LegacyGT.com

Car starter

Wife has dropped the "hint" that a car starter for x-mas would be a nice idea.

Went to a very respectable Car Audio shop in town (one of the few places I would trust with my car) and they gave me some quotes for a Viper and for a Compustar (had one when they came out in 99. VERY nice units). Price is up there for sure. But I loose some of my alarm features due to the module they have to install to get the after-market starters to work. Something about using the valet key in the module under the dash.

Anyway the factory starter sounds like a option now. Anyone have one? Anyone put in their own? Does the factory car security system suffer at all?

(I am a controls guy so wires dont bother me the least. I would feel more than comfortable re-wiring an entire car. The install is not a issue at all)

Is the OEM starter just a plug in modual? the install time the Canadian website states is 1 hour. Cant be too tough. I think they get a hour to install floor mats.

The factory remote start is all plug and play (automatic trans only), You can install it but you will not be able to use it because you need to have it interface box synced with vehicles immobilizer system, this can only be done at a subaru dealer.

don't let an audio shop hack up your car for a starter. Spend the extra few $$ and let the dealer do it with OEM parts. It will be cleaner, and if fro some strange reason the car bursts into flames, you're covered.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Bite the bullet and get a Compustar alarm and starter combo, which will control the whole car.

Get rid of that OEM alarm.

My Compustar alarm starter 2-way special has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now. It's all in the install. Thankfully I'm in the business and got a very proficient installer to do it for cheap.

I had the Compustar back when they came out. 99 I believe it was. That was a really REALLY nice alarm starter. The two way feature is the best. Everyone that has a starter will peek through a window to see if it started or wander outside just to see if they can hear it or some other thing. With the 2 way its ideal because it calls you back when it has performed your function. Also the notice on the keypad of any type of alarm status when you get back to the car is nice. I caught a guy that dented my truck. He parked beside me and I just waited for him. I never would have known about the dent unless the Compustar had alerted me that a shock sensor went off.

Only problem is that its $$$$. The quote I got for the Viper was $450 CDN and the Compustar was $600. Thats a little rich for me right now. Hell the $500 for the OEM is a little rich. I dont think that we will be going for either option for the time being. Single income with two kids and stay at home mom does not lend to "luxury" spending in the half a G range very often.

Thanks for the info although.

Archived