LegacyGT.com

Calipers / Brakes sticking

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out!

I'm a new 05' LGT owner. It seems that every day, when I go to move my LGT, there are cracking and resistance in the wheels, until it 'overcomes the barrier and it drives fine'. I've been told its probably the Calipers sticking to the rotars. I can almost see 'rust' marks on the calipers, through the rims. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this problem or has any idea how to fix it? It's been happening for weeks now, and one time I couldn't even move my car. I had a friend take off the back wheel and unstick it with a hammer.

Let me know!

Thanks for reading!:)

It's not really a problem of the calipers sticking to the rotors but its the parking brake pads sticking to the rotors.

It's a pretty normal issue. If it happens daily for you... maybe you should have your parking brakes checked out.

Here are a few different threads explaining and discussing the problem.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53837&highlight=parking+brake+stuck

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39082&highlight=parking+brake+stuck

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102675&highlight=parking+brake+stuck

You probably have floating calipers. Check that they float as they should on the pins. I had to replace my front discs because the calipers had stuck on the pins.

Check the back side of the discs - if the wear is different there compared to the outside it's likely that you have calipers that has stuck on the pins.

Remedy - remove each caliper, clean and lubricate the pins with heat-resistant grease.

There are of course also other possible problems, like bad wheel bearings and stuck caliper pistons.

Another issue with calipers sticking to the pins is that it will increase the load on the wheel bearings.

453747.png

• 4 weeks later...
listen here its not rust take your back wheels off and look my front brakes are sticking when i put it in drive it goes no where i have to hit the gas to go i believe it a malfunction in the abs pump but not sure i heard squeking i thought i needed new brakes but i got my front ones off and they where fine just glossed over i put new ones on and thats when i noticed that they were sticking bad i pumped my calipers out and thoes are not frozen but there not recessesing and my abs is malfuntioning

listen here its not rust take your back wheels off and look my front brakes are sticking when i put it in drive it goes no where i have to hit the gas to go i believe it a malfunction in the abs pump but not sure i heard squeking i thought i needed new brakes but i got my front ones off and they where fine just glossed over i put new ones on and thats when i noticed that they were sticking bad i pumped my calipers out and thoes are not frozen but there not recessesing and my abs is malfuntioning

WHAT?? :spin:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever have an issue where it seems as though the calipers are sticking intermittently when hitting highway speeds? I know its a long shot, but I'm *completely* baffled as to why this is happening.

Scenario:

Very seldom, after hitting highway speeds, I get the "warped rotor shimmy". After either pulling off to the shoulder and pumping my brakes once or twice, or even just after pumping my brakes a bit at highway speeds, the problem goes away.

What I've done so far:

Taken it into the dealer for them to tell me they can't find anything wrong - not ABS, calipers are sliding freely, pins have fresh sil-glide - and still charged me $100 for diagnosis. I was hoping they would find something (under warranty) but no such luck.

I've decided to start eliminating the logical possibilities by replacing my front calipers. Any thoughts? Does anyone have a set of good calipers for an '05 Leggy LTD they are willing to part with?

Thx!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a BAD problem with the brakes activating on their own.

Car would actually come to a stop.

Subaru was baffled and recommended that I replace everything in the entire car.

NO JOKE.

a

It was going to cost about 3k.

They flushed the fluid thinking that would fix it but then after a 15 mile road test they told me I had to replace EVERYTHING.

I said NO! Took the car home and everything worked fine.

Car no longer stops by itself.

FLUSH the brake FLUID!!!!

My rear parking brakes constantly locked up a while back.

I mean every morning when it was freezing cold outside.

It eventually pissed me off so much, I had to take it all apart and see what was wrong.

See below.

One of my adjusters was installed backwards.

Way to go Subaru!

After replacing everything CORRECTLY, no problem since.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6690/59756634.jpg

Archived