LegacyGT.com

Discouraging Issue

VTGT

Now that i read two veryyyyy lengthy threads on the stutter. I am very discouraged in purchashing a 2006 GT. I did read that the 06 might have reduced stuttering, but that is still unacceptable. When i was test driving the 05 i i felt a surge and i thought it was turbo lag, but now that i think of it, it sounds like the stuttering everyone is describing. I wanted this car because it was unique and reliable, but i'm starting to question my intentions. Does anyone think that there will ever be a permanent fix for the legacy GT or am i just wasting my time?

oh come on.... u have a turbo!! i dont! i chose the NA engine for economical reasons, you got a GT!! the FUN car!! enjoy it! its just a "mild" stuttering... i mean ya sure it'lll get annoying, but think of how much fun you'll have in your brand spankin new 06 GT!!

the pros and benefits that the car offers by far outweighs its flaws...

(despite the sux0r tires that is... )

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

I've been hyper-sensitive trying to "feel" the studder many mention and I've yet to notice it. I do know that when the go pedal is pushed, the car goes with a vengence. Yeah it's got a bit of lag, but that's to be expected. Kinda reminds me of a rochester 4 barrel the way they used to kick in and bring on the power. Guess i'm kinda dating myself, but who cares eh? The car is a blast and has classy looks to go with it. Don't worry about it, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

I very rarely notice it. When a fix was thought to be available, I wanted it to make the car "perfect", but it didn't seem to fix the issue.

However, I notice it probably once every couple months now. It's not a big deal at all.

It's present on my wife's 05 MT 2.5 XT OB. She doesn't, AFAIK, notice it (she's a pretty conservative driver), but I do, an it would drive me batty. I'm expecting delivery of an 05 MT LGT wagon any time now. Don't know if it has it or not. I don't think it will be an issue since I plan to got to a TDC map almost immediately, and, apparently, the TDC map, if not the Cobb, fixes it.

I read about the "stutter" before buying my LGT MT and I was concerned. I drove at least four LGTs (including a Spec B) before finally buying my LGT. I never experienced anything approaching a stutter in any of these cars. That having been said, you will experience turbo lag if you "granny shift" the car. You will also notice that the engine is somewhat rough if you accelerate hard immediatley after a cold start. Neither of these are fatal flaws.

One word of advise, Never buy any car you have not driven first. Drive an LGT. If there is something questionable about the engine in your mind, then don't buy it. Drive another one. You're spending a lot of money so make sure you have a good degree of confidence in the car you buy.

So i'm sorta coming to a conclusion that the stutter is more prevalent in manual transmissions than the automatics. And also it seems that the issue occurs more and with more severity in the 05 models than the 06's? So the auto '06 should have less stuttering if anything at all. Yes i am test driving it.

I've read a lot about the ECU re-mapping that was supposed to reduce the stuttering, does anyone know if the 06's were mapped with that one from the factory to help eliminate the same problem?

^ +1

people need to stop hammering the gas when the engine is cold.. the O2 sensors are not even up to temp and and people are just hammering away and the ECU is doing what it can with timing and fueling.. I gotta dig up what Cobb said the actual issue was..

Keefe

I can easily recreate the stutter with the engine plenty warm, temperature has proven irrelevant in my car, it doesn't get that cold here anyway. I can also easily avoid it by keeping the rpms up. It's a matter of adjusting your driving style accordingly. It gets me most when I'm in slow traffic and then traffic suddenly starts moving more quickly. I don't typically downshift because there's a good chance they'll be slowing down again, but accelerating from a little over 2K rpm will almost undoubtetly cause studdering in my car.

Its not that bad. Its a little slow on spooling compared to the civic. But its not bad. You can always fix that with some new pipes and a tune.

Drive the STi, Im sure it spools slower, but makes much more power at the same psi. You will be very happy with the car. Its a nice car thats pretty peppy stock. Youll learn to deal with the lag and how to avoid it as much as possible.

Archived