LegacyGT.com

Recommendations: Wideband O2

MTBwrench

I'm currently in the process of discussing a break-in map with Dave(Cryo), and he recommended I get a WBO2, so he can see whether A/F ratios are okay under boost etc.(once we get to an actual tune). I e-mailed him asking what he recommends, but he hasn't responded as of yet(rightfully so, it's the weekend after all!).

I'm currently just looking for recommendations, in the meantime. Not sure if I plan on keeping an A/F gauge in the wagon 24/7, so probably just something for logging, but with capability of installing a gauge at a later point in case I want to. I've been pointed to the Innovate LC-2, and AEM UEGO by others...

Input, ideas?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I've been using a LC-2 with no issues for a year and a half. You need to pick up a radio shack cable for a few clams to log with it. I always just use my phone and set my phone mount in front of my vent pod for video.

The brands you mentioned are all worth while. I will say lots of folks recommend steering clear of the Innovate because of sensors going bad. I might be an exception. Mine sits at a 45* angle about 12' back from the turbo. *knock on wood*

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Right now I'm split between two gauges:

1) AEM Failsafe UEGO/boost gauge

2) PLX A/F multi gauge

I really like the visual appearance of the AEM, and the fact that you can wire it to ground something if boost & A/F go out of whack (Maybe I can wire it into my EBCS, to trigger waste gate pressure?), that would be awesome. But, I also like the PLX's ability to run multiple sensors, as I'm only going to have a 2 gauge pod. That means I could run A/F and trans temp on one, and oil temp/press. on the other. I plan on a column mounted, or AVO gauge-podded Defi boost gauge.

However the little red control unit it has looks like it'll be rather cumbersome...

When it comes to logging, I also don't have to hodgepodge a serial cable adapter thingy for the PLX. Another win there!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

I run an AEM Failsafe. You can use the on board logger and look at the boost/AFR points or you willl have to wire the 5 volt out to your TGV volt input to log AFRs(route I went). It doesn't have the serial out so you can log via USB like the UEGO.

I run an AEM Failsafe. You can use the on board logger and look at the boost/AFR points or you willl have to wire the 5 volt out to your TGV volt input to log AFRs(route I went). It doesn't have the serial out so you can log via USB like the UEGO.

Care to elaborate? I'm confused... What do the TGV volt inputs have to do with logging?

Ultimately, I'm looking for something easily compatible with Accesstuner Race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Care to elaborate? I'm confused... What do the TGV volt inputs have to do with logging?

Ultimately, I'm looking for something easily compatible with Accesstuner Race.

If you have TGV deletes, you can run your 5 volt output to the TGV input. You can then log the TGV voltage via the AP and then convert that voltage to AFR in excel. It will only work if you have TGV deletes and is a bit more to set up but you wont have to mess with an additional USB input.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6430

If you have TGV deletes, you can run your 5 volt output to the TGV input. You can then log the TGV voltage via the AP and then convert that voltage to AFR in excel. It will only work if you have TGV deletes and is a bit more to set up but you wont have to mess with an additional USB input.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6430

Thats a pretty ingenious idea! Thanks for the link, I'm actually doing TGV deletes, so that would totally work.

I ultimately pulled the trigger and got the PLX with DM-6 for a few reasons:

1) seems to be the easiest to log with, with a simple cable, and no serial wire hacking...

2) I can install multiple gauges into one display, optimizing my cubby pods usefulness.

3) my inner techie just couldn't resist :)

On a side note: COBB actually doesn't directly support the AEM failsafe, only the Digital UEGO. I could do the whole TGV wiring thing(and may at a later point), but in the grand scheme of things I want to make this as simple as possible.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The TGV volt input is just helps cut down on extra wires. I can log AFR all the time with just the AP or with the OP2.0 without anything else. If my OBD2 is plugged in, I can log AFR. Pretty crucial if you have a modified car of any stage.

The TGV volt input is just helps cut down on extra wires. I can log AFR all the time with just the AP or with the OP2.0 without anything else. If my OBD2 is plugged in, I can log AFR. Pretty crucial if you have a modified car of any stage.

I totally agree, I would't be tuning anything unless I had access to some type of wideband A/F reading. And wiring into the TGV output is ingenious. I plan on having a dedicated A/F gauge in the wagon, so I can use the AP live gauges for other data.

In the end, I ended up getting the PLX because of the ease of logging, I can wire a 2.5mm(I think?) jack into the front of my Cubby pod, and simply use that as a line out into my laptop for logging. No high serial cables to worry about, and no Excel spreadsheet conversion or modifications to deal with. It seemed the most "plug and play" out of all my options. I also love that the PLX can be daisy chained to multiple sensor modules, to switch between multiple digital gauges, which is great given I want to have the interior look as clean as possible, and there's already limited space for gauges anyways. My ultimate plan is as follows:

-Defi 52mm boost gauge mounted cleanly on column (or a 60mm that cool AVO dash pod)

-PLX DM6 with WBO2, oil temp, trans temp in cubby pod

- Defi 52mm oil pressure in cubby pod

Then, I'll be able to monitor all the vitals without always needing the AP connected.

Update:

I got the PLX wideband installed yesterday. It looks fantastic, and functions just as well. The capacitive touch and graphing functions are pretty nice, and the ease of data logging is fantastic as well.Currently running as a voltmeter because the COBB down pipe isn't in yet, but here it is:

18003238776_dff7e8e89d_z.jpgPLX WBO2 in cubbypod by Cenzo Reyes, on Flickr

My only gripe is the red "control box" they come with, and the rather basic connections they use(i.e.- a 3.5mm headphone jack for display signal) become rather cumbersome in such a small space. I ended up having to mount the control box onto the steel crossmember behind the dash. I would much rather a deeper gauge that is a self contained unit. Especially since about half of the height of that little red box is just wasted space above the circuit board.

If I could piggy back here...I dont have TGV deletes and dont want a permanent gauge. I am using Cryo & Romraider and am having problems with the LC-1. Is the LC-2 the best idea for what I have/want or is one of the others better?

If I could piggy back here...I dont have TGV deletes and dont want a permanent gauge. I am using Cryo & Romraider and am having problems with the LC-1. Is the LC-2 the best idea for what I have/want or is one of the others better?

Do you have it wired really well? I heard of people having issues with the LC controllers when the wiring was anything less than perfect, especially the ground connections.

Yes sir. Double & triple checked. Besides it was working well previously and started acting up right in the middle of a log run.

Hmm, well, maybe someone else more experienced can chime in? It seems like you've either got a bad sensor/control unit. How many miles have you put on it?

Also, if you DO change your WBO2 setup, I would totally recommend getting something with an O2 sensor that does;t require free air calibration... because that just sucks.

Archived