LegacyGT.com

Engine rebuild NO SPARK

Okay. So like the title says. I have been procrastinating with this project a bit, but now that its finally done and motor is back in the car, lets start it up. Ran before it came out figured it would run when I put it back it... :confused: nope. Now I have gone threw everything new on this engine so far. I have put in new spark plugs (gapped correctly) , new spark plug wires, new crank and cam sensor, new grounds, checked starter, rechecked grounds, pulled all fuses, rechecked all fuses, battery has juice, timing is spot on, all harnesses are connected no wires came loose, coil pack is brand new, I'm getting fuel pressure. You name it, I've done it. So why am I not getting spark....:iam: I'm just going to sit back and wait for feedback before I take my sledgehammer to the motor :coffee:

I have a friend that just did an STi conversion to his 06 LGT and he has the same problem. He installed everything (we finally figured out all of the vacuum lines and the wiring harness) but he has no spark either.

Subscribed to this thread to find out so I can forward to him as well. If it's something simple, that would be great. If not, man......that sucks...LOL.

It's me he's referring to. I'm a bit concerned its ECU related. I was thinking immobilizer but after reading in the manual it sounds as though it woul allow the engine to start and then kick the fuel pump off.

Ill keep you updated if I have any significant progress with the as well but I too have lost a great deal of motivation and I'm considering just taking it to a tuner shop locally...

Did you paint the block or any matting surfaces.

You need to have "no paint" on the surface where parts meet. It could be a ground path.

Cost me $200 to learn that lesson once on a Honda.

The ECU ground was attached to the T'stat housing that I painted while the engine was apart.

When the mechanic moved the ground wire, the car fired right up.

When I did my shortblock last year, I made I didn't mess with anything that didn't have to come apart. I put new plugs in the rebuilt heads, plugged all the connector back in, the car fired up like it does every day.

You missed something simple.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey sorry guys I've been working on my integra. So it became my daily for now. I actually went to a subaru service center and the guy that I talked to was saying it could be an ECM problem. He saying to retrace wiring into the ECM. I will do that later tonight after I eat.

Did you paint the block or any matting surfaces.

You need to have "no paint" on the surface where parts meet. It could be a ground path.

Cost me $200 to learn that lesson once on a Honda.

The ECU ground was attached to the T'stat housing that I painted while the engine was apart.

When the mechanic moved the ground wire, the car fired right up.

When I did my shortblock last year, I made I didn't mess with anything that didn't have to come apart. I put new plugs in the rebuilt heads, plugged all the connector back in, the car fired up like it does every day.

You missed something simple.

No paint. If its not needed I leave it alone.

wow - no codes. figured if something was disconnected it would show up here.

No voltage to coils? Maybe check fuse SBF-7 in the engine compartment.

Also there should be a large connector somewhere that (among other things) has the voltage supply to the coil. I know you checked connectors... but something is still wrong, maybe this one got missed somehow?

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

wow - no codes. figured if something was disconnected it would show up here.

No voltage to coils? Maybe check fuse SBF-7 in the engine compartment.

Also there should be a large connector somewhere that (among other things) has the voltage supply to the coil. I know you checked connectors... but something is still wrong, maybe this one got missed somehow?

I said the same thing. I'm working on it today before I have work will try to chime in if I throw codes.

Thanks for the diagrams I was looking for this a while ago. This will most definitely help.:spin:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Do you have those yet ?

The GT's start around page 1600 in the 05 book, check out around page 5060 too for diagrams

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

cool. but still no codes? can u log while you're cranking and post it up here maybe?
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

cool. but still no codes? can u log while you're cranking and post it up here maybe?

My cruise control is now flashing so I know I'm throwing codes now. Problem is my code scanner i left at my other House chez of another project. I get codes tomorrow before I go to work

Only three things it would be, Fuel, Spark or Air.

And I presume that the "getting fuel to the injectors" is during the "crank" and not just a static "check" of the bleed valve

WRT Spark, again, is the output reading you're getting during cranking, or just a static check?

Air - possible that the connector came off the pedal (DBW) and it's not reading the pedal. (long shot and it should throw a code)

Crank position sensor would definitely not let it fire, especially if the ring was taken off and put on backwards.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My cruise control is now flashing so I know I'm throwing codes now. Problem is my code scanner i left at my other House chez of another project. I get codes tomorrow before I go to work

You could also use the built in code reader :)

Only three things it would be, Fuel, Spark or Air.

And I presume that the "getting fuel to the injectors" is during the "crank" and not just a static "check" of the bleed valve

WRT Spark, again, is the output reading you're getting during cranking, or just a static check?

Air - possible that the connector came off the pedal (DBW) and it's not reading the pedal. (long shot and it should throw a code)

Crank position sensor would definitely not let it fire, especially if the ring was taken off and put on backwards.

Just a few questions. How do I do a static check? I've uses my multimeter to everything and I'm going nuts.

And the crank position sensor is new but what ring are you talking about if you don't mind explaining a bit more?

By static I mean checking the fuel pump/injectors and coil packs without cranking. They can ohm-out fine, but if they're not getting the signal to pump or fire, during cranking, then it's not going to start. I was referring to the crank ring on the crank pulley and I didn't mean to say put-on backwards, as in upside down or flipped-over, but 180 degrees out of sequence.

Does the ECU check-out okay? Think Nils provided wiring diagrams for everything above. If everything is okay, then, there must be a connector that's not completely connected somewhere.

Edited by SBT
spelling
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Going to make this short and sweet cuz I'm going to work early.

Checked timing... :eek: way off. How that happened dont know cuz now its perfect.

I had the original crank sprocket from a Jdm engine on there and it didnt look anything like a usdm sprocket so I put the usdm one on.

Jdm: like six points on the edge

Usdm: like 10000 points :lol: and 3 flat spots will get you pictures later

So hopefully that fixes it. But I have to go into work. Will try when I get home tonight.

Keep your fingers crossed:cool: