LegacyGT.com

new guy with ?'s

i just bought my first subaru and theres a few things wrong with it.

1-CEL goes on and off...i scanned it and got code 0325-knock sensor.

2-sunroof doesnt open. open pops up. when pressing the button you can hear the motor run but it doesnt move.

3-rear diff leaks

4-it makes 2 different types of whistling sounds on hard accel.

it has 150k miles on it. what are possible reasons for the CEL to come on and then go out? how can i get the sunroof to function properly? can i get a gasket for the rear diff or do i have to use rtv?

not asking about the exhaust until i throw it on a lift and better inspect it.

also i want to do a tune up, what plugs and wires are you guys using? i usually use bosch plat+2.

thanks in advance

do search under knock sensor, you'll find location etc. a simple replace job.

can't help with sunroof, haven't been there yet with issues.

where is diff leaking from?

hope this at least gets you started

O.

btw welcome

Never heard of it leaking from around the cover. If for some reason someone else removed the cover and did not reassemble corectly, its possible.

Clean the outside with brake cleaner and make sure that oil is not coming from somewhere else. BTW is it auto or manual?

From what I've read Suby's don't seem to like Bosch. NGK or similar.

O.

I have seen a few leak from the cover. You have to undo the bolts on the cradle where the rear sub-frame bolts to the rear differential cover. Also make sure you have something to support the diff.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Ok....the moon roof. I have had an issue in the past after buying my 98. some people will load heavy weights on their roofs when traveling etc. Sometimes that weight will push on the roof and thus push down ever so slightly. when you try to open the moonroof you might have to play with it at first. open close open close etc. that is what I had to do.

I found that the roof is pushing on the moon roof ever so slightly and basicly blocking it from going on the tracks.

As for the sounds on the hard acceleration. I have definatly had that! Most likly there is a leak in your airbox where your filter is. On my older legacy there was a crack on on box where after 3,5k+rpms, it would sound like a Supercharger. sounded great (very ricy though)....didnt help with anything.

the moonroof starting working on its own. im guessing it was just from lack use. i used to tap on the roof while holding the button and it would open and now i dont have to.

the noise is from a leaking exhaust, i pulled into a parking garage between to full size vans and heard it well enough to figure it out. currently looking for stock noncracked manifold(dont have $400-$500 for borla).

i havent had a chance to spray the diff clean yet to verify that it is in fact the cover.

next thing i need to check is the clicking coming from the d.side front under acceleration. not set on it being an axle because it doesnt make a peep when turning and not stepping on the gas. only makes noise when starting from a dead stop of entering highway. probably balljoints and/or sway bar links and bushings.

also my car is auto and it recently started to shut off for no reason. key stays in on position and no CEL(scanned again and it is knock sensor so im going to replace it, and the light comes and goes, not always on). it always starts right up but im not liking it. not fun driving in the fast lane of the highway and your car stalls. i have noticed that when it stalls while sitting at a light it will start running rough, like a misfire. any one else have this or hear of it and have an idea of possible reasons?

thank you to everyone! i greatly appreciate it!

Archived