LegacyGT.com

Proxes 4's in snow

BoxerGT2.5

As winter is winding down in Chicago (hopefully). I got impatient and put back on my Volks w/Proxes 4's. One reason was because I wanted to check clearance of the wheels with the Swift springs installed. I had installed the springs when my winter tires were on.

Note...my winter tires are mounted on the stock rims and are Nokian WR's.

Obviously, the WR's handle great and I could never get the ABS to kick in to with hard braking. The Proxes 4's I had the chance to test in the snow yesterday. It was not deep snow here as we got less than an inch, but still slick nonetheless. I was surprised on how well the Toyo's did. They held very well in the turns and not once did I feel the car was on the brink of loosing control. I will say that I was easily able to get the ABS to kick in. So for those of you who have complained about the ABS (with RE92's), there is definetly some relation to the tires you have on the car and their ability to grip the ground.

All in all, for those of you who don't get a ton of snow and are looking for a "All-season" performance tire, the Toyo's were very capable in my opinion.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Thanks for reconfirming for me that the Proxes4 are a good buy. I have been recommending them for a long time now.. I also got word back from my co-worker about the Kumho ASXs.. and he wasnt pleased with his results (he said his Michelin MXMs OEM tires were better by far). So in the comparison from ASXs and the 4s, I will stand firm behind the Toyos.

Keefe

Keefe

i've had proxes 4 right from the start, and i live in north jersey, so we get hit pretty hard (past few days) the ties perform great! people have to keep in mind that despite the fact that our cars are awd and have these proxes (or whatever other performance tire u have), its still sedan. but driving was very satisfactory. i would def buy proxes4 again.

I will second the opinion that Kumho ASX are NOT very good in the snow (about the same as RE92a's). Proxes 4's will replace them for next season if I don't get real snow tires.

Proxes 4 are awesome tires. I love mine. Good grip and predictable responses in cold, dry and wet conditions.

That said, for true snow traction, get snows. If you understand the limitations of the Proxes 4's in the snow, you'll be fine. Realize that traction will be greatly diminished and all will be well.

They'll get you home, for sure.

Snows will simply have much higher limits and allow you to drive more aggressively.

I'll probably get a set of Dunlop M3's in the fall.

its my understanding that the toyo proxes 4 and pirelli nero m+s are two of the best all seasons around (correct me if i'm wrong). i would glady use proxes over and over again, but are the nero's worth giving a try the next time around? do they offer any ad/disadvantages?

A guy with the username "Lemming" has 2 LGTs, one for him, one for his wife.

He has Neros on one car, Proxes on the other. Says the Neros are a tad better in the snow and he likes them a little more.

But for me, right now I'm not dissatisfied with the Proxes at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, where did you guys with Proxes 4's get them? I called my local STS tire, and they quoted me $150/tire not including taxes and mount&balance. Seemed a little high to me, but then again, I'm new to this 17" tire situation. I saw the same thing at Edge Racing for $88/ea. Anybody done business with them?

Thx,

Dan

Out of curiosity, where did you guys with Proxes 4's get them? I called my local STS tire, and they quoted me $150/tire not including taxes and mount&balance. Seemed a little high to me, but then again, I'm new to this 17" tire situation. I saw the same thing at Edge Racing for $88/ea. Anybody done business with them?

Thx,

Dan

Got them with my rims from wheelboutique. Check http://www.1010tires.com they have the for $114 215/45/17

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I went to treadepot.com and edgeracing.com

Was going to go with edge, but their site was fubar when I wanted to order.

So I got them from treadepot. Price was only a tad more and they arrived pretty quick, so I was satisfied with them.

I've heard a lot of negative talk lately about wheelboutique, so I wasn't going to go there. It looks like tireswap and treadepot have the low price along with edgeracing. I was going to get some all out snows, but honestly, most of my driving in the winter is on major highways at speed, so I'm comfortable with an all-season. Rims and summer tires will come a little later on when the pot-hole situation (hopefully) gets under control. I couldn't imagine having 18's the way the roads have been around here. I already destroyed one RE-92 (not sure how the rim survived), so I'll not be anxious to do that again.

Thx again for all of the feedback! Sorry for hijacking the original thread.

- Dan

Proxes 4 are awesome tires. I love mine. Good grip and predictable responses in cold, dry and wet conditions.

That said, for true snow traction, get snows. If you understand the limitations of the Proxes 4's in the snow, you'll be fine. Realize that traction will be greatly diminished and all will be well.

I'd 2nd this. I've had Proxes 4's since day 1 and they've been great -- wet sticks like dry -- and snow, well, they're all-season tires, meaning (as racerdave said) take it easy, you'll be fine. Not that you need to baby it, but they're not a dedicated snow nor do they act like one... I'd get them again, although I'll probably look at the Nokians next time too. An all season w/ true snow capability sounds rather nice...

Short answer, from what I've read on this board, seems like you really can't go wrong w/ either the Proxes 4's or Nero M&S's...

this past winter was top 5 in terms of snow in New England. got to drive both sets of tires (proxes 4 & Pzero M&S) in each snowstorm. there is no question in my mind that the Pzeros have better snow grip.

the proxes 4 are sufficient and can get you through some things, but they don't bite as well as the Pirellis.

i've never been a Pirelli fan until now, either.

not real fond of any kumho tire except for the victoracers or v700s. the 712s are horrible and i can only imagine how their non-ultra high performance tires are.

I have Kumho ASX and they are orrible in the snow (but I expected them to be). I had Kumho HP series on my last car (FWD) and they did great in the snow - you couldn't beat the $36 price per tire for a set of winter wheels.

this past winter was top 5 in terms of snow in New England. got to drive both sets of tires (proxes 4 & Pzero M&S) in each snowstorm. there is no question in my mind that the Pzeros have better snow grip.

the proxes 4 are sufficient and can get you through some things, but they don't bite as well as the Pirellis.

i've never been a Pirelli fan until now, either.

not real fond of any kumho tire except for the victoracers or v700s. the 712s are horrible and i can only imagine how their non-ultra high performance tires are.

Good to have the comparison from someone who has both... Thanks! Like I said, I've been happy w/ the Toyos so far, but I've also had Pirellis in the past that have been good, so maybe those will be the ones to try once the Toyos are dead...

• 3 months later...

You can't beat a dedicated winter tire. All season suck period. They are a compromise and don't give the best performance in any condition. We used dedicated winter tires on the LGT last year, and won't ever go back to all seasons

http://www.wardphotography.net/lgt/IMG_1081.JPG

Here is my Legacy with winters as well

http://www.wardphotography.net/lgt/IMG_1078.JPG

I have a slightly odd question. I use two sets of tires on the Miata, and have every intention of doing so with a future legacy, as well.

How do the P-Zero Nero M/S and Toyo Proxes 4 compare to their summer counterparts, like the P-Zero Rosso, or T-1S or T-1R?

I have heard recently (I think an article posted in these forums) that Ultra-performance all-seasons might be a good alternative to full summers. Very close to the same performance limits, plus the ability to handle a little bit of cold or light snow before or after the main season.

I know a M/S tire is a compromise from a dedicated summer-performance tire, but I am wondering, at the level of the above tires, how much of a compromise. I hate having snow tires on too long, when the roads get clear, and I ams still hampered by wobbly snows. But invariably, we get one last blast. OR the first one catches me off guard before I get the snows on. Such is life in Iowa.

But, I don't want to be hampered in June, July, and August, when the roads are dry and clean, and I am having some back-road apex-hitting fun.

So, with dedicated snows for the winter, does the assembled company suggest full-on summers, and un-seasonable weather be damned, or really-high-perf all-seasons, for the bit of insurance between seasons, because dry-perf isn't that different?

Archived