LegacyGT.com

HID Retro Folks - What to do at Inspection Time?

tobey457

I'm about to start my RX330 retro project and I'm just curious what are people doing about their inspection sticker when having a D2S / retro setup?

Are there any halogen bulbs that can be easily modified to fit the D2S housing that I can slip in at inspection time? Any other solutions out there?

I can always find a slimeball station that will give me a sticker, but I already have illegal tint on my front windows (50%, but I'm not supposed to have tint on the front two windows in NH) so I'd rather not walk in with 2 immediate violations.

Insight is much appreciated.

I'm a little confused you get in trouble in NH for having a modified headlight?

If so that's jacked up!

It's like that in some states. It's still a halogen housing with a working HID setup in it so someone could call it unsafe to fellow drivers.

Do they have paper work/do research if your car has factory HIDs?

If not if you do a really clean install (use oem wiring paths vs drilling the cap) then they cant tell if its aftermarket/oem. You already have the projector convex thing in the headlight so it looks like it can have oem HIDs, fill in the squirrel finders for less glare

I do not know how they do the inspection but...just in idea... (I have a plug and play kit)

I took off my bumper & headlights out and saw how I can route my HID wires/ballast under the headlight housing using the oem wire path from the headlight and you cant tell its aftermarket buy looking into the engine bay

I do love clean installs:wub:

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

When install is done it will look 100% OEM, won't see the ballasts, all the wiring will be tied, cut to length, and run with factory wires. I do everything the right way, which is why it generally takes me 3X longer than anyone else :lol:

They will do a visual inspection, looking for non-OEM equipment. They have every right to fail me if they know the lights aren't OEM. Chances of that are slim, but if they do fail me, then I have to go back to the same place with the problem corrected before I can get the sticker. Can't just go to another shop who will overlook the previous failure.

I'm wondering if I could just modify the base of a halogen bulb to fit into the D2S socket, just to pass it through the inspection station. Drive home, switch them back. Done.

I'd go in with the HID's and hope for the best, but I'd like to have a backup plan just in case.

i'm sure you could rebase something to sit in there for physical appearance's sake; but i imagine any halogen you tried to use would have a radically different focal point/skew the pattern pretty fiercely (not sure if they check your aim).

Some food for thought: to the OP, is your car stock or modded in any way? If you have any mods done and they don't break stones on that, then I wouldn't worry about a set of HID's. If they've given some grief about anything in the past, then what to do might be something to consider. Otherwise, out of mind.

Archived