would hit 200 in a mile. I can't imagine how much it would cost to mod one of those for 200mph.

But just check that you have sufficient downforce or you can end up flying instead:

Here's a slightly more relavent video. :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYIjG3se3I]YouTube - RX7 Eats It at 217MPH[/ame]

Archived