LegacyGT.com

Issues after clutch install

StoplightAssassin

I put in a Spec Stg 2+ clutch last week. It seemed like I could not get it to bleed correctly. Before this clutch, I had a Spec Stg 2 clutch, and the pedal effort is a lot less now.

Last night after breaking everything down (FML) and verifying with my mechanic buddy I installed everything correctly with no damage, we discovered a tiny leak on the slave.

So, the leaking slave is probably the reason for the mushy pedal and difficulty the car has going into gear. The main reason we took it all apart is because when the clutch is engaged and I give it a bit of gas with just a light load, I was getting this terrible whirring sound around 3k rpm from the engine bay. It made me concerned the clutch disk might be slipping. The clutch components all looked fine. Trans snout and fork are fine.

I'm wondering if this leaking slave can be the indirect cause of the noise. The only thing I can think of is that the new TOB is lightly riding the pressure plate diaphragm springs.

Any ideas? Rao? :lol:

Yes it does suck breaking it down twice. lol

The slave had just a small wet area between the boot and the piston housing. It was pretty easy to overlook.

My main reason for breaking it down again was b/c I was getting a bad whirring noise with a light load around 3k rpm (clutch engaged). I figured something was wrong with the install, like the disc was backwards and slipping or I bent something going back in.

Knowing what we know now about the leaky slave, would that cause the TOB to ride the pressure plate springs?

I realize the leaky slave wouldn't have enough pressure to fully disengage the clutch, but I can't figure out why that would cause the TOB to ride the PP with the clutch engaged...if that's the source of the noise. The fork spring looked normal.

I'm not sure if anybody is reading this but just to document.

I was going to reinstall everything yesterday and I noticed wear on the insides of the PP diaphragm springs. That shouldn't happen at all.

I just got off the phone with Spec and indeed my clutch disc was mislabeled. The correct orientation of the clutch disc is the sprung side of the disc (the part that sticks out) faces the flywheel. The flat part faces the trans.

I'm not ready to write them off yet. Shit happens but as long as they take care of it I'm cool. I got 40k miles out of my Spec Stg 2 clutch and I'm happy with that, considering I autox once or twice a month.

I talked to Jeremy @ Spec today and I sent him pictures of the mislabeled parts and the wear. So we'll see what happens.

Archived