LegacyGT.com

Pop goes the windshied

Well on my way to work this afternoon I was following a pickup truck that slightly drifted onto the berm instantly throwing rocks. Before I could move far enough out of the way a moderately sized rock decided to smash into the lower left corner of the windshield and left a nice circular crack (slightly smaller than a dime). I’ll probably get it patched tomorrow at SafeLite and will try to get pictures of the before and after.

had a similar thing happen to me... didn't find the crack though, until i woke up the next day, and found the crack had spread overnight almost across the whole windshield. This was about a month after the 2005 ob's and legacys showed up in dealers, so it was a PITA to find a replacement one. It was pretty pricey too, i guess because of the heating elements at the bottom for the wipers. Anyway, just get it patched asap... i've had other windshield cracks in other cars, but none that spread this quickly

had a similar thing happen to me... didn't find the crack though, until i woke up the next day, and found the crack had spread overnight almost across the whole windshield. This was about a month after the 2005 ob's and legacys showed up in dealers, so it was a PITA to find a replacement one. It was pretty pricey too, i guess because of the heating elements at the bottom for the wipers. Anyway, just get it patched asap... i've had other windshield cracks in other cars, but none that spread this quickly

Ditto! Got up one morning and the windshield was cracked from side to side and it took a month to get a replacement windshield. The good news is that my dealer replaced it free of charge because the impact point was too small for me to see and get repaired.

These windshields are VERY fragile. Now every time I hear an impact, I go over the windshield with a magnifying glass to make sure there are no dents.

i know rock chips don't cost much to fix, .. but most insurance companies will cover the work. i have mercury, and while i don't think they would replace the windshield without the deductable, they do cover the cost of the rock chip repairs.

I am going to have to wait until after the holiday weekend to get it fixed, but it is supposed to stay above freezing so i should be safe.

I am not going to worry about calling the insurance company about this one. Last time i had a rock chip fixed, it cost me about $50 to seal it.

If 18 wheelers require mudflaps, vehicles that expose more than 40% of their wheel should also require mudflups. It's dangerous when a big ass rock hits the windshield and usually by some dumb ass driver who's driving on the shit on the shoulder.

You guys are scaring me with this fragile windshield talk.

I've never had a windshield crack on me, although it came real close to happening once in my last car.

I came up behind a dump truck on the highway, we were both exiting, and this HUGE piece of gravel rock fell off the top of its load, landed on the street in front of me, and fragmented. I watched in slow motion as two sizable (nickle-to-quarter) chunks bounced up off the road and collided with my windshield. There was no chance to swerve because it was during rush-hour and the lanes were pretty much bumper-to-bumper.

The largest piece visibly chipped a piece of glass off the surface of the windshield, but it did not go very deep or spider. I was amazed at this, but chalked it up to the fact that a Trans Am's windshield is very slanted.

From what you guys are saying, I'm going to avoid dump trucks or other construction vehicles like the plague in the Legacy. It sounds like I would have bought a new windshield that day had I been in it at the time.

Yep,

This winter I have had 3 "stars", one that popped and has gone 1/2 the length of the window on the drivers side. One good thing about MA insurance, there is no deductible on glass. Our windows are so damn thin. I asked the glass company if there was someone else at there that made a thicker glass for our cars; no such luck.

BTW; our glass runs about $700, because it has the windshield wiper heater inside them.

BTW; our glass runs about $700, because it has the windshield wiper heater inside them.

I dunno why, but EliteAutoGlass wanted about $500 if it's paid by insurance, but about $300 if paid by me... I cannot remember the exact quotes but I do remember insurance > out-of-pocket. The Forester also has heated windshield, btw.

This Space For Rent

mine cracked the day after a bad snow storm. I moved the cars to clean the driveway and I put the defroster on high. After I cleaned the driveway I went back and had a 18" crack that wasn't there before. Getting it replaced next week.

Did you ask if that was the stock window?? $300 is not bad at all for a window.

I dunno why, but EliteAutoGlass wanted about $500 if it's paid by insurance, but about $300 if paid by me... I cannot remember the exact quotes but I do remember insurance > out-of-pocket. The Forester also has heated windshield, btw.

Archived