LegacyGT.com

Front Wheel Bearing -- DIY Walkthrough

• I Donated
Im not sure if your 05 is like the 08 but the bolt number is 28365FE001.

My only question so far ( I have the replacement hub and 4 bolts on my workbench) is how do the bolts actually get removed? They are flat on the back and I dont see how they are unscrewed...

http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minkara/parts/000/002/814/072/2814072/p1.jpg?ct=c089b6ad8a1d

Please be joking. these are the wheel studs, not the bolts for the back of the hub.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortnately I am not joking... It looks like I misread the parts diagram (see below)...

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495128001.png

So WTH is the part number for those?

Edited by theflystyle

Looks like you bought number 6 and the part you were trying to buy should be numbered 1 or 2 depending on the year but you can probably just reuse the bolts you remove.

Not sure if this is your problem or not but on supposed forces sometimes the part number is not listed for every part that is numbered in the diagram sometimes you can find it on the previous or following page but not always sometimes frustrating with opposed forces but all in all very good site for referencing part numbers

I was surprised how good mine looked when I removed them. Yours should be fine.

Use PB Blaster before you remove them and anti-size compound when you put them back in.

Those bolts are the eay part. the hard part is getting the backing plate and old hub out. So much rust, let the PB do its work while you have lunch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
I'm in need of these bolts and cannot get the part number from any subaru website. It's Sunday so grizzly and grainger are closed. Maybe I'll got up to junk yard and look or just run a chaser over it till I get a replacement. So frustrating!!

• 3 weeks later...
Axle. I used a subaru hub/ bearing. Ended up needing to get a new dust sheild and steering knuckle also because the old hub was totally frozen in the knuckle. No amount of hammering, penetrating oil, or torch heat was budging it.

Yeah I had a hell of a time removing the bearing hub off the knuckle. Hammered the shit out of it, oiled etc...

What ended up working was using a long extension pressed up on the back of the hub, turn the steering wheel so the extension sat on a solid part of the car, turn the steering wheel AND pry the hell out of it at the same time. Canadian winter driven car and it finally gave way using that method. Was a PITA.

Axle. I used a subaru hub/ bearing. Ended up needing to get a new dust sheild and steering knuckle also because the old hub was totally frozen in the knuckle. No amount of hammering, penetrating oil, or torch heat was budging it.

Yeah I had a hell of a time removing the bearing hub off the knuckle. Hammered the shit out of it, oiled etc...

What ended up working was using a long extension pressed up on the back of the hub, turn the steering wheel so the extension sat on a solid part of the car, turn the steering wheel AND pry the hell out of it at the same time. Canadian winter driven car and it finally gave way using that method. Was a PITA.

I attempted to do it the same way with a hammer and all. Then realize I lived in a salt filled area and nothing comes off without a certain tool for it.

Not sure if you guys tried this at all but this is actually what you should have used.

http://www.oem-tools.com/upload/products_images/27037.jpg

It scared me since it went pretty far into the axle, but finally broke it free. The new one slid on extremely easy.

I don't think the tool pictured is for getting the hub out of the steering knuckle. That look likes it would work for getting the axle out of the bearing/hub. Edited by itzed

Wow SBT you know your stuff. I'd like both if you could please, cuz im collecting front bspec parts and plan on doing rears aswell.

So my next question for you then is; when i install my front aluminum parts, what bolts are different??

Thanks again dude.

P/N 901000174 - Rear Hub Assembly Flange Bolt (2009 OBXT)

P/N 901000285 - Rear Hub Assembly Flange Bolt (2007-2009 LGT Spec B)

These are all found here

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't think the tool pictured is for getting the bearing out of the hub. That look likes it would work for getting the axle out of the bearing.

From my knowledge these are just hub/bearing assemblies. Why are you trying to just change bearings?

You originally stated that you couldnt get the hub off.... I'd have used that first, then when broken free that way, I would have used a mini sludge on the back side of the hub and beat it on both sides to go back and forth till it broke free from the knuckle. (is what I did.)

Edited by Yamba6

Just replaced my right front assembly with a replacement from detroit axle.

The only problem I ran into was a frozen lower caliper bracket bolt. After being unable to free the bolt, I ordered a bracket, bolt and axle nut from a dealership.

For bracket: 26225AG060

The hub assembly came out easier than I thought it would. I used the flip the rotor on backward and beat with hammer method. I whizzed the axle nut off with my harbor freight impact wrench.

Here's hoping the Detroit Axle part lasts as long as oem or other aftermarket. Can't say I'm too optimistic after seeing made in China. Amazon 65 for pair of fronts though.

I found these posts helpful for torque specs.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3905559&postcount=2

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4673758&postcount=2